uruknet.info: truth about iraq / la verità su ll'iraq

*Halliburton Subpoenaed Over Unit's Iran Work*
/Matt Daily/
A U.S. grand jury issued a subpoena to Halliburton Co. seeking
information about its Cayman Islands unit's work in Iran, where it is
illegal for U.S. companies to operate. Halliburton's engineering and
construction unit KBR, formerly called Kellogg Brown & Root, is also the
subject of U.S. Justice Department and SEC investigations for possible
overcharges for fuel and food service contracts in Iraq, where it is the
largest contractor, holding contracts that could eventually be worth $18
billion...   continua / continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4251>
[4251] [ 20-jul-2004 08:55 ECT ]

*Perché abbiamo sbagliato tanto, in Iraq*
/Scott Ritter, ex ispettore capo dell'Onu per l'Iraq/

<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4250>All'inizio di quest'anno ho
testimoniato davanti a due organismi che investigavano sui fallimenti
dei servizi di intelligence inglese e americano - il Senate Select
Commitee e la Butler Commission. Entrambi si occupavano dei rapporti sui
programmi di armi di distruzione di massa in Iraq. La supposta esistenza
di questi programmi è stata la base per l'invasione del paese, nel marzo
2003. Il Senato ha prodotto un rapporto il 9 luglio, la commissione
Butler ha fatto lo stesso mercoledì. Entrambi sono stati fortemente
critici, entrambi hanno sottolineato le competenze dei due servizi di
intelligence, che erano stati accusati di aver in malafede esagerato e
mal presentato i dati realmente disponibili sulle capacità di produzione
di armi dell'Iraq. Quest'errore da parte dei servizi è stato grave e
l'impatto negativo sulla reputazione dei principali servizi segreti al
mondo, la CIA e la DIA degli Usa e il MI-6 inglese, impiegherà anni,
forse più, per essere dimenticato. Puntare il dito sull'inesattezza
delle analisi è giusto, limitare le critiche ai fallimenti non lo è...
  continua / continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4250>     [4250] [
20-jul-2004 08:36 ECT ]

*FLASHBACK: Defending Saddam, Not President Bush*
/Jude Wanniski/
...In the last several years I have written myriad commentaries about
Saddam, including several explicit memos "In Defense of Saddam Hussein"
on this website. Go into the site search and you will find them. The
only reason I can write in this vein is only that I believe he has been
unjustly accused of a specific charge. I cannot defend him or his regime
against charges that are beyond my ken and I have never done so. But
where I have had access to information and expertise on other serious
charges leveled against Saddam and have concluded he was innocent of
those charges, I could in good conscience step forward in his
defense.This is not something I undertook in the last year and a half,
but an enterprise I began in 1990, at the time of Iraq's invasion of
Kuwait. In the years since, I have concluded that he could be defended
for his decisions in the war with Iran, defended for his decisions in
Iraq's conflict with Kuwait, defended against the charge that he
committed genocide against the Kurds, defended against the charge that
he tried to assassinate former President Bush in 1993...   continua /
continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4249>     [4249] [ 20-jul-2004
00:18 ECT ]

*Traumatic brain injury, a 'silent handicap,' affects many Iraq vets*
/MATTHEW B. STANNARD, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE/
...While experts say that perhaps 20 percent of injured veterans of past
wars suffered from TBI, early estimates from screening at Walter Reed
Army Medical Center in Washington of injured troops returning from Iraq
deemed at high risk for TBI suggest that, whatever their other wounds,
as many as two-thirds also had brain injuries...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4247>     [4247] [ 19-jul-2004 21:44 ECT ]

*Iraq Scandals, Media Failures is Next*
/Danny Schechter, MediaChannel.Org/
...Critics of the war were not just ridiculed. They were ignored and
marginalized. Former BBC chief Greg Dyke (who was forced to resign
because of a scandal involving BBC reporting which was later found to be
baseless)said that of 800 experts interviewed on US TV in the run up to
the war and during the US invasion only 6 challenged the war,. A Study
by FAIR of 1716 on air sources cited on TV News in this period, 71%
supported the war, only 3% opposed it...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4246>     [4246] [ 19-jul-2004 21:38 ECT ]

*Top commanders in Iraq allowed dogs to be used*
/John Diamond, USA TODAY/
U.S. military commanders in Iraq authorized the use of dogs for
interrogations at the Abu Ghraib prison five months after Defense
Secretary Donald Rumsfeld barred the practice for terrorism suspects at
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to classified military documents. Lt.
Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, then the U.S. commander in Iraq, allowed dogs to
be present during interrogations beginning Sept. 14, 2003...   continua
/ continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4245>     [4245] [ 19-jul-2004
21:12 ECT ]

*A sinister design unfolds*
/Shireen M Mazari/

<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4244>With a new interim government in place
in Iraq, a clearer picture is emerging of the US global strategy of
regime change embodied in its Pre-emptive Doctrine (...) In fact, with
all the dissidents, technocrats and other typologies of Muslims from
different Muslim states, residing over a long period of time in the West
- that is, primarily the US, but also Britain and parts of so-called
"old Europe" - with careful crafting, altering the structure of the
political elites in Muslim states is not all that difficult...
  continua / continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4244>     [4244] [
19-jul-2004 20:08 ECT ]

*Accounting for Iraq*
/The Guardian/
While this country was digesting the findings of Lord Butler's report on
intelligence findings in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, a more
damning account of intelligence failings in Iraq was being unveiled in
Washington - failings that occurred since the war, under the aegis of
the occupiers, and involving billions of dollars...   continua /
continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4242>     [4242] [ 19-jul-2004
19:22 ECT ]

*Iraqis chant for Saddam*
/News24.com/

<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4241>Iraqis chanted in support of Saddam
Hussein and against the United States after a suicide truck bomber
ripped through a line of police cars in Baghdad on Monday, leaving a
massive crater ringed with mangled chunks of metal and burnt flesh
(...)"With all our blood and souls we defend you Saddam," they cried,
prompting Iraqi national guards, who were trying to secure the blast
site, to fire into the air to disperse them. A national guard captain
himself, however, turned on the US-led military presence as the root
cause of the mayhem that has ravaged Iraq for the past 15 months. "The
Americans must leave. All of this is their fault. We did not have
attacks such as this before they arrived," said the captain who only
gave his name as Hamid...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4241>     [4241] [ 19-jul-2004 18:51 ECT ]

*The Crisis of Information in Baghdad. Four Missiles, 14 Deaths*
/ROBERT FISK, The Independent/
This is how they like it. An American helicopter fires four missiles at
a house in Fallujah. Fourteen people are killed, including women and
children. Or so say the hospital authorities. But no Western journalist
dares to go to Fallujah (...) As in Afghanistan, so in Iraq. US air
strikes are becoming "uncoverable", as the growing insurgencies across
the two countries make more and more highways too dangerous for foreign
correspondents. Senior US journalists claim that Washington is happy
with this situation; bombing wedding parties and claiming the victims
were terrorists--as has happened three times in a year--doesn't make
good headlines...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4240>     [4240] [ 19-jul-2004 18:39 ECT ]

*US Casualty Rate High Since Handover. Long guerrilla war is feared in
Iraq*
/Bryan Bender , The Boston Globe/
...But what is clear is that the anticoalition forces are getting more
aggressive, not less. "The handover doesn't mean we are going to see
less targeting of Americans," Joulwan said. "What is happening here is
that we are finding an increasing number of insurgents. They are
becoming much better organized and led"...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4239>     [4239] [ 19-jul-2004 17:56 ECT ]

*Red Cross urged to investigate Allawi claims*
/Tom Allard, Sydney Morning Herald/
The former British foreign secretary, Robin Cook, has urged the
International Committee for the Red Cross to investigate witness claims
that the new Iraqi prime minister, Iyad Allawi, shot dead six insurgents
last month. Revelations of the accounts of the killings by chief Herald
correspondent Paul McGeough at the weekend and the refusal of US
authorities to deny them outright sparked concerns around the world...
  continua / continued <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4238>     [4238] [
19-jul-2004 17:43 ECT ]

*Fallujans: Use oil cash to rebuild homes*
/Ahmed Janabi , Aljazeera.net/
Fallujans are staging a sit-in to demand compensation for property
destroyed during last April's US military offensive. Carrying banners
reading: "Rebuild our houses from our oil revenues", demonstrators say
they will not end their sit-in until their demands are met. They
acknowledged that some aid has reached the town, but they told
Aljazeera's correspondent it is "nothing in comparison to the cost of
the damage already inflicted by US warplanes". They have called on
international humanitarian organisations to provide immediate solutions
to end their prolonged suffering...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4237>     [4237] [ 19-jul-2004 17:33 ECT ]
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4237>

*US media kills story that Iraqi PM executed 6 prisoners*
/Khalid Hasan/
The US media has surprisingly failed to pick up the shocking disclosure
by Sydney Morning Herald, Australia's leading newspaper, that the Irqai
Prime Minister Iyad Allawi personally executed six suspected insurgents
in a Baghdad police station...   continua / continued
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4236>     [4236] [ 19-jul-2004 17:29 ECT ]

*www.uruknet.info <http://www.uruknet.info>: daily information on
occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts, in Italian and
English. *
/Any link will be greatly appreciated: you can get our banner or link
coordinates from our homepage.
Please let us know about new links, so that we can recall them in our
link-page.

/
 uruknet.info
*www.uruknet.info <http://www.uruknet.info>: **informazione quotidiana
sull'iraq occupato: notizie, analisi, documenti e testi, in italiano e
in inglese. *
/Un grazie fin d'ora per ogni link al ns. sito: potrete scaricare il
banner e trovare le coordinate sulla testata della ns. homepage.
Informateci di ogni nuovo link, in modo da poter contraccambiare e
segnalarlo. grazie!/

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4251>continua / continued      [4251] [

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4250>continua / continued      [4250] [

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4249>continua / continued      [4249] [

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4247>continua / continued      [4247] [
19-jul-2004 21:44 ECT ]

Iraq Scandals, Media Failures is Next
Danny Schechter, MediaChannel.Org
...Critics of the war were not just ridiculed. They were ignored and
marginalized. Former BBC chief Greg Dyke (who was forced to resign because
of a scandal involving BBC reporting which was later found to be
baseless)said that of 800 experts interviewed on US TV in the run up to the
war and during the US invasion only 6 challenged the war,. A Study by FAIR
of 1716 on air sources cited on TV News in this period, 71% supported the
war, only 3% opposed it...   <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4246>continua /
continued      [4246] [ 19-jul-2004 21:38 ECT ]

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4245>continua / continued      [4245] [

that difficult...   <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4244>continua / continued

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4242>continua / continued      [4242] [
19-jul-2004 19:22 ECT ]

Iraqis chant for Saddam
News24.com
<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4241>
Iraqis chanted in support of Saddam Hussein and against the United States
after a suicide truck bomber ripped through a line of police cars in
Baghdad on Monday, leaving a massive crater ringed with mangled chunks of
metal and burnt flesh (...)"With all our blood and souls we defend you
Saddam," they cried, prompting Iraqi national guards, who were trying to
secure the blast site, to fire into the air to disperse them. A national
guard captain himself, however, turned on the US-led military presence as
the root cause of the mayhem that has ravaged Iraq for the past 15 months.
"The Americans must leave. All of this is their fault. We did not have
attacks such as this before they arrived," said the captain who only gave
his name as Hamid...   <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4241>continua /
continued      [4241] [ 19-jul-2004 18:51 ECT ]

headlines...   <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4240>continua / continued
[4240] [ 19-jul-2004 18:39 ECT ]

US Casualty Rate High Since Handover. Long guerrilla war is feared in Iraq
Bryan Bender , The Boston Globe
...But what is clear is that the anticoalition forces are getting more
aggressive, not less. "The handover doesn't mean we are going to see less
targeting of Americans," Joulwan said. "What is happening here is that we
are finding an increasing number of insurgents. They are becoming much
better organized and led"...   <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4239>continua /
continued      [4239] [ 19-jul-2004 17:56 ECT ]

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4238>continua / continued      [4238] [

  <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4237>continua / continued      [4237] [
19-jul-2004 17:33 ECT ]<http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4237>

US media kills story that Iraqi PM executed 6 prisoners
Khalid Hasan
The US media has surprisingly failed to pick up the shocking disclosure by
Sydney Morning Herald, Australia's leading newspaper, that the Irqai Prime
Minister Iyad Allawi personally executed six suspected insurgents in a
Baghdad police station...   <http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=4236>continua /
continued      [4236] [ 19-jul-2004 17:29 ECT ]

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: daily information on occupied

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: informazione quotidiana