progetto "Anch'io a Bukavu" [Inglese]

Carisismi, vi allego i fila del progetto e dell'appello in inglese.

Marigrazia x la segreteria

Associazione Nazionale
BEATI I COSTRUTTORI DI PACE

Padova - Via A. da Tempo, 2
Email    : beati@libero.it
http://www.peacelink.it/users/bcp
Tel & Fax: 049 80 70 699
Per ritirare la sottoscrizione a questo gruppo, inviare un'e-mail a
-unsubscribe@egroups.com

____________________________
... I'm coming to Bukavu, too!
10 December 2000:
52nd Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Non-violent International Peace Action for Africa in Bukavu, Kivu, DR Congo

Appeal
A never-ending tragedy is unfolding in Africa. Just one figure from the
statistics: in 22 months, war in Eastern Congo has caused 1,700,000 deaths,
and the vast majority are civilians. All this is taking place amidst a
general lack of interest, as though it were not really happening.
Despite the dignity of its people, despite its huge economic potential and
great cultural heritage, today Africa is dying. The continent is crying out,
but her cries fall on deaf ears.
The governments of the most powerful countries are more concerned with
protecting their own vested interests in the extraction and trade of
precious minerals and timber than they are with the lives of millions of
desperate people. Entire populations in distress, suffering from
unmentionable violence: these men and women feel defrauded and betrayed by
us "Westerners."
This is the injustice that the prophets endeavoured to right when they
announced the Jubilee, calling for debts to be forgiven, for land and
freedom to be restored. This was the core of Jesus's message, when in
Nazareth he scandalized everyone, focussing on the poor as the  point  of
departure, the novelty and  the strength of his Jubilee.
We have been invited to Bukavu, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, by the
"Société civile", and the Catholic and Protestant churches, so that we might
bear witness to the suffering being endured by these people, but also to
their non-violent resistance to war.
We have decided to accept their invitation.
On 10 December 2000, on the 52nd anniversary of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights, we will go to Bukavu, in South Kivu in the Great Lakes Region,
one of the most conflict-ridden areas in the world. We hope that there will
be lots of us - as many as possible - accompanied by distinguished
international personalities. We'll be going to Bukavu, but that city will
symbolize the whole of Africa for us: its tragedy and its resistance; its
suffering and the strength of its non-violence; its pain, but also its
message of hope.

It will be a people-to-people meeting, echoed in Europe and in the rest of
Africa by other initiatives. Our purpose is:
- to witness from within the contradictions of armed conflict;
- to  reaffirm, with our non-violent action, the right of civil society to
play a role in peacemaking, denouncing the decisions taken by the powerful
in disregard for the destiny of common people;
- to re-establish the truth about ourselves and our Western society, an
economic model that condemns the poor of the world to become ever poorer;
- to fight against a form of globalization that is only economic, governed
by the North of the world, and to demand a new  system, the globalization of
human rights starting from the South;
- to say no to the arms trade and to a foreign debt that is strangling the poor;
- to exert pressure on our international institutions in order that they may
take decisions in full respect of the dignity and rights of individuals and
peoples, according to the tenets of international law and not merely in
favour of the vested interests of the powerful;
- to re-affirm our right to accurate and truthful information;
- to implore, in unison with these men and women who despite all their
suffering are keeping hope alive with their non-violent resistance, the gift
of reconciliation and peace.

We are fully aware of the limited scope, the difficulties and the
contradictions of this project. But for us this is an invitation we cannot
turn down. We also believe that our presence may provide support to people
who feel abandoned by the world and it may give us the strength to change
our lifestyles and revive our steps on the road to peace.

Beati i costruttori di pace
Ass. Papa Giovanni XXIII: Operazione Colomba
Chiama l'Africa
Padova, 28 July 2000

____________________________
... I'm coming to Bukavu, too!
10 December 2000:
52nd Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Non-violent International Peace Action for Africa in Bukavu, Kivu, DR Congo

There are many cooperation and aid projects for Africa, but, as
representatives of Western civil society, we are having difficulty in
committing ourselves firsthand for peace, non-violence and reconciliation.
We are constantly being called upon to meet the challenges of new
emergencies, but we never tackle the root causes. This is why we decided to
accept the invitation we received from Bukavu (see below). Ours is a limited
project and it refers merely to one specific situation, but it is our
intention to look beyond Bukavu to Africa as a whole, to recognize and
denounce our responsibilities as Europeans, as Westerners, in the injustices
perpetrated by the global economic system, in the arms trade and in the lack
of accurate information.
To all persons and organizations working for peace in the Great Lakes Region
The Congolese population has been fighting since 1990 for freedom, democracy
and dignity in our beautiful Great Lakes Region. The Société Civile has
played and continues to play an important role in this process. Yet, we are
beginning this new millennium in a climate of widespread war, insecurity and
oppression.
For this reason we are planning on and around 10 December 2000 a series of
events here in Bukavu in favour of peace and human rights that will include
inter-faith prayer meetings, conferences, cultural events of all types on
topics related to the observance of human rights.
We are inviting to these events the representatives of civil society from
Kivu, Congo, Africa, as well as persons and organizations from all over the
world who are active in this field.
We hope that you will be able to help us involve others, too. And if some
international organization, non-governmental or UN-related, active in the
field of human rights, wishes to support us, we would be very glad.
We are looking forward to your reply and sincerely hope that you will join
us in December.
(Invitation from the "Société Civile" in Bukavu sent on 20 April 2000 to
"Beati i costruttori di pace" - Blessed Are the Peacemakers).

Responding to this invitation, three representatives of Beati i costruttori
di pace and Papa Giovanni XXIII travelled to Bukavu to witness firsthand the
suffering of the population and the extraordinary non-violent resistance of
the men and women in that city, which keeps hope alive in their communities.
It is a truly unique example of peaceful struggle, being active and
creative, and it enjoys the widespread participation of the population. It
is all the more significant since it can be taken as a paradigm for the
whole of Africa, the continent that registers the highest number of internal
and international armed conflicts. Just to mention some examples of the work
of the civil society and religious associations: on 8 March, the women of
the city declared a strike - called the strike for "bread and roses" as
opposed to hunger and violence - not attending their market stalls, not
going out of the house, a woman's day without women. In August 1999, every
day at midday the whole city stopped, with people grabbing whatever they
could get their hands on to make noise, and shouting in as many languages as
they knew "we want peace". And when the violence becomes intolerable, the
whole city proclaims "la ville morte", dead city: no one goes out of the
house, no one goes to work ... and like this they express their rejection of
all forms of armed violence, whatever side it comes from. And, in the midst
of all this destruction, this civil society has organized itself to take in
the displaced persons from the countryside, where the insecurity is even
worse: they provide them with food, with solidarity, they welcome the
children into their schools. In all the meetings our little delegation had
in Bukavu, one thing was constantly stressed: the responsibility of the
West, especially of the EU and the USA, in the tragedy of Africa.
How can we shoulder this responsibility? How can we provide support for a
population that is crying out for help, but has not given up its struggle?
How can we defend the inestimable wealth that is a civil society engaged in
non-violent resistance, in a world such as ours which considers as "wealth
of the Congo" only its precious reserves of mineral ore (gold, diamonds and
coltan, a rare mineral used to make warheads)?
For this reason, we are proposing an international non-violent peace action
in December 2000