Up the Pressure on the $82 Billion

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
UP THE PRESSURE ON THE $82 BILLION
Congressional votes coming up - let them know:
No more money for war - Bring the troops home now!
See below for action and protest ideas

On Tuesday, March 15th the House of Representative is scheduled to vote on
the president's request for an additional $82 billion for the war in Iraq.
Just a few days later the 2nd anniversary of the beginning of that war will
be marked by protest activities in at least 300 cities around the country,
and scores of other places around the world. (Visit
http://www.unitedforpeace.org to find an action near you, or to list your
event.)

Now is the time to ratchet up our pressure on Congress and let them know
how disgusted we are at the waste of our tax dollars for this deadly,
criminal war. They have the power to stop the flow of money. Many of you
have already made calls, sent faxes, and organized lobby visits. Let's
expand and intensify those efforts by bringing more people and stronger
tactics into the struggle to stop this obscene $82 billion appropriation.

What You Can Do:

**CALL YOUR HOUSE MEMBER NOW. Call your representative between now and next
Tuesday when the House votes on the $82 Billion supplemental request. Tell
them to vote NO. It's a straightforward message: Not one more dime for this
war! Visit http://www.congress.org for contact info.

** PLAN NOW TO PRESSURE YOUR SENATOR LATER THIS MONTH. Congress is in
recess between March 21 and April 1. During that time many members are in
their home states. The $82 billion request will be taken up by the Senate
after that recess, so this two-week period is the perfect opportunity for
us to bring our message to our senators.

We urge you to make plans now for a visit to your two senators during this
time. Depending on your senators' past stance on the war and their stated
position on the $82 billion, your "visits" might be anything from a meeting
with your senators or their key aides to a picket outside of their offices
to a sit-in or other nonviolent civil disobedience action inside. It's time
that the pro-war Democrats, in particular, feel our grassroots outrage.

** PRESSURE THE SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE. We do not have an exact
date yet, but sometime in early April the Senate Committee on
Appropriations will have a hearing on the $82 billion budget request before
it goes to the floor of the Senate. Every member of that committee needs to
be flooded with phone calls, faxes, emails and visits. The full list of the
committee members is below, and for information on how to contact them
click here: http://appropriations.senate.gov/members/members.htm  Even if
you do not live in a state that has a senator on this committee, the
members should hear from you.

In all of these activities, our message should be clear: Stop the war in
Iraq, bring the troops home now, no more money for this war!

Please contact United for Peace and Justice if there is anything we can do
to help your local efforts. Be sure to check our web site for new resources
and organizing materials.

Let us use the occasion of the second anniversary of the war to re-double
our efforts to bring the troops home. And let's make sure Congress gets the
message: the antiwar movement is watching what they do!

MEMBERS OF THE SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE

Republican Members
Cochran, Thad (MS) , Chair
Stevens, Ted (AK)
Specter, Arlen (PA)