Uranio 236 nei proiettili NATO

From: Robert.Bisset@unep.org
  (UNEP News Release,For information only-Not an official record)

  GENEVA, 16 January 2001 – Early laboratory results confirm that
  pieces of DU penetrators found at sites targeted by NATO during
  the 1999 Kosovo conflict contain Uranium 236, the United Nations
  Environment Programme UNEP) reported here today.

  Scientists working for the UNEP Depleted Uranium (DU)
  Assessment Group are analysing the contents of the seven
  penetrators – ammunition tips made out of depleted uranium –
  found during a UNEP field mission to Kosovo in November 2000.

  Isotope analyses to determine the types of uranium present show
  that 0.0028 percent of the uranium in the penetrators is in the form
  of isotope U-236. The presence of U-236 indicates that part of the
  DU came from reprocessed uranium. This information was provided
  by one of the five laboratories being used by UNEP for its DU
  assessment work. According to the laboratory the content of U-236
  in the depleted uranium is so small that the radiotoxicity is not
  changed compared to DU without U–236.  However, the final
  assessment by UNEP will be made only once results from all
  laboratories are available.

  "This is first laboratory result based on our field work,"
  said UNEP
  Executive Director Klaus Toepfer. "We have asked the World
  Health Organization and all of our other partners for their
  assessments of this finding while we continue with the scientific
  analysis."

  UNEP's Kosovo field mission team, consisting of 14 experts from
  several countries, collected soil, water, and vegetation samples,
  conducted smear tests on buildings and destroyed army vehicles,
  and found penetrators and sabots. Remnants of DU ammunition
  were found at eight of the 11 sites that were visited.

  The 340 samples collected are now being analysed for both toxicity
  and radioactivity in five European laboratories in an effort to
  determine whether the use of DU during the Balkans conflict may
  pose any risks to human health or the environment.

  The results of the tests will be ready in early March 2001, when
  UNEP will publish a full report of its findings.

  Note to journalists: For more information, please contact UNEP
  Spokesperson Mr. Tore Brevik at +254-2-623292 or
  tore.brevik@unep.org; the UNEP Depleted Uranium Assessment
  Team Chairman Mr. Pekka Haavisto at +358-40-588 4720 or
  pekka.haavisto@upi-fiia.fi; or UNEP press officer Mr. Michael
  Williams at +41-22-9178242, +41-79-409-1528 or
  michael.williams@unep.ch.  See also http://balkans.unep.ch.

  UNEP News Release 01/04
  Robert Bisset
  Office of the Spokesman/Director