[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 02 May 2005 - Part Two]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

CORPORATE WORLD GOVERNMENT
Owatica
...The Iraqi people's anti-occupation army has mounted blistering attacks
upon American occupation forces, exercising their right to defend
themselves from murderers and theives. The Vietnamese people were able to
repel such an attack decades ago, so there is hope for Iraq. But at what
price to the Iraqi people? I am not suggesting the Iraqis should not defend
themselves, I am suggesting the Iraqis should not HAVE to defend
themselves. They should never have been attacked in the! first place. If
you look at the history of some of my American Indian ancestors, you will
realize the historical significance of the attack upon Iraq. It is always
the same and it has been going on forever. Historically, people and
countries all over the world experience the same atrocities...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11471&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11471

Planned US-Israeli Attack on Iran
Michel Chossudovsky, www.globalresearch.ca
At the outset of Bush's second term, Vice President Dick Cheney dropped a
bombshell. He hinted, in no uncertain terms, that Iran was "right at the
top of the list" of the rogue enemies of America, and that Israel would, so
to speak, "be doing the bombing for us", without US military involvement
and without us putting pressure on them "to do it": "One of the concerns
people have is that Israel might do it without being asked... Given ! the
fact that Iran has a stated policy that their objective is the destruction
of Israel, the Israelis might well decide to act first, and let the rest of
the world worry about cleaning up the diplomatic mess afterwards"....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11483&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11483

An Army of the Unwilling
Niko Kyriakou, Axis of Logic
Axis of Logic stands solid with those young men and women who are resisting
or refusing service in the U.S. military during the time of the U.S.
criminal wars on Afghanistan, Iraq and covert U.S. military operations in
other sovereign nations. We encourage young men and women and their
families seeking refuge from the U.S. military and those dealing with
recruitment/enlistment issues to contact our very competent friends at
JOIN-SNAFU.ORG for assistance....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11488&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11488

Fraudulent Labeling
Bernard J. Fine, POAC
...The same Tush administration that has been denying that there is such a
thing as global warming is now also denying the terrible effects of DU on
humans. Other nations have outlawed DU, but the United States apparently is
willing to sacrifice its soldiers in order to satisfy the insatiable demand
of Bush and associates for oil. Meanwhile, the effects of DU keep adding
up. Now, our children, led by their noses to war by the government's
propaganda machine, and, often! , by parents who should know better, not
only are at risk from all kinds of enemy gunfire and bombs, but also by DU
given to them as part of the very same armaments they have to protect
themselves...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11487&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11487

Saved by the Carrots...
Riverbend, Baghdad Burning
These last few days have been explosive- quite literally. It started about
4 days ago and it hasn't let up since. They say there were around 14 car
bombs in Baghdad alone a couple of days ago- although we only heard 6 from
our area. Cars are making me very nervous lately. All cars look suspicious-
small ones and large ones. Old cars and new cars. Cars with drivers and
cars parked in front of restaurants and shops. They all have a sinister
look to them these days.! ..

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11480&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11480

Lobbyists or Organizers?
If Imperialism is the Cause, Shouldn't the US Anti-War Movement be
Anti-Imperialist?
RON JACOBS, CounterPunch
...So, what do we need to do? I don't claim to have any of the answers,
but, if we look once again at history, we can find some very helpful clues.
The most important one being that we must understand that the war in Iraq
and the "war on terror" are imperial wars. In other words, they are part
and parcel of Washington's and Wall Street's need to maintain, control, and
e! xpand their markets. That means the movement against these wars must be
an anti-imperialist movement...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11478&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11478

Iraq's Institutions of Higher Education
Raed Jarrar
''The devastation of the Iraqi system of higher education has been
overlooked amid other cataclysmic war results but represents an important
consequence of the conflicts, economic sanctions, and ongoing turmoil in
Iraq,'' said Jairam Reddy, director of the United Nations University (UNU)
International Leadership Institute in Amman, Jordan. Since the start of the
U.S.-led invasion and occupation in 2003, some 84 percent of Iraq's
institutions of higher education ! have been burnt, looted, or destroyed,
Reddy said in an assessment released Sunday. Some 2,000 laboratories need
to be re-equipped and 30,000 computers need to be procured and installed
nationwide, he added...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11477&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11477

What We Don't and Do Know
The Case of Hasan Akbar
STAN GOFF, CounterPunch
The determinations of a court martial, in much the same way as a civilian
trial, conform to reality selectively where these determinations match the
facts at all. That is certainly the case for Hasan Akbar, who was sentenced
to death last week for fragging his fellow soldiers in Kuwait. The only
person who knows what happened on March 22, two and a half days after the
ground offensive to invade and militarily occupy sovereign Ira! q, may be
Hasan Akbar himself, and even that may be a risky assumption. All trials
are inherently and deeply political events. That is why this trial cannot
be ignored...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11475&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11475

The Long Way Home
Getting Out of Iraq will Prove Tougher Than Getting Out of Vietnam
KEVIN ZEESE, CounterPunch
Daniel Ellsberg, of Pentagon Papers fame, gave the worst news of the day to
those examining lessons from Vietnam thirty years after the end of the war
- we're going to be in Iraq a long time. It will be tougher to get out of
Iraq, than it was to get out of Vietnam. Why? The major difference between
Vietnam and Iraq is Iraq has oil, Vietnam doesn't and we need oil. It is
much easier to start a ! war than it is to end one...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11474&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11474

Lawyer fears Saddam prison cell assassination plot
IrelandOn-line
Saddam Hussein's chief lawyer today accused unnamed Iranian-backed Iraqi
politicians of plotting to assassinate the ousted dictator in his prison
cell and held the US responsible for his safety. Ziad al-Khasawneh said he
based his information on a message allegedly sent by a former Iraqi
government official he identified as Hazem al-Obeidi addressed to Saddam's
Jordan-based legal team and posted on a pro-Saddam website...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11473&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11473

England Pleads Guilty to Abusing Prisoners
T.A. BADGER, Associated Press Writer
Pfc. Lynndie England, the young woman pictured grinning, giving a thumbs-up
and holding a naked Iraqi by a leash in some of the most notorious photos
to come out of the Abu Ghraib scandal, pleaded guilty Monday to mistreating
prisoners. Wearing her dress green Army uniform and speaking somberly in a
soft voice, the 22-year-old Army reservist told the judge that she
initially resisted taking part in the abuse at the Baghdad prison, bu! t
ultimately caved in to pressure from her comrades...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11486&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11486

Italy Cites 'Stress' in Agent's Shooting
AIDAN LEWIS, Associated Press Writer
Italian investigators have concluded that ``stress'' and ``inexperience''
played a role in the shooting death of an Italian agent by U.S. soldiers in
Baghdad, the ANSA news agency reported Monday. The report said, however,
that it was difficult to pinpoint any individual responsibility in the
deadly shooting of intelligence agent Nicola Calipari March 4, according to
the Italian news agency. It cited the report, which was given to Ital! ian
officials a few hours earlier...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11485&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11485

"A Thin Case for War"
Leaked UK Memo Indicts Blair's Iraq Folly
JOSHUA FRANK, CounterPunch
As if there wasn't already enough damming reports floating around that
prove President Bush and the neo-cons were hell-bent on invading Iraq --
now this. On Sunday, May 1, the Independent in the UK released a report
that cites an internal memo released in July of 2002, which exposes that
Prime Minister Tony Blair, after meeting with his top government officials,
had already committed to overthrowing Saddam Hussei! n...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11479&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11479

Many killed in deadly Baghdad blasts
Aljazeera.net
Many Iraqis, several of them policemen, have been killed and injured in
three separate explosions in the capital Baghdad. Aljazeera learned that in
the latest attack on Monday, a car bomb targeted an Iraqi patrol in Zayyuna
neighbourhood east of Baghdad. Iraqi journalist Walid Khalid told Aljazeera
that a bomber drove an explosive-laden car through a checkpoint in the
Zayyuna area north of the Iraqi capital...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11476&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11476

Team Bush Goes Unpunished for Torture
Marjorie Cohn, t r u t h o u t
When the torture photographs began to emerge from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison
one year ago, Bush said, "Those mistakes will be investigated, and people
will be brought to justice." As fingers began to point up the
chain-of-command, some prisoners were released and commanders were
reassigned. Congress held hearings, investigations were undertaken, and
some low-ranking soldiers were prosecuted. But those responsible for
setting the policy that led to! widespread and systemic torture of
prisoners in United States custody remain uninvestigated and un-indicted...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11472&s2=03>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11472

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.