Re: [noocse-bo] Susan George (Attac) a favore dei bombardamenti sull'Afghanistan. la smentita

ho già visto circolare questa notizia, ma mi risulta che susan george
l'abbia smentita.

Von: "Matthias Reichl" < mareichl@ping.at >
Betreff: [StopWTORound] Dirty tricks to discredit ATTAC
Datum: Freitag, 01. Februar 2002

PLEASE FORWARD

Our opponents must be getting scared.  They are now putting out blatant
lies to try to discredit ATTAC, one of the main organisations in the
anti-globalisation movement.  Let's make sure this despicable behaviour
backfires on them.  Please do all you can to let everyone, especially
those working in the media, know the depths to which the supporters of
globalisation will stoop.

Chris Keene

The reports with have been circulating about Susan George's alleged
  approval of the American bombings of Afghanistan are a slanderous
  fabrication.  The article below tells the full story.

  Please forward this message to any mailing lists on which this slander has
  circulated.

  Translated from:
http://www.lemonde.fr/imprimer_article_ref/0,9187,3224--259739,00.html

  'The vice-president of ATTAC at the centre of a controversy about the
  American intervention in Afghanistan'
  Le Monde

  Did Susan George, vice-president of ATTAC, state in December that she
  approved of the American bombings in Afghanistan, and that she had been
  wrong to condemn them, thanking in passing George W. Bush for his actions?
  For the past two days, this issue has been spreading like a trail of
  gunpowder, on Internet mailing lists where debates traditionally occur
  among activists in the anti-globalisation movement.

  The founding members of ATTAC, members of trade unions and associations,
  called for an explanation.  And ATTAC's offices, which, Tuesday afternoon,
  had planned to be busy with the meeting at the Zenith [in Paris] and with
  the final preparations for Porto Alegre, had to put the issue on their
  agenda.

  CATEGORICAL DENIAL

  It all started with an item published in the latest issue of the weekly
  magazine _Courrier International_, which quoted excerpts from an article
  in the Swedish daily newspaper _Svenska Dagbladet_.  According to this
  article, Susan George said, during the programme 'Echot' on the national
  radio channel P1: 'I was wrong to criticise the bombing of Afghanistan
  (...)  It was worth doing it to get rid of the Taliban.  I want to thank
  George Bush.  He showed that it was possible to get to the terrorists and
  their supplies.'

  Many copies of this excerpt were circulated, provoking a flood of
  indignant emails, from across Europe, denouncing 'ATTAC's opportunism'.
  Interviewed by _Le Monde_, Tuesday afternoon, Ms George flatly denied
  having made the statements reported by the Swedish newspaper.  'I will
  never do another interview in Sweden; since Göteborg, the atmosphere there
  is such that people are systematically trying to tarnish our reputation.
  This is a malevolent act,' she said.  'Even though I believe that it's a
  good thing for the world to be rid of the Taliban, I never approved of the
  bombing campaign, which has had about as many civilian victims as the the
  attacks on the World Trade Center.  Neither, obviously, did I thank George
  Bush.  I simply said, ironically, that one could thank the president of
  the United States for showing that, when there is a political will, it is
  possible to crack down on tax havens,' the vice-president of ATTAC stated.
  Referring to an interview that appeared at about the same time, on 19
  December 2001, in _Le Nouvel Observateur_, she added: 'My position on the