[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 01 Oct 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Occupied New Orleans and Homegrown Resistance
Mike Whitney
The appearance of fully-armed mercenaries on the streets of New Orleans
tells us that the city is currently under occupation. Whenever foreign
troops are deployed within an urban area it can only mean one thing; the
loss of sovereignty. It's no different here. Blackwater mercenaries are
part of a privately owned army that has seized control of the streets from
their rightful owners, the people of New Orleans (...) The shifting
political realities in New! Orleans are bound to create a growing sense of
unease and horror among the public. In Iraq, Afghanistan and Haiti, that
disquiet has evolved into indigenous resistance movements. We expect the
same will take place in New Orleans. The deployment of troops is a
deliberate provocation and a direct threat to the fundamental principles of
a free society. It cannot stand. Democracy is incompatible with occupation;
whether it's in Iraq or New Orleans. Any talk about freedom in America is
pointless until every soldier and mercenary is removed from the streets of
our cities...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16346&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16346

Syria, al-Qaeda in Iraq, and Big Lies in Bushzarro World
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
As Hitler knew, “in the big lie there is always a certain force of
credibility,” and as the inventors of the Big Lie, the British Office of
Strategic Services, realized, “if you repeat it frequently enough people
will sooner or later believe it.” Both of these propagandistic techniques
are currently at work in Iraq. For instance, consider the following,
reported by the Associated Press: a U.S. military offense in wester! n
Iraq, called Operation Iron Fist, is “aimed to root out al-Qaida militants
who have taken hold of the village [Sadah, characterized as a “known
terrorist sanctuary” by ABC News] and use it as a base for attacks on Iraqi
civilians and security forces.” Operation Iron Fist is “also aimed to stop
foreign fighters from entering the country from Syria and improving
security in the region before Iraq’s Oct. 15 referendum on a new
constitution, the military said. Sunni insurgents have vowed to derail the
referendum and have launched a surge of violence that has killed at least
200 people—including 13 U.S. service members—in the past six days.”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16322&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16322

Why not Torture Judith Miller?
Mike Whitney
Let's see if I got this right? The New York Times star investigative
reporter, Judith Miller, spent 12 weeks in the hoosegow only to discover
that she actually had permission to testify before the Federal grand jury
the whole time? Is this what the Times means when they say that she had to
confirm that she "finally received a direct and uncoerced waiver" from her
source. (Ass. Chief of staff, "Scooter" Libby) Oh, so it was all just a big
mistake? The facts, however, ind! icate that there may have been other
factors that led to Miller changing her mind, including the prospect of
spending another 60 days in the slammer.
Apparently, her role of "martyr for the First amendment" has a shelf-life
of about 12 weeks after which she returns to her day-job of dissembling
pawn for the ruling party...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16326&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16326

Rape and Resistance, a conversation.
Khalid Jarrar,
... The occupation is killing more Iraqis everyday, the occupations is the
reason of ALL the killing in the field, there are 60-70 operations against
the occupation everyday and a minority of them hurt civilians by mistake
and those ones the only attacks you ever hear about in your media, those
who target innocent civilians in purpose are not from the resistance...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16329&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16329

A Government of War Criminals
A Press of Agents Provocateurs
A Bureaucracy of Foreign Spies
Juan Cole, Informed Comment
Just reading ordinary press reports on the state of government and the
press in Washington is like stepping into Orwell's 1984. The Attorney
General authorizes torture, the president orders it with weasel words, and
the press acquiesces, mostly not even bothering with even a feeble protest.
Colin Powell's objections to tossing the Geneva Conventions in the waste
basket (because he knew t! hat doing so opened US soldiers to being
tortured with impunity by our foes) were brushed aside by comfortable
liars-- I mean lawyers-- in cushy Washington offices. When the practice of
torture becomes incontrovertibly public via pictures from Abu Ghraib, they
punish a few privates and corporals. I guess the order by a federal judge
that more Abu Ghraib photos and videos be released is bad news for . . .
privates and corporals. The worst thing is that the American public knew
all this, and they reelected the team responsible, which makes us all
complicit in torture; it is national policy approved in a national
referendum...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16342&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16342

Bali Bombed Again, Intel Op Jemaah Islamiah Suspected
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
...It is too early to speculate on the motivations of the latest Bali
bombing. But we can rest assured it will be the same story—crazed Muslims
declaring war on infidels wherever they find them and for the usual
murderous religious reasons—and al-Qaeda will once again post a video or
audio message on the internet. No doubt this claim for responsibility will
come over the next few days and the latest outrage and carnage wil! l be
laid at the feet of “al-Qaeda,” the database of Mujahedeen organized by the
CIA and used in Afghanistan, the Balkans, Chechnya, and elsewhere. For the
neocons, “al-Qaeda” is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16337&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16337

A Broken Covenant
The War in Iraq
DAVID KRIEGER, CounterPunch
This summer I had the honor to serve on the Jury of Conscience for the
World Tribunal on Iraq. I was one of 14 jurors from ten countries. The
spokesperson for the jury was Arundhati Roy. We listened to three days of
intensive testimony by witnesses to the brutality and by experts. Among the
witnesses were Iraqis who had experienced first-hand the bombings and the
ill-treatment and torture of Iraqis in detention. There was also testimony
by A! merican soldiers. One such soldier was a young man named Camilo
Mejia, who testified by videotape. After serving time in Iraq, he concluded
that the war was immoral and refused to return to participate in it. For
this, he was imprisoned...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16334&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16334

Spoilt Kurdish relish ...
Imad Khadduri , Free Iraq
This is the exact letter (in Arabic) sent today from 'president' Talabani
and Barazani (Kurdish combination) to 'prime minister' Ja'afari (Shia'a
combination) bitterly complaining, in 16 points, about their estrangement
and disassociation from the political process in Iraq over the past five
months, with only three more months to go before a supposedly 'new
government' takes over in Iraq. When this particular 'coalition' does
split, may the occupiers savour the ! relish...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16344&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16344

Talabani: Al-Jaafari violating accord
Aljazeera.net
Iraqi President Jalal Talabani has accused Prime Minister Ibrahim
al-Jaafari of violating laws and not implementing articles of a joint
charter signed between the Kurdistan alliance and the Iraqi coalition.
Talabani, a Kurd, on Friday accused al-Jaafari, a Shia, of unilaterally
taking decisions in violation of accords signed by the two blocs before the
setting up of the government...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16343&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16343

Detainees Choose Death Over Barbarism
Hunger Strike at Gitmo
NICOLE COLSON
Detainees at the U.S. gulag in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, have become so
desperate that many are choosing to face death. Since August 8, as many as
210 of the more then 500 detainees at Guantánamo Bay have gone on hunger
strike to protest their indefinite detention, lack of legal rights and the
brutal conditions under which they are held. The Pentagon, trying to
downplay the seriousness of the situation, has said that the number part!
icipating in the strike is 105. But military officials acknowledge that at
least 20 detainees, whose health has been seriously compromised, are being
kept at the camp's hospital, handcuffed, with their legs restrained, while
they are force-fed through nasal tubes...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16335&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16335

New York Times’ Friedman proposes “endgame” bloodbath in Iraq
Bill Van Auken, WSWS
Since well before the US invaded Iraq, Thomas Friedman, the New York Times’
chief foreign affairs commentator, has been the most enthusiastic proponent
of US imperialism’s neo-colonial conquest of the country. Early on he
served as a conduit for the right-wing ideologues in the civilian
leadership of the Pentagon—putting their phony pretexts for war into print,
while embellishing them with noble aims of bringing “democracy” and “li!
beration” to the Iraqi people...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16333&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16333

Colonials and Indians
RevolutionaryFlowerpotSociety
The era of wars without frontiers seems to be getting even more bizarre.
The fact that the successive administrations of George W. Bush have stirred
back to dominance recessive colonialist genes is a given. But, stranger
mutations are taking place, too. It must be all the uranium dust that is
flying around the globe; thanks to all the hundreds upon hundreds of
tonnage of uranium-enriched munitions piercing Iraqi and Afghan life so
perniciously that manufacturers! are busting inventories and the U.S. is in
need of importing munitions from Israel. We are referring to the decision
made by the Indian government, led by Prime Minister Singh of the Congress
Party, to vote for the US-backed European-written edict to ‘refer’ the
Iranian regime to the Security Council for not complying fully enough with
the extortionist policies of the Western imperialists...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16331&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16331

Iraq Kurds set for new constitution oil deal role
Maryelle Demongeot, Reuters
Oil exploration deals in northern Iraq will be negotiated with both the
central Iraqi and the regional Kurdistan governments, if Iraq's interim
constitution is agreed through referendum next month, a senior Kurdish
official said on Friday. But the regional government will have control on
production in the region and on exports abroad, Omer Fatah, prime minister
of the regional Kurdish government, said at a news briefing after an
Iraq-Si! ngapore business forum...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16330&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16330

CNBC’s Ron Insana Propaganda Exposed on Live Radio
Jesse, Editor , TVNewsLIES.org
Anyone listening to Ron Insana’s radio program today heard Ron, with his 2
guests, US Generals Francona and Downing, field callers questions about the
situation in Iraq. I called in and asked 3 quick questions. To paraphrase
the questions: 1. On Supporting the Troops: I noted that the Generals
expressed the need for more money to be allocated by Congress to the
occupation, and I asked how can we give them more money when much of it !
goes missing. I asked about Halliburton and the missing billions that play
no part in their receiving more no-bid contracts. 2. I asked why, when the
military has misrepresented the truth about news like the staged toppling
of Saddam’s statue and the Tillman death, should we trust these people (the
Generals)? I asked why independent journalists who are in Iraq are not the
people we are asking these questions...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16328&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16328

Bushco Gets Away With Another Crime
Jesse, Editor , TVNewsLIES.org
The Government Accountability Office said the administration had
disseminated “covert propaganda” in the United States, in violation of a
statutory ban. This is something TvNewsLIES and our readers knew without
needing to hear it from the GAO. Think about this for a minute; the Bush
administration, with the full unquestioning cooperation of the US corporate
broadcast news industry, created fake news reports and aired them on news
programs as if th! ey were real news. Not a single “journalist” spoke out
about this (at least none that we know of). The GAO concluded that the
American government did something that was ILLEGAL! They added that there
was NO PENALTY TO THIS CRIME!...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16327&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16327

US prepares to Launch War on Iran
In Solidarity with the People of Iran and Iraq
Prof. Niloufer Bhagwat, GlobalResearch.ca
The recent Resolution of the IAEA is preparation for War. The voting
pattern on the Resolution against Iran is significant. But what is even
more significant - that people all over the world including in the anti-war
movement in the United States are against the sanctions and war against
Iran, as it is no longer possible to camouflage the real reasons for the
war against countries w! hich possess significant oil and gas reserves...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16332&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16332

GI Special 3C69: The Dismal Recruiting Year - October 1, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
The Army is closing the books on one of the leanest recruiting years since
it became an all-volunteer service three decades ago, missing its
enlistment target by the largest margin since 1979 and raising questions
about its plans for growth. The Army has not published official figures
yet, but it apparently finished the 12-month counting period that ends
Friday with about 73,000 recruits. Its goal was 80,000. A gap of 7,000
enli! stees would be the largest - in absolute number as well as in
percentage terms - since 1979, according to Army records...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16339&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16339

Organized crime in Washington
Xymphora
It appears to have been a rough week for the Republican Party, with DeLay's
indictment, Miller talking, Larry Franklin's plea bargain, the forcing of
the release of the worst of the Abu Ghraib photos, more revelations on the
Abramoff and Safavian scandals, continued fallout from the debacle of the
non-response to Katrina, more problems in Iraq, and on and on. People are
starting to notice a pattern...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16321&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16321

Fayyad in Baghdad: It is no Longer Baghdad
Juan Cole, Informed Comment
Al-Sharq al-Awsat carries a long, anguished and meditative piece by Maad
Fayyad, an Arab journalist normally based in London, on the occasion of his
return to Baghdad for the third time since the US invasion (...) He says
from Baghdad, "Here is Baghdad . . . But which Baghdad is here? The Baghdad
that we do not know and which we do not want to be like this. I wonder--
did the Mongols descend on it only yesterday, led by the captain of c!
atastrophe and devotee of death, Hulagu Khan, such that it was transformed
into debris?"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16318&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16318

Media picks up War Porn story
Truth About Iraqis
This is a quick post to show you that sometimes bloggers can make a
difference. I first read the War Porn story concerning Chris Wilson's
nowthatsfuckedup website on Whatreallyhappened.com. They linked to a story
on the East Bay Express. This then led me to Just World News, a blog run by
a war journalist and analyst, which had extensive material on the
pornographic website. Eventually CNN did a piece. The BBC did a piece,
which was short on content...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16317&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16317

Abu Ghraib: Command Responsibility
Ray McGovern
The news that yet another Army private, Lynndie England, 22, of Fort Ashby,
W. Va., has been convicted and sentenced for posing for the infamous photos
of torture at Abu Ghraib, while her superiors duck responsibility, is a sad
commentary on the degenerating ethos of the U.S. Army. The reminder of the
photos of those inexcusable activities was sickening enough and England
deserves to be punished. But I am of the old-Army school where officers
took responsibility for! the actions of those under their command. It is no
less than scandalous how the Army brass and its civilian leadership, who
are demonstrably responsible for the torture, continue to dance away from
taking responsibility...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16310&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16310

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.