PeaceLink partecipa al Forum Mondiale Sociale di Porto Alegre (Brasile)

PeaceLink terra' un workshop nella giornata di sabato 2 febbraio, alle ore 14.
GRASSROOT MEDIA AGAINST MAINSTREAM MEDIA: EXPERIENCES OF SOCIAL ACTIVITIES BASED ON INFORMATION SHARING.
Person responsible for workshop: Francesco Iannuzzelli
e-mail: francesco at href.org
Thematic area: THEMATIC AREA III : BOLSTERING CIVIL SOCIETY AND THE PUBLIC REALM
Thematic issue: HOW TO ACHIEVE DEMOCRACY IN THE MEDIA
Summary/ aims of proposed workshop:
In the information age, the groups of social activist are learning to produce news, articles, bulletins and websites that can reach people directly, at low costs and without the intermediation of mainstream media and press agencies. There are many experiences in which the production of free information is the main field of social action for a group of volunteers. This workshop is promoted by "PeaceLink" (www.peacelink.it) an italian net-based organization that since 1991 produce informations about peace, human rights, social justice and ecologism, demonstrating that not only a different world, but also different information is possible, by focusing on people and troubles forgotten by the commercial media. We would like to promote a workshop for sharing our experiences with the ones of other people, groups and organization involved in the process of constructing the "global village" of social information as an alternative to the "globalized village" of the media corporations. We would like to discuss also of the political issues related to censorship, restrictions to press freedom and speech freedom, governmental control and filtering of informations, social use of cryptography.