[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 31 May 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Dust off the Nuremberg Files
Anwaar Hussain, Fountainhead
At Nuremberg, in early October 1945, the four prosecuting nations -- the
United States, Great Britain, France and Russia -- issued an indictment
against 24 men and six organizations of the Nazi Germany. Of that 24 only
21 eventually sat down in the trial. The individual defendants were charged
not only with the systematic murder of millions of people, but also with
planning and carrying out the war in Europe. Twelve Nazi officials were
sentenced to be hang! ed, three sentenced to life in prison, four were
given prison sentences of 10-20 years, and the rest were acquitted.
Presently, the ongoing American and British slaughter of thousands of Iraqi
and Afghan civilians constitutes a blatant war crime. Average legal skills
should be able to prove that a similar case for the prosecution against the
current coalition leaders can easily be constructed on comparable lines...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12197&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12197

OIL-FOR-FOOD FACTS, NOT FANTASY
Malcom Lagauche
After maintaining a 13-year embargo against Iraq for a big lie (weapons of
mass destruction), the U.S. is still trying to gain political ground for
such a humanitarian disaster the led to the deaths of about two million
people and the destruction of the infrastructure of a modern country,
turning it into, in the words of the U.N., "a pre-industrial society." Now,
the U.S. is accusing the U.N. of being part of a scheme between Iraq and
the organization where people s! kimmed money off the top of the
"oil-for-food" program. However, proof is emerging showing there was no
scandal...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12202&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12202

Whooping it up with the black ops boys ...
The Abu Musab al-Zarqawi show
Nick Possum
The last week of May was a nail-biting time for fans of the greatest soap
opera to come out of the War on Terror – the Abu Musab al-Zarqawi Show. By
week’s end the world’s most wanted terrorist – scourge of the occupation
and Shiite Muslims, representative of Osama bin Forgotten – gravely wounded
in battle, had made his way to the safety of Shiite Iran. Think about that.
He manages to get from the west of Iraq, across ! the war-torn country,
through dozens of checkpoints, to seek safety among apostates he had sworn
to expunge from the face of the earth. If you believe that, I have a
second-hand Nissan Bluebird to sell you...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12199&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12199

Operation Desperation: Rumsfeld’s Baghdad Fiasco
Mike Whitney, www.dissidentvoice.org
No one could have dreamed that two years after Bush declared “Mission
Accomplished”, 40,000 Iraqi security personnel and 10,000 American soldiers
would be needed to pacify Baghdad, but that, in fact, is the underlying
meaning of Rumsfeld’s Operation Lightening. Simply put, the magnitude of
the failure exceeds our wildest expectations. It’s clear now that the size
and strength of the insurgency has surpassed all the previous pre! dictions
and that the civilian leadership of the occupation forces is lashing out in
desperation to quell the violence. Iraq has quickly degenerated into the
most poorly executed military campaign in American history. The United
States is being beaten, and beaten quite badly...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12220&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12220

Transforming the military to protect the plutocrats
Mike Whitney , The Smirking Chimp
The United States Military is a fully owned subsidiary of the corporate and
financial establishment. It plays no role in defending the American people.
The function of today's military is to seize the world's dwindling
resources through force of arms and provide a taxpayer-funded security
apparatus for multi-nationals and energy giants. The notion that the $500
billion per year Goliath is designed to protect the American people ! is
sheer lunacy. Its real purpose is to win wars of aggression, siphon-off the
wealth of foreign nations, and crush the subsequent resistance movements.
Anything else is purely public relations pabulum...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12218&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12218

The Iraq Daily News Reel contains summaries of the most important and
notable events from the Iraqi theatre, as relayed by Quds Press
correspondents
www.albasrah.net
- The US military discloses the death of one of its members in Haditha in
western Iraq, during operations being carried out by American forces in
pursuit of Iraqi resistance fighters.
- 5 killed, 50 wounded in 3 car-bomb explosions targetting a [puppet] Iraqi
army base in Sinjar, west of Mousil in northern Iraq.
- Explosion targets US checkpoint in Mousil. US forces respond with
indiscriminate firing which leaves 3 Iraqis dead and 9 others wounded...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12219&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12219

Perle's pogrom
Xymphora
...Whatever else Perle may be, he is not stupid, so why is he advocating a
course for the United States that will lead to the consolidation of the
strength of the hardliners in Iran? Surely that can't be in the interests
of Israel? The plan is to so enrage the Iranians with the bombing attacks -
to put a bee in their turbans - that the next step of the long-term Zionist
plan for the Middle East can be put in place (other parts of the plan
include instigating wars so that land can be taken,! illegally occupying
that land, oppressing the inhabitants and calling their reaction
'terrorism', pushing for the attack in Iraq, and taking steps to ensure
that Iraq is broken into small countries)...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12214&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12214

Why Americans Should Support the Troops
Stan Moore, Media Monitors Network
...Why should Americans support the troops? It is all about morale and self
esteem. We want our troops to feel good about themselves! We want our
troops to be proud of their illegal and immoral participation in the
pursuit of empire! We want our troops to be proud and feel good about their
role in torture, rape, murder, and illegal occupation of an innocent
sovereign nation. We want American troops to be proud of their infinite
superiori! ty in firepower over any conceivable enemy. We want our troops
to be glad they poisoned a nation with depleted uranium for 4.5 billion
years. We want our American troops to be pleased that they carried the
fight to foreign soil, even though the foreigners involved had no ability
to invade America and no desire or ability to do similar damage to our
nation....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12211&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12211

Welcome to the Third World
RevolutionaryFlowerpotSociety
...The existential reality for most of the US citizens is that their really
existing life conditions are fast approaching a Third World standard. And
yet, most Americans continue to believe they are living in the land of
Number One. Thanks to the diligent efforts of hard leftist writers,
activists and organizations we are now well aware of the perilous state of
civil rights of individuals in the US. We are also equally and painfully
aware of the bagging of ! the US government by the tiniest possible
cliques. We are likewise provided ample documentation to the effect that
Halliburton, Bechtel, and a very few other militaristically-inclined
corporations are receiving the lion’s share of all the profits being made
from illegal and entirely unprovoked wars of aggression (crony capitalism
is the name for it). All of these are fundamental characteristics of
despotic, corrupt Third World dictatorships...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12210&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12210

The al-Qaeda Organization for Holy War in Iraq Melodrama
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
...Like passive soap opera fans, we (or many of us) unquestioningly digest
the absurd and often cartoonish Abu Musab al-Zarqawi storyline, either
refusing or unable to question the inconsistencies and speciousness of it.
And this is precisely what Bush and Crew want—to distract us from reality
(and the reality is the United States cannot defeat the resistance in Iraq)
and fill up our heads with fantastic stories, especi! ally when lurid facts
(soldiers killed when a helicopter is shot down near Baquba) and blunders
(the embarrassing arrest Mohsen Abdul-Halim) make Iraq out to be something
other than the United States wants us to believe it is...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12209&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12209

60,000 Iraqis 'Disappeared' into US Camps
Fintan Dunne, BreakForNews.com
Independent journalist, Dahr Jamail, citing local humanitarian and other
sources says the number of Iraqis detained by occupation forces is now well
over 60,000 -far in excess of the commonly quoted official figure of
17,000. Speaking exclusively to BreakForNews.com from Amman, Jordan on
Monday night, Jamail said his sources included many doctors and the
director of a humanitarian organization in Fallujah. "These people are
missing pe! rson's who have essentially been 'disappeared' in their own
country, said Jamail...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12208&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12208

The 'I' word
Ralph Nader and Kevin Zeese
THE IMPEACHMENT of President Bush and Vice President Cheney, under Article
II, Section 4 of the Constitution, should be part of mainstream political
discourse. Minutes from a summer 2002 meeting involving British Prime
Minister Tony Blair reveal that the Bush administration was ''fixing" the
intelligence to justify invading Iraq. US intelligence used to justify the
war demonstrates repeatedly the truth of the meeting minutes -- evidence
was thin and needed fixing...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12207&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12207

Facing Chaos, Iraqi Doctors Are Quitting
SABRINA TAVERNISE
The letter came to this city's main cardiac hospital late last month. It
was unsigned and handwritten, but its message was clear: It threatened the
hospital's top doctors and warned them to leave their jobs immediately. No
one knows who sent the letter, but the relentless violence here is often
baffling. Four of the hospital's top surgeons stopped going to work. So did
six senior cardiologists. Some left the country. It was far from an
isolated incident.! The director of another hospital, Dr. Abdula Sahab
Eunice, was gunned down May 17 on his way to work, officials at the
hospital said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12205&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12205

Basra out of control, says chief of police
Rory Carroll, The Guardian
The chief of police in Basra admitted yesterday that he had effectively
lost control of three-quarters of his officers and that sectarian militias
had infiltrated the force and were using their posts to assassinate
opponents. Speaking to the Guardian, General Hassan al-Sade said half of
his 13,750-strong force was secretly working for political parties in
Iraq's second city and that some officers were involved in ambushes...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12204&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12204

Three trials, three whitewashes: US military ratifies murder of Iraq prisoners
Patrick Martin, WSWS
Three trials conducted last week, ending in dropped charges or not guilty
verdicts, demonstrate that the US military justice system will whitewash
even the most brazen acts of murder against Iraqis. At Ft. Hood, Texas,
Army Staff Sgt. Shane Werst was court-martialed for the murder of an
unarmed Iraqi during the search of his home in January 2004. Werst, 32,
faced charges of premeditated murder and obstruction of ju! stice in the
death of Naser Ismail. According to the military prosecutor, Werst was
angry about the death of an Army captain in a mortar attack the previous
day, and took his revenge on Ismail, whom he thought was lying about his
identity...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12203&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12203

Depleted, it ain't! So-called depleted uranium, that is!
By Bob Nichols, Project Censored Award Winner & Online Journal Contributing
Writer
The term "Depleted Uranium" is misleading, on purpose. So-called "depleted
uranium" (DU) results from making hydrogen bombs. The CIA tries to deceive
us all, all the time. They have succeeded for 55 years. George Lakoff blows
the lid off the "Big Lie" about uranium weapons use...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12217&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12217

Baghdad family: 'This is not life'
Parents do what they can to keep children safe
Richard Engel
Salma Hassan's world has been reduced to a cement courtyard. It's where she
bakes flat bread so she doesn't have to go the bakery. And though the
Hassan family lives in Karadah, one of Baghdad's safest neighborhoods, the
Hassans feel it’s too dangerous to go outside. So now 18 of members of the
extended family are crammed into five rooms with dirty water, backed-up
sewers and sporadic electricity. But the big! gest hardship is feeling like
prisoners of the unrelenting violence...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12216&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12216

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi: The Dead Voice of "al Qaeda" in Iraq
What Really Happened
When you hear Zarqawi mentioned in the news just have a think about the
following...
A Jordanian extremist suspected of bloody suicide attacks in Iraq was
killed some time ago in U.S. bombing and a letter outlining plans for
fomenting sectarian war is a forgery, a statement allegedly from an
insurgent group west of the capital said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12212&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12212

Demise of four rabbis near Baghdad International Airport
Imad Khadduri , Free Iraq
"The Iraqi Resistance killed four rabbis near the gates of Baghdad
International Airport on Tuesday morning (May 31, 2005) when a suicide
bomber attacked their black GMC at 10:00 a.m. Baghdad time. [Muffakirat
al-Islam] Reporter quoted an Iraqi airport security guard, Nasir
al-Dallawi, that the attack targeted four rabbis, who came to Iraq to visit
British and American troops in Baghdad and southern Iraq, and their Greek
driver. Th! eir bodies were removed from near the airport gates after
suspending all air travel for one hour...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12201&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12201

Italians die in Iraq helicopter crash
Aljazeera.net
An Italian army helicopter has crashed southeast of the Iraqi city of
Nasiriya, killing four Italians, Italy's military command says. The AB 412
helicopter crashed overnight about 13km southeast of Nasiriya, the southern
Iraqi city where Italy's 3000 troops are based, the military said in a
statement on Tuesday...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12195&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12195

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 30 May 2005.
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
...Nine prisoners being held in the notorious Abu Ghurayb prison camp near
Baghdad managed to escape, prompting a large-scale American manhunt in the
areas around the facility on Monday. A captain in the puppet forces told
Mafkarat al-Islam that the prisoners got out through a 40-meter long tunnel
from inside the prison to the outsi! de. The source said that three of the
escapees were leaders of the Army of the Partisans of the Sunnah and First
Army of Muhammad Resistance organizations...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12194&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12194

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.