ACTION: Call Governor Perry in Texas

FORSE QUESTA VOLTA POTREBBE ESSERE IMPORTANTE MANDARE DEGLI EMAIL AL
GOVERNATORE DEL TEXAS PER INDURLO A FIRMARE LA LEGGE CHE ESONERA I
RITARDATI MENTALI DALLA PENA DI MORTE. SEMBRA CHE EGLI PRIMA DI DECIDERE
VOGLIA CONTARE I MESSAGGI PRO E CONTRO!

SE SIETE D'ACCORDO, TRAMITE LA PAG. WEB INDICATA, ANDATE UN MESSAGGIO DEL
TIPO: DEAR GOVERNOR PLEASE SIGN THE HOUSE BILL HB 2236

G.

****************************

Texas:

Concerning the House Bill -- HB2236  (banning the execution of people
with mental retardation)

From Maruie Levin of the Texas Defender Service

While I have mixed feeling about the bill, I'd hate it if we lost on the
basis of a phone count.  The Governor's office is: 512-463-2000.

FAX:  512-463-1849

Citizen's Opinion Line (for Texas callers) 800-252-9600

Citizens' Opinion Line (for Austin, and out-of-state callers)
800-463-1782

Email form:

http://www.governor.state.tx.us/contact%20%20information/email/email_the_gov
ernor.htm

Dear Texas Colleagues --

I'm sure that many of you are already doing all you can do on this, but
we will suggest it just in case.  With Governor Perry under intense
pressure both for and against signing the bill to ban the execution of
the retarded, it is reported that his office is counting the phone calls
pro and con.    His office told the Dallas Morning News yesterday that
they had received 336 calls against the bill, and 222 in favor of the
bill.    It is not out of the question that this numerical victory for
the other side could be used to tilt the scales toward a veto.

The simplest thing to do is get on the phone, and ask everybody you talk
to (or email) to make a few calls themselves.  A hundred calls could be
generated very quickly -- and it could make a difference.

Many thanks.  Please let me know if you need anything from us.

Scott Wallace
Director, Defender Legal Services
National Legal Aid and Defender Association
1625 K Street, NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC  20006
202-452-0620 ext. 212