Fw: The Anti War Movement: Our Election is on Oct. 17 in Washington, DC

----- Original Message ----- From: "AntiWar 4 the Million Worker March" <antiwar4themillionworkermarch at action-mail.org>

For the Anti-War Movement: The Elections are Really on October 17 in Washington, DC

If You Want to Vote to "Bring the Troops Home Now!"
You Have to Get on the Bus to the Million Worker March!

Dear Sisters and Brothers in the Antiwar and Peace movement:

We know that many of us can't wait to vote for "Anybody
but Bush". However, if there was ever a time when knowing
that marching is often far more important than voting, and
"movement" is more important than "establishment", now is
such a time. The 2004 presidential election campaign has
made our journey to the capital far more urgent and
essential than if our march were scheduled for the day
after the Nov. 2 elections.

One of the reasons why the march was scheduled before the
elections is because presidential campaigns, regardless of
one's own views of the major party candidates, almost
always usurp, co-opt, derail and neutralize the grassroots
movement. March leaders decided to use the slogan "Working
people speaking for themselves" for the Million Worker
March to make it clear that we refuse to be voiceless
appendages to a media-driven and money-driven election
campaign.

The November election campaign has not been a genuine
referendum on the critical question of pulling U.S. troops
out of Iraq now. President Bush is being criticized for
lying and pulling the country into this war. But both of
the major party candidates have made in clear that they
are committed to "staying" and "winning" in Iraq. It was
decided early on to make the demand to "Bring the troops
home now!" central to the message. With that understanding
in mind, the anti-war movement was invited to become a
full partner in this march.

The fact that the anti-war movement responded so
positively is one of the things that have given this march
almost limitless potential and power. Because of this, the
march has become a popular referendum on bringing the
troops home. It's the movement's opportunity to "speak for
itself." With almost 1,100 U.S soldiers and tens of
thousands of Iraqi's dead--and nothing but more war and
death in sight--WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO BE SILENT & IMMOBILE
OUT OF DEFERENCE TO THE ELECTIONS.

The Million Worker March is a grassroots anti-war "vote"
against the war, the occupation, the troops coming home
and on whether our money should be spend on killing in the
Middle East, are jobs healthcare, housing and education.
The buses are filling, unions are organizing and we know
that you are working hard for this important event.

We can confidently say to you that on Oct. 17 at the
Lincoln memorial in D.C., together we are going to produce
a powerful, massive, and we believe unprecedented alliance
between the workers' movement and the movement against the
war. Let's keep the hard work up over the coming week
(most people don't decide to go until a few days before)
to realize the full potential. Tell everyone that the real
vote is in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 17, and that in order
to cast their ballot they have "to get on the bus".

We'll see you in Washington,

Antiwar 4 The Million Worker March Organizers

Momentum is building for the Million Worker March---new organizing centers are springing up all over the country (see http://antiwar4themillionworkermarch.org/organizingcenters.htm) and new endorsers are being added to the list daily (http://antiwar4themillionworkermarch.org/endorsers.htm).

It is more important than ever that we turn out by the
thousands to say, "Jobs, Healthcare, and a Living Wage,
Not War!" on October 17.  We need your help in this last
week to make this happen.