popolazione

Cari tutti,
riguardo al dibattito sulla popolazione, ecco due fonti che sostengono
tesi in apparenza contrapposte.

Si noti comunque coloro che vedono la sovrappopolazione come un problema
parlano di popolazione Globale e quindi anche e soprattutto(?) del nord
del mondo

Spero interessi

Alessandro Gimona

http://www.populationaction.org/pubs/biodiv00/html/summary.htm

                                           The world's biological wealth
is
                                           dwindling. Earth–the only
location
                                           in the universe that we know
                                           supports life–is being
transformed
                                           into a world that is
genetically
                                           poorer. The loss is
irretrievable,
                                           and its roots lie in the
spectacular
                                           success of a single species:
us,
                   Homo sapiens. The disappearance of species,
proceeding
                   thousands of times faster today than in the pre-human
past, is still
                   accelerating and is likely to advance even more
rapidly in the 21st
                   century. No one can know when the process will end,
or what the
                   world of nature will look like when it does.

                   Hopeful signs do brighten this dark prospect,
however. Among the
                   most hopeful is that human population may well reach
a plateau or
                   peak by the middle of the 21st century. The pressure
of human
                   activities on remaining habitats could reach a
maximum around the
                   same time–and then, perhaps, begin to subside.

                   Among the most pressing questions are: Does human
population
                   growth really matter
                   significantly influence human population trends, and
can they do
                   this while upholding the basic human right of couples
and
                   individuals to make their own decisions about
reproduction, free
                   from interference? The evidence shows that the answer
to all
                   these questions is yes.

                   Scientists are becoming increasingly convinced that
human beings
                   have caused ecosystem change and species extinction
almost
                   since our own species emerged. Between 50,000 and
10,000 years
                   ago, as early populations of humans expanded across
the
                   continents, more than 200 species of large animals
disappeared
                   forever. Then, between 1,500 and 500 years ago, as
human
                   populations reached the farthest oceanic islands,
over 1,000
                   species of island birds went extinct. Today's wave of
extinctions,
                   however, is even more extensive. Moreover, it is
fundamentally
                   different from its two predecessors in ways that
relate strongly to
                   the pervasiveness and size of today's human
population:

                        For the first time, human activities are
affecting
                        species of all types and habits, at all points
of the
                        globe, and pushing many toward extinction.
Scientists
                        project that at least half of all living species
could ultimately
                        disappear due to habitat loss alone, creating a
mass
                        extinction on a scale comparable to those that
have ended
                        past geologic eras.

                        Apart from habitat loss, other agents of
human-caused
                        extinction are now at work. Even more species
could

                  disappear as a result of pollution, overhunting,
overfishing
                        and inadvertent introduction of exotic species
into
                        weakened ecosystems. Hanging over the future of
all life is
                        the puzzle of how global climate will change in
coming
                        centuries as a result of human influences, and
how these
                        changes will affect ecosystems and the species
they
                        support.

                        Not all species are at risk, however. Evolution
is
                        resilient. A small percentage of species–from
pigeons, to
                        weeds, to microbial parasites–have proliferated
beyond their
                        pre-human numbers or ranges. Rapidly evolving
pests and
                        disease-causing organisms could swell their
ranks.
                        Humanity itself, with more than 30 times the
population
                        density it ever could have achieved without
agriculture, now
                        appears to have become the central organizing
reality
                        around which non-human life will evolve.
                        more...

> LATEST CORNER HOUSE BRIEFING PAPER
>
> The Malthus Factor:
> Poverty, Politics and Population in Capitalist Development
> No 20, July 2000
>
> Consider these statements:
>
> 'There will not be enough food in the world unless we use genetic
> engineering in agriculture - because of population growth in the Third
> World.'
>
> 'In countries which are already experiencing water shortages, millions
of
> people will be sentenced to hydrological poverty - because of
population
> growth in the Third World.'
>
> 'The security of Europe and the United States is under threat from
> immigration - because of population growth in the Third
he countries of the South are certainly
growing,

ur address to cornerhouse@gn.apc.org