[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 02 Oct 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

International Human Rights Lawyer Points Out Absurdities in Hussein's Legal
Defense
Greg Szymanski
... “The court set up in Baghdad is not only biased, but it is incompetent
and totally lacking any type of legal credibility normally associated with
international cases,” said Dr. Doebbler. “As lawyers we hope the rule of
law will be respected and thus far this is not the case. It is my belief
that the tribunal is illegal in the first place. There is an overwhelming
number of jurists and statesmen around the world,! bound by international
law, who openly recognize the invasion of Iraq as a preemptive strike and
in violation of all sound principles of international law. And, it’s
important to note, that one cannot create legal rights out of an illegal
act, meaning what’s going in the Hussein trial has no legal merit to being
with”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16352&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16352

The End
Tom Mysiewicz, MMN
What has been the end of the Neocon's Iraq strategy from the start? It's
fairly obvious now that it wasn't WMDs or even oil. It's clear to me that
it was done for the benefit of Israel. But now that the Palestinians have
been boxed in and any conceivable Israeli security objectives have been
met, it's obvious that Iraq is part of a more sinister endgame. For some
two years prior to the Iraq war, in Council of Foreign Relations and other
elite circles, stories were circulated about the b! enefits of partitioning
Iraq into Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish regions for the benefit of the "Greater
Mid East" (read instead: "Eretz Israel")...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16363&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16363

Oh Baghdad, my sweet …
Faiza Jarrar
...I have a great hope that the occupation will be defeated….And all who
collaborated with him shall fall… History shall write again…that Baghdad
fell, and rose again…as she has fallen before by the hands of the Moguls,
then the Ottomans, then the British….then rose, and we saw her beautiful,
golden days, before sinful fingers tampered with her again, from inside the
country, and outside…They say that when the Khalif Abu Ja'afer Al-Mansoor
intended to build Baghdad, and to make! her the capital of the Abbasid
state, he called upon scientists and astrologists, and asked them to look
upon the fate of this city for him… They told him she will witness some
grave days, and some beautiful, glorious days, and every time she might
fall and crash, she will rise up all over again….. Oh Baghdad, my sweet ….
You shall rise again…and brush off the dust of the occupiers, the invaders,
and their monkeys some day….

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16368&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16368

Thousands of civilians flee military offensive near Syrian border
IRIN
Thousands of civilians have fled the Iraqi town of al-Qaim near the Syrian
border following the start of a fresh US military offensive against
insurgents in nearby villages, local government officials said on Sunday.
They told IRIN that about 600 families had abandoned al-Qaim, a small town
in the Euphrates river valley, since the offensive began on Saturday. The
number of people displaced by the fighting was expected to increase
rapidly, they! added. Many of those fleeing by car and on foot from
al-Qaim, 12 km from the Syrian border, said they were taken by surprise by
the latest US-led offensive...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16365&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16365

How Big is the Insurgency in Iraq?
John Robb
Can the US win in Iraq? One of the most important factors is the size of
the Iraqi insurgency. However, the numbers presented by the US military on
its size are less than compelling. They have ranged from 12,000 to 20,000.
These numbers do not mesh with the reality of the situation:
• The frequency, dispersion, and depth of attacks indicates a large force.
• The resiliency of the insurgency despite substantial casualties and
arrests (estimated at 1-2,000 a month) suggests a larger force.
• The number of men who have become effectively “stateless” and “jobless”
is very large...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16362&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16362

GI Special 3C70: "Significant Risks And Little Return" - September 2, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
"I think the most frustrating thing is there's no sense of accomplishment,"
Williams said. "You're biding your time and waiting. But then you lose your
friends, and it's not even for their own country's freedom." "We've been
here almost seven months and we don't control" the cities, said Gunnery
Sgt. Ralph Perrine, an operations chief in the battalion from Brunswick,
Ohio. "It's no secret." "Their intelligence is be! tter than ours," Owens
said. "I had concerns that the operation was hastily planned and executed,
with significant risks and little return," Toland said....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16361&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16361

Torture of Iraqis was for ‘stress relief’, say US soldiers
Neil Mackay, Sunday Herald
FOR the first time, American soldiers who personally tortured Iraqi
prisoners have come forward to give testimony to human rights organisations
about crimes they comm itted. Three soldiers – a captain and two sergeants
– from the 82nd Airborne Division stationed at Forward Operating Base (FOB)
Mercury near Fallujah in Iraq have told Human Rights Watch how prisoners
were tortured both as a form of stress relief and as a way of br! eaking
them for interrogation sessions...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16366&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16366

Iraqi Government Totters
US Goes it alone Against Mighty Sadah
British Leave Basra Base
Juan Cole, Informed Comment
...Let me now risk some more flack and say that given that it is two weeks
before the referendum and no ordinary Iraqis have seen the text of the new
constitution, and given that the Sunni Arabs reject it to a person even
just from the little they know of it, this constitution is another sick
joke played by the Bush administration, which keeps forcing Iraq to jump
through hoops made in Washi! ngton as "milestones" and "tipping points" to
which the Republican Party can point as progress. Not to mention that the
draft we have all seen of the constitution is riddled with fatal
contradictions that will tie up the energies of parliament and the courts
for decades trying to resolve them...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16367&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16367

Is Time Running Out For Iran?
Abid Mustafa
On September 24 2005, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) passed
a resolution to refer Iran to the UN Security Council over its nuclear
programme. The 35-nation board of the IAEA in Vienna said that Iran has a
``long history of concealment and deception''. The Bush administration
immediately seized on IAEA's decision and forecasted that it would
eventually lead to Iran's isolation. Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns
said," We have a patient long-term strate! gy. It's to isolate Iran on this
question; it's to ratchet up the international pressure on Iran,' and
assemble the kind of global coalition against Iran...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16358&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16358

Another advantage of September 11
Xymphora
Former Shabak head Avi Dichter, a rising political star for the loonier
side of Israeli politics, has revealed in a speech given at the Saban
Center for Middle East Policy at the Brookings Institution that the United
States placed an embargo on selling helicopter parts to Israel from the
start of the Second Intifada until the 9/11 attacks, based on the fact that
the American-supplied helicopters were being used for targeted
assassinations...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16357&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16357

Securitizing the Global Norm of Identity: Biometric Technologies in
Domestic and Foreign Policy
Dahr Jamail's Iraq Dispatches
In November 2004 the world watched - periodically, depending on the focus
of the media gaze - as the US Marine Corps engaged so-called 'insurgents'
in a brutal battle in Fallujah, Iraq. For all their high-tech weaponry,
precision munitions, and exceptional training, in their search-and-destroy
mission occupation forces all but obliterated Fallujah. During the
month-long siege of Fallujah b! y American forces more than 200,000
residents fled the city. Out of these ruins, occupation forces argued they
were erecting a 'model city', replete with a high-tech security
infrastructure centered on biometric identification strategies to manage
returning citizens. Returnees are fingerprinted, retina scanned, and issued
a mandatory identity badge displaying the individual's home address and
collected biometric data...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16355&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16355

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 1 October 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
In a dispatch posted at 11:50am Mecca time Saturday morning, the
correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in al-Qa’im near the Syrian border,
reported that a short while before, US fighter bombers had attacked the
nearby village of Sa‘dah. The correspondent reported that the US F-16
aircraft bombed or rocketed several homes in t! he village, killing 20
local residents, among them women and children. Four other civilians were
wounded in the air raid...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16356&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16356

Eleven killed in Iraq attacks including imam, two US troops
AFP
Eleven people, including a Sunni imam and two US soldiers, were killed in
attacks in the capital and northern Iraq on Saturday, security sources and
the US military said. The soldiers were killed in separate bomb attacks,
one in central Baghdad and the other near Baiji, some 200 kilometres (120
miles) north of the capital, the US military said, without providing
further details...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16353&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16353

Mantra politics
William Bowles, I'n'I
It is well worth asking the following question: Why, specifically, was the
phrase ‘war on terror’ adopted as a slogan by the US/UK authorities? This
may seem a somewhat redundant question, after all, it describes in theory a
response to the actions of ‘terrorists’, who are, we are told over and over
again, bent on firstly, destroying Western ‘civilisation’ and then
replacing it with a fundamentalist version of Islam. That such an idea is
ludicrous, let alone unattainable even! if every Islamic state on the
planet united their forces and attacked the West, doesn’t of course, figure
in the propaganda campaign of the West...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16351&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16351

Red Ink for Sulzberger and Judith Miller
Ahmed Amr: Editor NileMedia.com
...Far from being a reporter, Miller is a power player. She didn’t get
together with Libby to ask a few innocent questions about Ambassador Joseph
Wilson or Valerie Plame. Rather, she was plotting with Libby to contain the
damage from Wilson’s accusations. Keep in mind that Wilson didn’t just
throw water on the bogus ‘yellow uranium’ scam; he also questioned whether
intelligence was being deliberately corrupted. He let it be known that
there! was no ‘intelligence failure’. Rather, there was an elaborate
conspiracy to manufacture WMD fiction to justify a war against Iraq. Wilson
can be credited with blowing the whistle long before the Downing Street
memos...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16350&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16350

Time for Anti-War Movement to Escalate Efforts—Build on Success
Make 2006 the Year of Anti-War Candidates
Kevin Zeese
Recent weeks have been mostly good news for the anti-war movement and
mostly bad news for the 'stay the course' occupiers. The recent successes
of the anti-war movement provide a foundation on which to build, too
escalate efforts and let politicians who support the war know that their
political careers are jeopardized by the failed Iraq policy. President Bush
is predicting more violence in Ir! aq - he called an escalation likely but
not to worry according to the 'bring them on' president: "Our troops are
ready for it." And Army Gen. George Casey, Jr. who had suggested this
summer that the U.S. could begin a "fairly substantial" withdrawal of
troops early next year took back that promise this week saying "we're in a
period of a little greater uncertainty"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16349&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16349

Bolivar attends the Anti-war Protest in Washington (English and Spanish)
Les Blough, Editor, Axis of Logic
...The people in the United States are angry. They are angry with their
government for killing over 100,000 Iraqi people in their name. They are
angry with a government who has sent at least 1900 U.S. soldiers to early
graves and 15,000 to hospitals in a war made for corporate profit. They are
angry with their politicians who have attacked people in other countries
without mercy and failed to protect their o! wn people from poverty,
disease and national disasters like Hurricane Katrina. On September 24,
2005, the people rose up with a show of force - 300,000 strong – without
equal since the U.S. war on the people of Vietnam (...) As the protestors
filed past the front doorstep of the White House they observed a father and
daughter holding up a placard with a large photograph of President Hugo
Chavez Frias...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16348&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16348

The CIA Leak Case: The Bush spinmeisters' Kabuki dance with Patrick Fitzgerald
Wayne Madsen, Globalresearch
There is an interesting stylized dance taking place between the White House
and Patrick Fitzgerald, the Special Prosecutor in the CIA leak case. For
weeks, there have been rumors inside the Beltway that something big would
be announced about the case during the last weeks of September. The silence
and lack of substantial leaks were indications that a major turn of events
would soon occur. Yesterday afternoo! n, the White House quickly swore in
John G. Roberts as Chief Justice, just hours after his Senate confirmation.
Rather than wait for the next morning and thus get two days of puff ball
coverage by the media, the White House wanted to clear the calendar on
Friday for a possible announcement by Fitzgerald. The White House, unsure
of what might be coming from the prosecutor, floated the story that Bush
would "definitely" name a replacement for Sandra Day O'Connor on Friday...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16347&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16347

Opening Up Jewish Eyes
Judy Andreas
...And so, I sit in a most unenviable position. I want to open the eyes of
my brothers and sisters. I want to help my children learn of the sins of
Israel and the important role it plays in the axis of evil....along with
the U.S. and Great Britain. I want to alert my loved ones to the dangers of
the Zionist behavior and how it is affecting our world. I want to wake up
the ordinary Jewish person to the crimes that their leaders have
perpetrated and continue to perpetra! te...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16354&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16354

In Support of Weakness on National Security
David Swanson, AfterDowningStreet.org
A senior staff person for one of the most progressive and courageous
members of Congress recently advised a room full of peace activists that
they won't be able to persuade Democrats to oppose the war simply by
showing them polls finding that a majority of Americans oppose the war.
Rather they must assuage the Democrats' fears of being called "weak on
national security"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16364&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16364

Colonel blames Blair over Iraq 'catastrophe'
Andy McSmith, The Independent
Lack of political leadership from Tony Blair is putting British troops at
risk in Iraq, according to a former commander of the British invasion
force. Britain could lose the war against Iraqi insurgents and risks being
driven into neighbouring Iran. Colonel Tim Collins - famed for the speech
he delivered to his men in the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment
hours before they went into action in March 2003 - described the situation
in! Iraq now as "a right rollicking cock-up"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16369&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16369

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.