[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 17 Apr 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Tarmiya: The Silent Agony. The Empire tries to deny the abuse and killings
of innocent civilians.
Dirk Adriaensens, BRussells Tribunal
This horrible and very dramatic story of US abuse and killings of innocent
Iraqi civilians, published at
<http://www.brusselstribunal.org/Articles.htm#Tarmiya>http://www.brusselstribunal.org/Articles.htm#Tarmiya
and <http://www.uruknet.info/?p=11112, >http://www.uruknet.info/?p=11112,
has reached the military in Iraq. A major Bob Bateman is furious and tries
to deny the facts. Just read his mail underneath and feel the anger of a
GI. Now I understand why the Iraqi author of that article wanted to keep
anonymity... It's dangerous out there, with all those wild US animals
around. And this major Bateman says he "lives" there, he doesn't say he's
"stationed" there. So it's obvious that he intends to stay more
permanently. Poor Iraqi's. I can assure everyone that the horrible story of
this Iraqi family is true...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11154&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11154

Reprieve for the Sire;
A post-analytic exposé
Rosa Faiz
...One may in fact be tempted to call the current era a Post-Analytic Era.
Meaning, we are well-past the point where analysis alone is the primary
needed catalyst to spark a change in the hearts and minds of the truly
downtrodden. One may more efficaciously invest in growing less scared of
the system by creating autonomous institutions of our own, and thus
becoming less impressed by the system's claims to omnipotence, and more
discerning ! of its weaknesses. For it can only be a supremely unstable and
weekly-invested system that needs to kill and deceive, murder and rape and
insult daily for its survival...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11150&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11150

Does the Resistance Target Civilians? According to US Intel, Not Really
M. Junaid Alam, Left Hook
The ceaseless demonization of Iraqis committed to ending foreign control of
their country is a key ideological crutch for maintaining the American
occupation. Smearing the armed resistance as a band of murderous thugs is
well understood by American war planners to be a crucial part of effective
counter-insurgency work. Obviously, brutal and horrific attacks on Iraqi
civilians have been carried out by some forces clai! ming to be a part of
the resistance. But there is strong evidence from US government and
independent intelligence data suggesting that this phenomenon has been
wildly exaggerated and torn out of context, creating a false public
perception that serves to prop up domestic support for the occupation...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11157&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11157

Iraqi troops call halt to Maidan assault
Aljazeera.net
Iraqi troops battling in a town near Baghdad to rescue Shia hostages held
by Sunni fighters, have halted their offensive after meeting fierce
resistance, government officials said (...) However national security
adviser Qasim al-Daud denied later in parliament that any hostages had been
found. "Three posts where hostages were suspected to have been detained
have been raided, but unfortunately we have not found any trace of the
detainees", he told Iraq's Nati! onal Assembly...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11163&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11163

Mystery Shrouds Hostage Crisis in Iraqi Town
IslamOnline.net
...But several locals in Al-Madaen, where shops have started closing in
anticipation of fierce fighting, insisted that the whole thing was
"fabricated" and there was no hostage crisis. "I am afraid we will pay the
price for media reports which are not true. Troops are cutting off the
entrance to Al-Madaen. If they attack we will defend ourselves," one
resident who declined to be identified told Reuters. Emad Dawoud, another
resident of the town, gave si! milar statements. "There are no Sunni
militants holding Shiite civilians hostage," he told Al-Jazeera news
channel Sunday from inside the besieged town. He admitted there were tribal
clashes in the town...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11160&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11160

World Tribunal on Iraq to Convene in Istanbul on June 23rd
Al-Jazeerah
The organisers of the World Tribunal on Iraq (WTI) held a press conference
today at the Sabanci University Communication Center in Istanbul providing
details of the final session of the Tribunal that will be held at the
Topkapi Palace Grounds in Istanbul between the23 rd and the27 th of June.
The panel of advocates will include leading international figures, such as
Dennis Halliday, Prof. Richard Falk and Scott Ritter...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11161&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11161

ADL Poll: Americans Want to Kill Iranians
Kurt Nimmo
Polls are curious things. You can achieve the desired result if you word
questions a certain way. Consider the following paragraph: A majority of
the American people support military action by the United States and Israel
to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons as a last resort, according
the Anti-Defamation League's 2005 American Attitudes Toward Israel and the
Middle East, a public opinion survey of 1,600 American adults conducted
March 18-25 by th! e Marttila Communications Group...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11164&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11164

Three U.S. Troops Killed in Iraqi City of Ramadi
Reuters
Three U.S. soldiers were killed by mortar fire at a U.S. base in the city
of Ramadi overnight, the U.S. military said Sunday. Seven servicemen were
also wounded in the attack, three of them seriously, the military said in a
statement. The attackers were believed to have fled into a nearby mosque.
But when Iraqi security forces searched it, they found no insurgents...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11159&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11159

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 16 April 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
...A spokesman for the Martyr as-Sadr Office in Baghdad, 'Abd al-Hadi
ad-Darraji, denied claims carried in some news reports that there had been
an expulsion of Shi'ah from the city of al-Mada'in, south of Baghdad (...)
Al-Jazeera also reported that the Board of Muslim 'Ulama' Scholars, the
highest Sunni religious authority in Ira! q, had also denied those reports
supposedly coming from al-Mada'in...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11158&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11158

Editor in Denial
Les Blough, Editor , Axis of Logic
Joseph Farah, Founder, editor and chief executive officer of
WorldNetDaily.com wrote to us with a complaint of an article we posted as a
reprint. The article, titled, "Sex, Lies and Call Girls: Why the U.S. Media
Is a Whore", was written by Douglas Herman, published on LibertyForum.org
on March 17, 2005. In the article, Douglas Herman critiqued the media,
including WorldNetDaily, for their complicity in the war in Iraq. In that
critique, he stated: "When Jos! eph Farah, of WorldNetDaily.com,
editorializes that the US must flatten Fallujah, and then the Pentagon does
it, few see the connection." Mr. Farah complained to us, "I would like a
correction of your false assertion and guilt-by-association claims." We
publish the related correspondence below as an example of the media war
being waged among editors who support the war in Iraq and those who oppose
the war...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11156&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11156

Unrest in Central Asia: Freedom's Shining Hour?
Simon Jones, www.dissidentvoice.org
...Still, many liberals argue that "revolutions" such as those in Serbia,
Georgia, Ukraine and now Kyrgyzstan, though sponsored by the nasty US
empire, still deserve the support of progressives as long as they bring
with them more openness, more press freedom, and depose authoritarian
leaders such as Milosevic and even Hussein (though even the Christopher
Hitchenses have bitten the bullet on THAT one by now). I find this hard to
! stomach, considering that the REAL US diplomacy is not the storybook
promotion of democracy, but the penetration of other countries by the CIA
and the promotion of US corporate interests around the world, which
involves quite a different strategy, one of overthrowing democratic
governments (Guatemala, Iran, Greece, Chile, Nicaragua -- the list is
endless). Genuine democracy is inimical to corporations and by extension
the CIA...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11151&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11151

2.8 million Iraqis' petition warns of Iran domination
Iran Focus
Leaders and representatives of 11 Iraqi political parties and groups
unveiled a petition signed by 2.8 million Iraqis, sharply criticising
neighbouring Iran's rising meddling in Iraq and warning of the spectre of
"Islamic fundamentalism's stealthy domination" of their country (...) "The
Iranian regime is pursuing a very dangerous course in Iraq," Sheikh Ali
Al-Shammari, a Shiite tribal leader from southern Iraq said. "We, as Iraqis
who value our ind! ependence, feel we must speak out as strongly as
possible against this undeclared war by Iran on our people and
quasi-occupation of Iraqi territories by Tehran through their surrogates"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11162&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11162

Iraq violence destroys American claims
Patrick Cockburn, The Independent
...The upsurge in violence across Iraq in the past four days has left
Pentagon claims that the tide is turning in Iraq and there are hopeful
signs of a return to normality in tatters. Ironically, one reason why
Washington can persuade the outside world that its venture in Iraq is
finally coming right is that it is too dangerous for reporters to travel
outside Baghdad or stray far from their hotels in the capital...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11149&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11149

Confusion over Iraq hostage taking
Aljazeera.net
Peaceful efforts to secure the release of up to 60 Shia Muslim hostages
allegedly threatened with death in a town near Baghdad have failed and
Iraqi authorities are considering military action, officials said on
Saturday (...) However, confusion surrounds the incident in the southern
Iraqi town of Madain. A spokesman for Muqtada al-Sadr, Shaikh Abd al-Hadi
al-Daraji, denied that the incident had taken place at all and said no
hostages had been taken. "I contacted m! y brothers in the town who denied
the news reports," al-Daraji told Aljazeera. He said the reports were meant
to incite sectarian tensions...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11148&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11148

The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
Naomi Klein, The Nation
Last summer, in the lull of the August media doze, the Bush
Administration's doctrine of preventive war took a major leap forward. On
August 5, 2004, the White House created the Office of the Coordinator for
Reconstruction and Stabilization, headed by former US Ambassador to Ukraine
Carlos Pascual. Its mandate is to draw up elaborate "post-conflict" plans
for up to twenty-five countries that are not, as of yet, in conflict.
According to Pascual, it will also! be able to coordinate three full-scale
reconstruction operations in different countries "at the same time," each
lasting "five to seven years." Fittingly, a government devoted to perpetual
pre-emptive deconstruction now has a standing office of perpetual
pre-emptive reconstruction...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11147&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11147

Ricin: The plot that never was
Severin Carrell and Raymond Whitaker, Indipendent
It was a weapon of mass destruction, a warning that we all needed to be
"vigilant and alert". Weeks before the invasion of Iraq, it was presented
as the final proof that Saddam Hussein was in league with al-Qa'ida. Anyone
wanting to exploit the politics of fear could scarcely conjure up anything
more potent than the news that a suspected terrorist cell had been making
ricin, one of the deadliest poisons known to man, in a north Londo! n flat.
But there was no ricin - a fact suppressed for more than two years...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11144&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11144

11 detainees escape from U.S. detention facility, largest in Iraq
THOMAS WAGNER, AP
Eleven detainees escaped Saturday from the U.S. military's largest
detention centre in Iraq, and at least 13 Iraqis and one U.S. soldier died
in insurgent attacks, including the bombing of a restaurant favoured by
policemen and a suicide car bomb explosion near a U.S. military convoy.
Government officials and a Shiite political group also said Sunni militants
were holding dozens of Shiites hostage in the central Iraqi town of Mada!
in and threatening to kill them unless all Shiites left the area...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11143&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11143

Boorish Bolton and Arrogant Rice
Diplomacy, Bush Style
BRIAN CLOUGHLEY, CounterPunch
There is sometimes a black and ironic humor about the Bush administration's
approach to diplomacy, and two Reuters' headlines on April 12 were enough
to make a cat laugh. They were "Rumsfeld visits Iraq; warns against
corruption" and "US audit probes $212 million in Halliburton Iraq work".
The ludicrous contrast is in the same league as Bush Washington's outraged
finger-wagging about human rights last month, which was m! et with barely
concealed mirth by the many world leaders who consider that those living in
glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11142&s2=17>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11142

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.