[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 02 Aug 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Endless Terror as the Global Model for Transformation
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
...Iraq is a "terrorist breeding ground," but not of the sort "experts"
such as Gunaratna would have us believe. "Special ops have been vital to
answering some of the fundamental challenges of this war—fighting the enemy
on its own turf (and) supplying a model for transformation," declared the
neocon chickenhawk Dick Cheney in June. In other words, as sketched out by
the Defense Science Board (DSB) in 2002, the Proactive, ! Preemptive
Operations Group (P2OG) serves as the "model for transformation" in Iraq
and elsewhere. In short, special operations forces (under the direction of
the US Special Operations Command) are "stimulating reactions" among
"terrorists" in "off-the-books" fashion. Rumsfeld's Pentagon, according to
military analyst William Arkin, is engaged in "the largest expansion of
covert action by the armed forces since the Vietnam era." On August 16,
2002, the DSB released a PowerPoint briefing on P2OG, declaring "highly
specialized people with unique technical and intelligence skills such as
information operations, PSYOP, network attack, covert activities, SIGINT,
HUMINT, SOF, influence warfare/deception operations" would be unleashed,
sans oversight. P2OG does not "stimulate reactions" by handing out
lollipops (although a recent "suicide bombing" in al-Khalij, Iraq,
targeting Shi'ite children as they accepted candy from US troops, may be
part of Cheney's "model for transformation,! " an operation so heinous not
ever Abu Musab al-Zarqawi claim! ed responsibility)...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14295&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14295

IRAQ's Modern History
The Arab Majority and The Minorities
Aseel Nasir Dyck
The policy of "Divide and Rule" unfortunately is alive and well and has
beenused by all imperialists down the ages. The British used it well in
Iraq andplayed off tribe against tribe, Arab against Kurd, Sunnis against
Shiites, farmers against landowners and merchants, and so on. We rarely
hear nowadays that Iraq is predominately an Arab country with ethnic and
religious minorities, which is the case in most countries in the worl! d in
that there tends to be a majority ethnic group and a minority of other
diverse communities. We have to thank such quislings like Kenan Makiyya, a
shameless Iraqi who encourages the U.S. occupiers of Iraq to institute a
new state with no mention of "Arab" in it! He wants to "de-Arabize" the new
Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14312&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14312

Iraq Tribunal says
'Occupiers out; resistance is justified'
John Catalinotto, Workers World
After two years of documenting the guilt of the U.S. and UK governments in
carrying out an illegal aggression against the sovereign state of Iraq and
a criminal occupation of that country, a worldwide people's organization
has met in Istanbul, Turkey, and delivered its verdict. Veteran anti-war
spokespeople from around the world—from Japan to the United States—plus
former United Nations officials and Iraqis them! selves gave testimony and
reports from June 24 to 27 at the culminating session...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14298&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14298

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 1 August 2005.
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
...In a dispatch posted at 8:45pm Mecca time Monday evening, Mafkarat
al-Islam reported that a short while before an Iraqi Resistance bomb
exploded by a US patrol opposite the as-Sumud sports grounds in
al-Fallujah. Witnesses told the Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent that the
blast totally destroyed a US Humvee, killing four America! n Marines who
were aboard it. Witnesses reported that a US helicopter landed near the
scene of the attack and in the lights of US armored vehicles saw them
evacuating the bodies of dead US soldiers after the blast...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14309&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14309

Fallujah: city of death and despair
DAVID ENDERS
EIGHT months after United States troops led the second invasion of Fallujah
to flush out militants from the lawless Iraqi city, there is hardly a
street that does not still feature a building pulverised during the
assault. As many as 80 per cent of the 300,000-plus residents have come
home, but Fallujah has by no means returned to normal...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14307&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14307

Saddam lawyer boycotts tribunal over court scuffle
Maher Nazih, Reuters
Saddam Hussein's chief attorney vowed to boycott Iraq's war crimes tribunal
on Tuesday until a man he says attacked the former president during a
hearing is brought to justice and the court apologizes. Khalil Dulaimi said
his client, expected to stand trial as early as September, was dismissive
of prosecutors and judges working for the U.S.-backed Special Tribunal,
calling them American puppets. He said Saddam does not fear death...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14306&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14306

Iraq child prisoners abused by U.S. forces - Report
Aljazerea.com
...One witness, Kasim Mehaddi Hilas, detailed how a U.S. soldier raped a
"little kid" aged about 15 in the Abu Ghraib jail in Iraq. "The kid was
hurting very bad and they covered all the doors with sheets," he told
investigators probing prisoner abuse in Abu Ghraib. In another witness
statement, former detainee Thaar Salman Dawod said: "[I saw] two boys naked
and they were cuffed together face to face and [a U.S. soldier] was beating
them and a gro! up of guards were watching and taking pictures and there
was three female soldiers laughing at the prisoners"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14322&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14322

Bombing Mastermind Aswat Works for MI-6
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
As Fox News tells it, at the very moment the British police were supposedly
looking high and low for Dewsbury resident Haroon Rashid Aswat, pegged as
the London bombing "mastermind," MI-6 was quietly stowing him away for safe
keeping. In fact, they were protecting him as an asset, although we should
not expect Fox News to admit this "embarrassing" fact (watch this Fox
video). "The Times said Aswat was believed to have had a ten-year ass!
ociation with militant groups, and met Osama bin Laden at [a CIA-ISI built]
al-Qaida training camp in Afghanistan," Breaking News reported almost two
weeks ago. "The newspaper said it had obtained FBI documents indicating he
was sent to America in 1999 where he had firearms and poison training."

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14314&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14314

Feds File Secret Brief in Abu Ghraib FOIA Suit
Brendan Coyne, The NewStandard
Asserting that "privacy interests" and the safety of US troops trump the
"public interest," government lawyers seeking a way out of releasing
photographs and video reportedly documenting rampant abuse of detainees at
the infamous Abu Ghraib prison facility in Iraq have filed partially sealed
briefs with the court hearing the case. The American Civil Liberties Union
denounced the action as more stalling in a legal battle over the release!
of the documentation of what many are calling torture...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14305&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14305

Campus Antiwar Network Statement on Self-Determination and Unity in the
Antiwar Movement
TrapRock Peace Center - Orb Standard
As students organizing against the war on campuses across the United
States, we stand in support of full self-determination throughout the
Middle East, including the self-determination of Iraqis and of
Palestinians. As our generation is asked to sacrifice our consciences and
our lives for the sake of U.S. empire-building, we are committed to
opposing that empire-building in its entirety.! In the Middle East today,
illegal occupations exist not only in Iraq, but also in Palestine. We
believe the antiwar movement must stand
solidly against them both...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14304&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14304

Terror Expert: London Bombings Mastermind is MI6 Asset
Group was used by Brits in Kosovo in the late 90s
Steve Watson, Infowars
The July 29 edition of FOX News Channel's Day Side programme revealed that
the so called mastermind of the 7/7 London Bombings, Haroon Rashid Aswat,
is a British Intelligence Asset. Former Justice Dept. prosecutor and Terror
expert John Loftus revealed that the so called Al-Muhajiroun group, based
in London had formed during the Kosovo crisis, during which Fundamentali!
st Muslim Leaders (Or what is now referred to as Al Qaeda) were recruited
by MI6 to fight in Kosovo...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14324&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14324

U.S. Leaving Iraq? It's Still the Politics, Stupid
Bernard Weiner, The Crisis Papers
...As my earlier comments suggest, I think the U.S.-leaving-Iraq theory is
wishful thinking. Given the track record of Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, my
suspicion is that not much has changed with regard to their goals in Iraq
and in the Greater Middle East; their desire to "stay the course" in
fulfilling those objectives remains the same - though they may have to make
a tactical withdrawal of some forces in the service of that long-term !
strategy...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14325&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14325

Of Karl Rove, Nixon's Gray Ghost, Pinball Proto-Fascism,
Phil Rockstroh, Orb Standard
...Rove, Rumsfeld, Cheney -- these ruthless men are all Nixon's progeny.
They all got away scott free. In fact, they prospered in the cynical
post-Watergate era and they continue to perpetrate their crime right up to
the present time. Moreover, it is we, the American public, who bear
responsibly: we conjured these psychopaths with our ceaseless incantations
of denial...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14303&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14303

Ex-CIA Agent Says He Was Fired for Refusing to Falsify Irag WMD Intel
Staff and Wire Reports
An ex-CIA agent, who told superiors in 2001 that Iraq had abandoned part of
its nuclear program, is asking the FBI to investigate allegations that the
spy agency dismissed him for refusing to falsify intelligence. A July 11
letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller from the former agent's attorney
suggests CIA officials may be guilty of criminal violations involving
intelligence he produced on weapons of mass destruction in 2! 000 that
contradicted an official agency position...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14302&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14302

The Neo-Shill Media
When Armageddon Gets No Press
PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
...Now that we really need them, the watchdog media has hired out as public
relations and propaganda shills for the Bush administration and the neocon
network. The entire Bush administration-not merely the president-is
involved in the most extraordinary lies and fabrication of false
intelligence claims in order to lead America into an unwarranted and
illegal invasion of Iraq, an invasion that has cost the US taxpayers $300
billion and ! resulted in the deaths and maiming of tens of thousands of
people...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14301&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14301

Proposal: Nationwide Townhall Meetings with Congress Members Saturday, Aug 6th
Ben Frank
We all know that Bush & Co Lied to start this war, that the nation would be
outraged if not for the $$ media. Still, we know that nothing else matters-
Bush shouldn't be appointing judges or ambassadors, he should be in behind
bars. We need to ask each and every one of our CongressCritters why they
are not outraged by the revelations of the Downing Street Memo, by the
looting of our tax dollars by Halliburton- why did the Hou! se investigate
steroids but ignore the $9 Billion 'lost' by Bremer?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14321&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14321

Torturing Bodies and Language
Words Without Meaning
WILLIAM A. COOK, CounterPunch
Now is the time for Americans to consolidate the arguments that will hammer
through the wall of silence, of arrogance and of disdain that has insulated
this administration from culpability resulting from its insidious designs
to destroy America. As Rove's wrath, unveiled in his attempt to discredit
Ambassador Wilson, forces our slumbering journalists to awaken to the
despicable nature of this administration, the greater si! ns inherent in
coercing the American people to war through lies and the approval of
inhumane torture against all international laws and conventions cry out for
justice to prevail. It will not be easy...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14300&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14300

Seven Marines Killed in Western Iraq
SAMEER N. YACOUB. Associated Press Writer
Seven U.S. Marines were killed in two separate attacks west of Baghdad,
where American forces are trying to seal a major border infiltration route
for foreign fighters, the military said Tuesday. The deaths pushed the U.S.
military death toll in Iraq past 1,800. One of the Marines died Monday in a
suicide car bombing in Hit, 85 miles northwest of Baghdad. The other six
were killed Monday in Haditha, 50 miles from Hit -- all of them att! ached
to the same suburban Cleveland unit...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14299&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14299

Free Iraq: The Beirut Symposium - Readying for a Liberated Iraq
Imad Khadduri , Free Iraq
Recognizing the mounting strength of the Iraqi Resistance and the looming
departure of the defeated American-Anglo occupation forces from Iraq, the
Centre for Arabic Unity Studies organized a symposium on "The Future of
Iraq" that was held in Beirut, Lebanon during July 25 - 28 , 2005. Its
first related symposium was on "The Occupation of Iraq : Its Ramifications
on the Arab world and Regionally and Internationally" that was! held in
Beirut during March 8 - 11, 2004. While the first symposium dealt
extensively with Iraq under the occupation discussing more than 20
scholarly papers that were published in a 1088 pages proceedings, the
second symposium dealt with Iraq after the occupation...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14311&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14311

GI Special 3C8 "Stop This Insane War NOW" - July 31, 2005
www.militaryproject.org/
...The Iraq war has NEVER made sense. We were already in a major war and
another one would have stretched our military resources to the limit (which
it did). Gulf War Syndrome had never been addressed and, as I feared, our
soldiers are becoming mysteriously ill AGAIN. We did not built up the
numbers of our military past peacetime strength before engaging in this
war, and we had no strategy to keep the peace. My husband is a member ! of
the Army National Guard and I strongly resent having the threat of
deployment hanging over his head for the last three years. Three years of
limbo is counter-productive. There are many more like us. I strongly object
to having to give up my daughter to this war, even AFTER two Army doctors
had pronounced her medically unfit and "undeployable".

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14290&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14290

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 30 July 2005.
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
An Iraqi Resistance bomb exploded on the highway near the as-Saqlawiyah
area north of al-Fallujah, about 50km west of Baghdad, at 3pm local time
Saturday afternoon. Residents of as-Saqlawiyah told the al-Fallujah
correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam that a bomb that was planted by the
side of the highway north of al-Fallujah blew u! p as a US patrol drove by
on its way south into the city...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=14289&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=14289

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.