5 Years After 9/11 -- When Will the Killing End?

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 |
If you are having trouble viewing this message, please
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=4&url=http://unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3375>click
here.

Please forward widely!

Dear friends,

Today, on the fifth anniversary of 9/11, we find ourselves grieving not
just the horrible events of that day, but the whole string of horrible
events that have occurred since. Instead of taking action to make our
country and the world safer, the Bush Administration used the deadly
attacks as a pretext for an unending "war on terror" that is only
generating more hatred and violence. No one, no nation is safer today.

The number of U.S. servicepeople killed in Iraq is unrelentingly
approaching the number of people killed on September 11; Iraqi deaths are
unimaginably higher, with the violence sparked by the U.S. invasion
escalating every month.

We are heartbroken -- and we are angry. The Bush Administration has turned
tragedy into catastrophe. They, and all those who have supported their
destructive policies, must be stopped. The war in Iraq must end now and new
wars must be stopped before they start.

So as we take time today for sad remembrance of the past, we also look
ahead to an entire fall of activities and organizing for peace. We hope
you'll use this occasion to renew your commitment to taking action toward
ending the war in Iraq, bringing all the troops home, and preventing future
wars of aggression.

Here are some ways you can plug in:

1.
Participate in the
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=5&url=http://www.declarationofpeace.org/>Declaration
of Peace activities being organized around the country. We are demanding
that our representatives in Congress take action to end the war in Iraq.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=6&url=http://www.declarationofpeace.org/view/events>Find
out what's happening in your area, and learn more about how you can be
involved.

2.
Join the efforts of the
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=7&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3298>Voters
for Peace campaign. Help gather signatures on the
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=8&url=http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/ufpj/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=339>Voters
for Peace Pledge and send a message to everyone running for Congress this
year: We want the war to end and we want it to end now!

3.
Learn more about how you can use this election season to turn up the heat
on Congress and the Bush Administration as we give the antiwar sentiment
throughout the nation greater voice and visibility. Check out the
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=9&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/elections2006>Elections
Clearinghouse on the UFPJ website.

Help United for Peace and Justice strengthen our efforts in the weeks and
months ahead. Please think about
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=10&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>making
a generous donation today, as we re-commit ourselves to the struggle for a
world truly at peace, with justice.

If you are in the New York City area, please join us Tuesday, September 19,
at 9am, to stand up to Bush as he addresses the UN.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=11&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org>Check
our website in the coming days for details about where we are assemblying
and the march route.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=12&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/transport>If
you need a ride to NYC, please check our ride board.

Help us continue to do this critical work:
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=184694394&url_num=13&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>Make
a donation to UFPJ today.

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
To subscribe, visit
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email>www.unitedforpeace.org/email

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, visit
<http://www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp>www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp