[Disarmo] Free Palestine - Gaza 16/03/2003 We remember Rachel Corrie - Fwd: [HumanRights] UK, Ireland & support

Oggetto: [HumanRights] UK, Ireland & support
Data: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:07:40 +0200
Mittente: Mazin Qumsiyeh <mazin at qumsiyeh.org>
A: Jure <glry at ngi.it>

[We remember Rachel Corrie, 23 year old murdered in Gaza 16 March 2003]

Dear colleagues:

This week, we solicit your invitations to host me (if possible with my
wife) in the summer (July or August) in the UK and Ireland (& other
countries). The three goals of this particular four-week tour will be:

1) Spend some research and writing time at Harrison Zoological Museum (in
Sevenoaks), the British Museum, and the Palestine Exploration Fund (both in
London). Comparing for example findings from 19th century in our
Palestinian cultural and natural heritage with our current situation will
produce research data about human effects including colonization and
climate change. I can also publish an updated version of my 1996 book on
mammals and take time to finish editing my two new books

2) Give talks on human rights situation here in Palestine, Israeli
apartheid, current geopolitics after the Israeli elections etc. and discuss
ideas for practical work in your communities that make a local and global
difference (thinking globally and acting locally for peace, justice, and
sustainability).

3) Give talks on environmental justice issues and progress of our Palestine
Institute for Biodiversity and Sustainability (PIBS) including the
Palestine Museum of Natural History (PMNH), the new department, the new
ethnographic/cultural exhibit (human connections to the land), and the
community and botanical gardens [ALL at Bethlehem University] and seek
donations/funding for these programs (see palestinenature.org)

A main benefit will be networking anbd giving a practical push to our
programs on the ground. We would welcome invitations and/or help from the
UK, Ireland, and other countries. You may also want to see this short video
about our activities https://youtu.be/BPhFLOsEIM0 and look at our 2018
annual report
https://www.palestinenature.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Annual-Report-2018.pdf
These amazing achievements were done with your support but we can do much
more going forward with more support/partnership.

For those of you who cannot host or invite us you can always connect us
with others who could (feel free to forward this message with the brief
introductory biography below). We also ask you to donate to help (see
https://www.palestinenature.org/donations/ ).

Brief background: Professor Mazin Qumsiyeh teaches and does research at
Bethlehem and Birzeit Universities. He previously served on the faculties
of the University of Tennessee, Duke, and Yale Universities. He and his
wife returned to Palestine in 2008 starting a number of institutions and
projects such as a clinical genetics laboratory that serves cancer and
other patients. They founded (initial personal donation of $250,000) and
run (as full time volunteers) the Palestine Institute for Biodiversity and
Sustainability (PIBS) at Bethlehem University (http://palestinenature.org).
Qumsiyeh published over 140 scientific papers on topics ranging from
cultural heritage to biodiversity to cancer. His many published books
include “Bats of Egypt”, "Mammals of the Holy Land", "Sharing the Land of
Canaan: Human rights and the Israeli/Palestinian Struggle" and "Popular
Resistance in Palestine: A History of Hope and Empowerment". He also
published hundreds of articles and letters to the editor and has an
activism book published electronically (see http://qumsiyeh.org). He gave
hundreds of talks in 45 countries around the world. He especially believes
in youth empowerment towards social and environmental causes. The programs
he & his wife created impacted thousands. He also serves on the board of a
number of Palestinian youth and service organizations. PIBS-BU has become a
“Mecca” for visitors to Palestine from around the world. Qumsiyeh was
harassed and arrested for non-violent actions but also received a number of
prestigious awards for these same actions. He and his wife and dozens of
other volunteers and staff at PIBS continue to have “Joyful participation
in the sorrows of this world” and make a real difference for sustainability
of nature and human communities.

Stay Human and come visit us in Palestine

Mazin Qumsiyeh
A bedouin in cyberspace, a villager at home
Professor, Founder, and (volunteer) Director
Palestine Museum of Natural History
Palestine Institute of Biodiversity and Sustainability
Bethlehem University
Occupied Palestine
http://qumsiyeh.org
http://palestinenature.org