[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 16 Jul 2005 - Part Two]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

128.000 vittime irachene dall'inizio della guerra
UPI - Peacelink
Un'organizzazione umanitaria irachena ha riportato che 128.000 iracheni
sono stati uccisi dall'inizio dell'invasione USA nel marzo 2003. Mafkarat
al-Islam dichiara che il capo dell' organizzazone umanitaria 'Iraqiyun a
Baghdad, Dr. Hatim al-'Alwani, afferma che la cifra include tutti quelli
uccisi da quella data, aggiungendo che il 55 % di quelli uccisi sono stati
donne e bambini al di sotto dei 12 anni...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13796&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13796

Nella terra di nessuno
Dahr Jamail, Comedonchisciotte.org
Il confine tra l'Iraq e la Giordania è una terra di desolazione. Bobine di
filo spinato si snodano nel deserto mentre vi si impigliano dei sacchetti
di plastica ingrigiti dal sole, sventolati da venti caldi e secchi. Nella
terra di nessuno, Jamail espone un'altra faccia delle conseguenze umane
dell'occupazione statunitense subita dall'Iraq – la sofferenza e la
resistenza dei rifugiati Curdi-Iraniani e palestinesi...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13765&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13765

The Unified Theory of the Corruption of the Bush Administration
Xymphora
You can pretty much assume that journalists handling secret sources don't
talk to each other, and can also assume that the Vice President's Office
and Rove don't talk much, out of motives of possible personal animosity and
to avoid the type of Watergate and Iran-Contra problems of which they are
fully aware through bitter personal experience. What if Cheney or Libby
found out about Plame (possibly from the memo referred to here, but it
could! have come from anywhere), and, rather than tell Rove directly, told
Miller? There seems to be a Cheney-Miller connection, as evidenced by the
fact that the Miller aluminum tubes story was immediately followed by
Cheney using it in his build-up to war...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13793&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13793

London oddities
Xymphora
...Once you accept the theory that the bombers were tricked, you also have
to accept the possibility that they were tricked by someone other than
Islamic terrorists. You also have to accept the possibility that none of
the bombers had any idea that they were carrying bombs. Now that the
attempted frame-up of the Egyptian biochemist is falling apart - a frame-up
which bizarrely led to the British police completely revising their theory,
based presumably on chemical residues, that sophistic! ated military
explosives were used when they found some cleaning materials in the
bathtub! - we are starting to see the Official Story slowly fall apart...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13794&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13794

Free Iraqi Blogger Khalid Jarrar
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
The only news and information worth a damn coming out of occupied Iraq
comes from Dahr Jamial and the Iraqi bloggers. In order to enforce a total
vacuum-lock on the truth, the Iraqi puppet government and the Pentagon are
in the process of eliminating the truth-seekers—for instance, Khalid
Jarrar, who posts a blog entitled Tell Me a Secret...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13790&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13790

Plan Called for Covert Aid in Iraq Vote
Laura, War and Piece
Ripples from the latest Seymour Hersh article, not even published yet: The
article cites unidentified former military and intelligence officials who
said the administration went ahead with covert election activities in Iraq
that "were conducted by retired C.I.A. officers and other non-government
personnel, and used funds that were not necessarily appropriated by
Congress." But it does not provide details and says, "the methods and the
scope of the cove! rt effort have been hard to discern" (...) Despite the
denials by some Bush administration officials on Saturday, others who took
part in or were briefed on the discussion said they could not rule out the
possibility that the United States and its allies might have provided
secret aid to augment the broad overt support provided to Iraqi candidates
and parties by the State Department, through organizations like the
International Democratic Institute...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13791&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13791

UK Paper Drops Suicide Bomb Theory
Fintan Dunne
Now that didn't take long --the mainstream, Mirror newspaper in the U.K.
has just dropped the 'suicide bombers' theory on the London blasts. It
wasn't holding water anyway. The new mainstream line is that the bombers
were duped by their Al-Qaida "mastermind" handler. They didn't realise that
they would never survive the bombing run. This new angle is much, much
closer to the truth. Dangerously close. And this development shows the
mainstream media now in danger of l! osing their spin hold on the story...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13787&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13787

The Martians Have Landed! A Little Conspiracy Theorizing from BuzzFlash...
Patrick Fitzgerald, Rove Has Got You In His Sights, Take Care.
A BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS
...Just look at how the mainstream media abetted the Bush Administration
lying us into a war and then undercutting our national security by exposing
a CIA operative who specialized in tracking the very weapons that Bush and
Cheney claimed we were going to war to stop from being used by Iraq. Of
course, there were no Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq! . Tens of
thousands of people have died as a result. Billions upon billions of our
taxpayer dollars that could have been used to improve the lives of our
people here in America have been wasted. And all Rove, Bush, Cheney and the
GOP can do is defend outing a CIA operative who was trying to prevent the
spread of Weapons of Mass Destruction...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13784&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13784

A Permanent Presence
Ari Berman, The Nation
...While the exact figure may change, suspicions of undisclosed US imperial
plans--exemplified by permanent military bases--rightfully linger. Before
the war, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz suggested moving US troops
stationed in Saudi Arabia into Iraq. In October, a survey by the University
of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes found that
two-thirds of respondents disapproved of a permanent military presence,
even though more than half though! t the US would build the bases anyway...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13782&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13782

An Out of Iraq! Teach-in On The 3rd Anniversary of the Smoking Gun Downing
Street Memo
David Swanson, Afterdowningstreet.org
Please Join Congresswoman Maxine Waters, Progressive Democrats of Los
Angeles, Iraq Veterans Against the War & Other Peace Activists for an
Out of Iraq! Teach-in On The 3rd Anniversary of the Smoking Gun Downing
Street Memo
Participate in a ...
Day of Truth
Saturday, July 23, noon-3 PM
Covenant Worship Center
425 So. La Brea Ave. (2 blocks south of Manchester in ),
Inglewood, Calif.

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13781&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13781

Help the Economy: Invest Your Son
War and Venture Capitalism
NORMAN SOLOMON, CounterPunch
During the Vietnam War, one of the peace movement's more sardonic slogans
was: "War is good business. Invest your son." In recent years, some eminent
pundits and top government officials have become brazen about praising war
as a good investment. Thomas Friedman's 1999 book "The Lexus and the Olive
Tree" summed up a key function of the USA's high-tech arsenal. "The hidden
hand of the market will never work without ! a hidden fist," he wrote.
"McDonald's cannot flourish without McDonnell Douglas, the designer of the
U.S. Air Force F-15. And the hidden fist that keeps the world safe for
Silicon Valley's technologies to flourish is called the U.S. Army, Air
Force, Navy and Marine Corps."...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13780&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13780

Not Reporting the War – BBC AGM
William Bowles, I'n'I
This Tuesday (19th July) 7pm, at the BBC Television Centre the Board of
Governors are going to be holding their AGM, and we are going to be there
to protest at their failure to cover the truth about the war against Iraq.
From the run up to the war until the present day the BBC’s coverage of the
Iraq war and the role of our politicians has been lamentable.
* Genuine antiwar voices have been absent from our screens,
* Knowledgeable experts such as former weapons inspectors have been ignored,
* The true costs in innocent lives resulting from our programme of
sanctions goes unmentioned.
* The orgy of killing by our forces has been glossed over and sanitised...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13779&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13779

Dog Days of Summer
Reporter’s notebook: Amid explosions, suicide bombers and oppressive heat,
an optimist reaches his breaking point
Joe Cochrane, Newsweek
I’ve always been something of an optimist, but everyone has a breaking
point. Mine came on Saturday as I toured the infamous “Green Zone” in
central Baghdad. This fortress is quite literally the heart of the new
Iraq, not to mention the only safe place in the country. Then again, maybe
not. Roadblocks, blast walls and barbed wire are the mos! t common sights
in this walled-in mini-city, called the international zone, which is
fitting because these days it’s guarded by soldiers from Georgia—and I
don’t mean the U.S. state. The Green Zone has changed a lot since I was
last here, around 18 months ago, and so has Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13778&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13778

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.