SudBish Press Statement

ANB-BIA - Av. Charles Woeste 184 - 1090 Bruxelles - Belg
TEL **.32.2/420 34 36 fax /420 05 49 E-Mail: editor at anb-bia.org
WEEKLY NEWS -SPECIAL ISSUE of: 29-08-2002     SUDAN

Here below is the latest Press Release from the Sudan Catholic Bishops' Conference about THE MACHAKOS PROTOCOL
Greetings
Paolo
------------------

Sd-e-121
Press Release
Sudan Catholic Bishops' Conference
Nairobi
26th August,2002

SPECIAL CONCERNS OF THE CATHOLIC BISHOPS OF SUDAN RELATED TO THE MACHAKOS PROTOCOL

We the Catholic Bishops of the Sudan meeting in Nairobi for our Annual Plenary, 19th - 31 August 2002, congratulate the Government of Sudan (GOS) and the Sudan Peoples Liberation Movement/Army (SPLM/A) for their goodwill to continue with the Peace talks which are currently going on in Machakos. Mindful of our responsibilities as religious leaders, we welcome the Machakos Protocol as a framework to guide the parties in conflict to negotiate an end to the war.

We extend our thanks to H. E. President Daniel Arap Moi, General Lazarus Sumbeiywo of the IGAD Secretariat, the representatives of the United States of America, Great Britain, Norway and Italy for the role they are playing to the negotiation. The seriousness witnessed in the negotiation gives hope for a just and peaceful future.

Further, we affirm the statement on the Machakos Protocol issued by the Sudanese Church Leaders on 2nd August, 2002 in Entebbe, Uganda (See Annex I). However, in addition to this statement we would like to highlight some points in the Protocol, which we feel deserve your special attention and consideration.

RELIGIOUS FREEDOM:

a)      Religious Rights Based on Human Dignity

In the Protocol's section on State and Religion we welcome particularly section 6.5 that deals with the rights of religious belief and practice. "The parties agree to respect the following rights; to worship or assemble in connection with a religion or belief and to establish and maintain places for these purposes…."

We are concerned that these rights be clearly acknowledged as based on the human dignity possessed by every human person, and not merely based on constitutional law. In this context we would like to refer you to the insights and Experiences of Catholic Bishops from all over the world who met in the Vatican Council in 1965. "The Council further declares that the right to religious freedom is based on the very dignity of the human person as known through the revealed word of God and by reason itself" (See Annex II).

b)      Problems posed to the Minorities:

We are also especially concerned about the role of Sharia in relation to the conditions of Christians living in areas under the Sharia with a Muslim majority. In this connection religious freedom must be respected for all citizens. We also share the insights of the Bishops in the same document on Religious Liberty; "If because of the circumstances of a particular people special recognition is given to one religious community in the constitutional organization of a State, the right of all citizens and religious communities to religious freedom must be recognized and respected as well" (See Annex III). This means that Sharia Law is not to be imposed on non-Muslims in the north.

OTHER IMPORTANT CONCERNS:

a) Clarity on the notion of Unity.

In a number of places in the Protocol, the notion of Unity should be spelt out in clearer terms to avoid ambiguity and different interpretations. We suggest that basing a future constitution and legislation on the dignity of the human person as shown in the document on a religious liberty already mentioned is a suitable means of promoting the well being of all Sudanese. Making Sharia as source of law and legislation jeopardizes the unity of the country.

b) Agreement must be implemented:

Of particular concern are the steps to be taken to ensure that what is agreed upon will be properly monitored and carried out. We bring this forward in the context of the many former agreements that have been set aside, abrogated or broken. This history of past agreements has made our people hesitant to embrace whole-heartedly the framework of the Machakos Protocol.

c) Free and open discussions for all citizens:

An immediate concern is the need for the Government of Sudan and the SPLM/A to ensure free, responsible and open discussion by all the Sudanese people regarding the Protocol, its related developments and its implementation for peace.

CONCLUSION:

We again commend you to continue in this difficult task to bring the reality of a just peace to our country so that the process does not again betray the Sudanese people. We assure you of our continued prayerful support.

Wishing you God's blessings,

+ Paolino Lukudu Loro,
Archbishop of Juba,
President - Sudan Catholic Bishops' Conference.

Annex I - A Statement of the Sudanese Church Leaders (dated 2nd August, 2002)
On the Machakos Protocol of 20th July 2002.

Annex II
"The Vatican Council declares that the human person has a right to religious freedom. Freedom of this kind means that all men should be immune from coercion on the part of individuals, social groups and every human power so that, within due limits, no person is forced to act against his convictions in religious matt4ers, in private or in public, alone or in association with others, The Council further declares that the right to religious freedom is based on the very dignity of the human person as known through the revealed word of God and by reason itself. This right of the human person to religious freedom must be given such recognition in the constitutional order of society as will make it a civil right." (Decree on Religious Liberty, Vatican Council II, 1965, Section 2).

Annex III:
"The protection and promotion of the inviolable rights of man is an essential duty of every civil authority. The civil authority therefore must undertake to safeguard the religious freedom of all the citizens in an effective manner by just legislation and other appropriate means… "If because of the circumstances of a particular people special recognition is given to one religious community in the constitutional organization of a State, the right of all citizens and religious communities to religious freedom must be recognized and respected as well" "Finally, the civil authority must see to it that the equality of the citizens before the law, which is itself an element of the common good of society, is never violated either openly or covertly for religious reasons and that there is no discrimination among citizens." (Decree on Religious Liberty, Vatican Council II, 1965, Section 6).

Le materiel contenu dans ce document ne reflet pas forcement les points de vue de l'expediteur. Celui-ci n'accepte aucune responsabilite' sur la precision des sources originales. - The material contained in this document may not be taken always to reflect the views of the sender. He accepts no responsibility as to the accuracy of the original sources. Veuillez nous excuser si vous avez deja recu ces textes - We apologise for any cross-posting
Un homme meurt chaque fois que l'un d'entre nous se tait devant la tyrannie (Wole Soyinka, Prix Nobel litterature)
                         --------
Everytime somebody keep silent when faced with tyranny, someone else dies (Wole Syinka, Nobel Prize for Literature)
* Greeting from:
ANB-BIA   - Av. Ch.Woeste 184 - 1090 Bruxelles - Belgique
Tel (32.2)420.34.36-Fax 420.05.49 - e-mail: <editor at anb-bia.org>
WWW:  http://www.anb-bia.org