NL 25 June - Part One

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

CENSURA
Dahr Jamail, Comedonchisciotte.org
...Come testimone ho rilasciato interviste a molti giornali ed oggi ho
incontrato i reporter di uno dei quotidiani turchi più diffusi, il Yen
Safak Newspaper. Lascierò anonimi i reporter, per ragioni che capirete
presto.
Il giornale ha tradotto in turco e pubblicato vari miei articoli, in
particolare quelli che riguardavano il recente massacro di Fallujah. Il
reporter che mi stava intervistando oggi mi ha detto che il vice console
americano in Turchia, Eric Edelman, ha chiesto al primo ministro di fare
pressioni al suo giornale (del giornalista, ndt) perché non pubblicassero
così tanti miei articoli (...) Le persone come Edelman non vogliono che la
gente sappia che le tattiche impiegate a Fallujah dai militari USA sono
impiegate ora ad Haditha e Al-Qa'im - detenere civili innocenti in massa,
sparare alle ambulanze, impedire l'aiuto medico e appostare cecchini con il
compito di sparare a chiunque si muova....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13032&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13032

Story of Inventing Insurgents Creates Allergic Reaction in the Press
Stan Goff
The stark but informative site Cryptome.org is carrying a story with photos
of how a Marine unit gathered the bodies of teenage boys from a soccer
field, and rounded up nearby living teenaged boys, and posed them all with
weapons that the Marines already had. Before I riff a bit on this, let me
suggest we cluster-blog these stories, or carpet-blog, whichever Air Force
metaphor most suits you. Maximum distribution by linking and re-post! ing
for those special stories that tear the mask off the real character of this
war. Those of us who spent time ‘humpin’ the boonies’ in Vietnam remember
this practice very well...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13020&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13020

The Conduct of the UN Before and After the 2003 Invasion
Testimony given to the World Tribunal on Iraq
Hans Von Sponeck, CommonDreams.org
...If this is done, it quickly becomes clear that primary responsibility
for the human catastrophe in Iraq lies with the political UN, with those
member governments in the UN Security Council who had the power to make a
difference. The failure of the Council to make a humanitarian, ethical and
legal difference is much more monumental than is commonly known. ! There is
not only the betrayal of the Iraqi people but also the betrayal of the UN
Charter and the betrayal of the international conscience...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13033&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13033

Witnesses at WTI slam US actions in Iraq
AFP
...The only journalist present in the city of Fallujah when it was attacked
in April and November 2004 said the assault on it amounted to “genocide”.
Fadhil Al Bedrani, of the Al Jazeera network, told how a 70-year-old man
died for lack of medical supplies and of the stench of rotting bodies
“abandoned in the streets and eaten by animals.” The plight of Iraqi women
has worsened badly since the occupation, Hana Ibrahim, an Iraqi feminist
said. “From the day the occupati! on started there have been systematic
violations of women’s rights. They have been kidnapped, raped and even
taken to other countries by criminal networks,” she said..

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13035&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13035

America turns on Bush over Iraq
Three in five want troops out as President vows to stay
Rupert Cornwell
Beset by fading public support for the war and growing violence on the
ground, President George Bush flatly rejected any timetable for troop
withdrawal from Iraq, vowing the United States would stay until the
insurgency was defeated and democracy had been established. "This is a time
of testing, a critical time," Mr Bush acknowledged yesterday after a
meeting at the White House with Ibrahim al! -Jaafari, the Iraqi Prime
Minister...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13028&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13028

Evangelicals Building a Base in Iraq
Newcomers Raise Worry Among Traditional Church Leaders
Caryle Murphy, Washington Post Staff Writer
With arms outstretched, the congregation at National Evangelical Baptist
Church belted out a praise hymn backed up by drums, electric guitar and
keyboard. In the corner, slide images of Jesus filled a large screen. A
simple white cross of wood adorned the stage, and worshipers sprinkled the
pastor's Bible-based sermon with approving shouts of "Ameen!" National ! is
Iraq's first Baptist congregation and one of at least seven new Christian
evangelical churches established in Baghdad in the past two years (...)
"The way the preachers arrived here . . . with soldiers . . . was not a
good thing," said Baghdad's Roman Catholic archbishop, Jean Sleiman...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13034&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13034

Twice fooled–shame on us: The case for impeachment
William John Cox, Online Journal Contributing Writer
...We cannot do nothing! Silence is complicity. We cannot allow Bush (or
his co-conspirator Cheney) to remain in office. It is time to lock away the
dangerous game of war that Bush has been playing and restore the United
States to the path of peace. The soul of America is infused by the good
will of our neighbors, and the future of our children depends upon the
harmony they share with our common humanity...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13030&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13030

White House aide Karl Rove witch-hunts Iraq war opponents
Patrick Martin, WSWS
In a heavy-handed effort to intimidate opponents of the US wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan, top White House political aide Karl Rove delivered a speech
Wednesday in New York City that all but accused critics of these wars of
giving aid and comfort to the terrorists. Rove declared that while the Bush
administration responded to the 9/11 attacks by waging war, liberals
responded by offering “therapy and understanding for our attackers.”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13026&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13026

U-2 crash in UAE
Xymphora
...Air Force Maj. Duane Dively died on June 22, 2005 in a mysterious U-2
crash in the United Arab Emirates. Although the official story was that he
had been on a mission in support of American troops in Afghanistan, it
isn't too much of a stretch to conclude that he was really spying on Iran.
By far the oddest part of this story is that we're hearing about it. The
reason we don't hear too many U-2 stories is because such espionage is
supposed to be a secret...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13025&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13025

Three-Hour Battle Between US Forces and Iraqi Resistance in Tal Afar, 13
Killed Mostly Policemen
Aljazeerah.info
Iraqi resistance fighters stormed a police station in western Iraq on
Saturday and fought a three-hour battle with U.S. and Iraqi forces in the
north, challenging assertions from Washington that the resistance is being
crushed. A day after news of a bomb attack that killed six Americans
intruded on talks between President Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim
Ja'afari, the killing of eight policemen at! Ramadi and combat at Tal Afar
provided further evidence that Iraqi and foreign fighters remain a force...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13036&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13036

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Friday, 24 June 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
...The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam who attended the press
conference in the al-Fallujah Youth Center in the middle of town reported
the US spokesman – whom he referred to as “Sam Daimon” – said that it is
feared that the US military might be compelled to wage a third battle of
al-Fallujah if the attacks continue to esca! late...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13023&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13023

Torture Gone Wild: the Camp Gitmo Reality Show
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
Now that the United States has admitted torturing abductees, the
right-wingers need to call Dick Durbin and apologize for questioning his
patriotism. “Washington has for the first time acknowledged to the United
Nations that prisoners have been tortured at United States detention
centers in Guantanamo Bay, as well as in Afghanistan and Iraq,” reports the
Independent on Saturday. “The acknowledgement was made in a report
submitted! on Friday to the UN Committee against Torture, said a member of
the 10-person panel.” So there you have it...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13024&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13024

Student Unions [in Iraq] Call for Withdrawal of Occupation Troops
Juan Cole, Informed Comment
11 Student Unions approved the call made on al-Jaafari’s Government to set
a timetable for the withdrawal of multinational forces and considered that
the request made [by the Government at the UN] for the extension of their
presence is “an infringement on Parliament’s prerogatives.” The 11 Unions
issued yesterday a statement, of which Al-Hayat got a copy, supporting the
members of the Independent National Bloc and other ! MPs [see the article
by the same author dated June 20] and calling on “al-Jaafari’s Government,
the United Nations and its Security Council to adopt these demands”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13021&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13021

Ten Senators Demand Inquiry Into Use of Intelligence Information By The
Bush Administration
Kevin Zeese
In a letter released by Raw Story, 10 U.S. Senators wrote to the Chairman
of the Select Committee on Intelligence, Pat Roberts and the Vice Chairman
of the Committee, Jay Rockefeller requesting an "inquiry to . . . examine
the use of intelligence by policy makers." The senators note that this was
promised by the Chairman well over one year ago in February 2004. Their
letter references the Downing Street Memo ! reporting minutes of a meeting
in Great Britain saying this inquiry takes on "renewed urgency" because the
minutes "raise troubling questions about the use of intelligence by
American policy makers"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13019&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13019

Statement of Richard Falk at Press Conference for WTI
WTI - Independent Media Center
...The WTI takes these words seriously as a call to action. We who are
participating in this Tribunal are speaking here in Turkey as ‘citizens of
the world’ who are part of a global movement to oppose aggressive wars and
to resist the wider ambitions of the United States Government to override
the sovereignty and independence of states. And we of the WTI are calling
on others in every country who seek global peace and justice, in! cluding
the protection of human rights, to join us in doing this vital work...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13018&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13018

World Tribunal for Iraq, Culminating Session Testimony
Dahr Jamail, Electronic Iraq
...With 70% unemployment, a growing resistance and an infrastructure in
shambles, the future for Iraq remains bleak as long as the failed
occupation persists. While the Bush Administration continues to disregard
calls for a timetable for withdrawal, Iraqis continue to suffer and die
with little hope for their future. With each passing day, the catastrophe
in Iraq resembles the US debacle in Vietnam more and more...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13029&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13029

Iraqi Sunni group spokesman says Bush's statements 'can't be trusted'
Monsters and Critics.com
...[Nammur] President Bush, however, believes that only the gunmen would
profit from a US military withdrawal? [Al-Faydi] We differ with President
Bush on his choice of words; he calls them insurgents and terrorists.
However, we call them resistance men, taking into consideration, of course,
the difference between resistance and terrorism. There is no doubt that a
US military withdrawal would benefit the Iraqi resistanc! e, but we believe
that our sons in the resistance will not act on a sectarian basis and will
not sabotage Iraq in the event of such a withdrawal...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13017&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13017

"Live Free, Or Die."
I am an American. I am writing to you to express my support for what you
are doing and to tell you that I support the Iraqi resistance. In fact, I
believe that there are quite a large number of Americans who feel the same
way as I do, to one degree or another, because they understand how criminal
this war and occupation is and that America is solidly in the wrong...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13009&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13009

The March of the Madder’n Hells
Mark Drolette, www.dissidentvoice.org
...The basic plan is to gather (place to be determined), march on September
6* to Lafayette Park, rally, and then march again to the Capitol Building
steps and White House gate. Once there, all one million of us (the ones in
the back may have to get on tip-toes and lean in a bit to hear) will demand
but two things: that Congress open hearings on the memos and that the White
House address, point by point, the memos’ assertions. If the Bushies ba! lk
and contend the memos contain rubbish (a big “if,” huh?), then we insist on
seeing the administration’s corroborating documentation. Remember, the
absence of evidence doesn’t mean there is absence of evidence. Or whatever.
(Whenever I paraphrase or try to quote Donald Rumsfeld, or even remember we
occupy the same planet, it just reminds me again of what a total idiot he
is. Also.)...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13007&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13007

The Other War
William S. Lind
In view of the steady stream of bad news from Iraq – five dead Marines in
Saturday’s paper, two more in Sunday’s and four soldiers in Monday’s, along
with the Baathist element of the resistance so "weakened" it is now
striking targets in Iran – it is easy to forget that we are fighting, and
losing, not one Fourth Generation war but two...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12925&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12925

Al-Duri Leads Baath
Birth of His Daughter in Mosul
Juan Cole, Informed Comment
...Yesterday, al-Quds al-Arabi carried the following (trans. FBIS): The
Iraqi Ba'th Party issued a statement commemorating the sixteenth
anniversary of the death of Michel Aflaq in which it confirmed its
commitment to the option of armed resistance in Iraq. The following is the
text of the statement: "With encouragement for the struggle, comradely
deference, and ideological commitment, the Ba'thist mujahidin in resisting
Iraq a! nd their comrades in the lands of the Arab Nation and the diaspora
salute the sixteenth anniversary of the death of the late commander,
founder, and comrade Michel Aflaq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13008&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13008

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.