3rd Anniversary Call to Action - End the War Now!

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>
ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 |

Let's bring antiwar sentiment out into the streets of every community
around the United States from March15-22, the week surrounding the
three-year anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Please forward widely!

Three Years Too Many
End the War on Iraq
Bring All the Troops Home Now

A Call for a Week of Local Action
March 15-22, 2006

March 19th will mark the third anniversary of a war that never should have
happened -- a war based on lies that continues to devastate the lives of
thousands, both in Iraq and the United States.

United for Peace and Justice joins our partners in the global antiwar
movement in calling for a massive outpouring of opposition to the war in
Iraq. We are urging opponents of the war to organize a wide array of events
in their hometowns for the entire week surrounding this anniversary. As
important as our periodic large national gatherings are, we believe it is
vital that we bring antiwar sentiment out into the streets of every
community around the country.

Last year, on the second anniversary of the war, more than 765 actions were
organized in response to the call from UFPJ for local antiwar protests.
This year we want to increase that number significantly, and expand
participation at each event.

Our national coalition will help local groups organize a range of events
and activities throughout the week of March 15-22, with the goals of
increasing the visibility of grassroots antiwar sentiment and bringing new
people into this movement. We encourage groups to plan educational events
and protest actions, including vigils, marches, rallies, non-violent civil
disobedience and other creative activities and to publicize them by
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/modinput4.php?modin=50>listing them on the
UFPJ website calendar.

In any given community, these activities might include:
* actions to expose the local costs of the war
* efforts to support the growing movement against military recruitment
* activities aimed at pressuring members of Congress and other elected
officials to speak out against the war
* events to highlight the attacks on our civil liberties
* programs that address issues of corporate accountability
* protests demanding that all of our troops be brought home now!

In the coming weeks, UFPJ will provide resources and materials to support
local groups in this organizing, including how-to guides, leaflets that can
be modified for local use, and much more. We will update you with news
about organizing efforts around the country and from around the world. (If
this message was forwarded to you by a friend, make sure to receive
our updates by <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email>signing up for our
low-volume email list.)

Whether or not you belong to a local antiwar group, there are many things
you can do right now -- today -- to start building momentum for the
third-anniversary actions.

1) Forward this email to everyone you know who agrees that it's time for
the war to end. We are the majority and we need to make our voices heard!

2) Post this call to action on your website or blog (and be sure to link to
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=71451564&url_num=6&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>www.unitedforpeace.org)

3) <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=27>Visit our
online peace group directory to find an organization in your area that you
can work with to plan March 15-22 events. Or, if there's no antiwar group
in your community, start one!

4) Help ensure we have the financial resources we need to move this work
forward and raise an unprecedented national outcry against the continued
bloodshed in Iraq. You can donate to United for Peace and Justice by
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>credit card online, by credit card
over the phone (212-868-5545), or by sending a check or money order to
UFPJ, P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, NY NY 10108.

Three years of persistent anti-war organizing are having a significant
political impact. A majority of people in the United States now agree with
the peace movement that this war never should have happened, and calls for
immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq are growing. More members
of Congress, retired generals and state department officials, newspaper
editorial boards and people from all walks of life are demanding the truth
and calling for an end to the war.

But the horrors continue. Three years of war have resulted in the deaths of
more than 2,000 U.S. service people, and thousands have come home with
horrific wounds they will carry for the rest of their lives. Estimates of
Iraqi deaths number in the tens of thousands, and more Iraqis are killed
every day. The schools, hospitals and homes hard hit by the U.S. military
have not been rebuilt. Foreign investors like Halliburton - not the Iraqi
people - control the Iraqi economy while the IMF and World Bank "give" a
$100 billion loan to Iraq, intent on locking the economic future of that
country into the same policies that have punished people around the world.

The war has already cost well over $200 billion in U.S. taxpayer money, and
there is no end in sight. At the same time, the people of Louisiana,
Mississippi and Alabama have yet to receive the resources they need to
recover from Hurricane Katrina and communities around the country are
impacted every day by drastic cuts in social spending. And the war has
brought new assaults on civil liberties and democratic rights.

The Bush administration is on the run as the foolhardiness and arrogance of
their "stay the course" policy has been exposed. Let us work together to
make this the last anniversary of this war. Join the week of local action
in March and help build the movement to end the war in Iraq and bring all
our troops home now!

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
To subscribe, visit
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email>www.unitedforpeace.org/email

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, visit
<http://www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp>www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp