[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 26 Jan 2005 - Part One]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Seymour Hersh: "We've Been Taken Over by a Cult"
Democracy Now!
... We took Baghdad easily. It wasn't because be won. We took Baghdad
because they pulled back and let us take it and decided to fight a war that
had been pre-planned that they're very actively fighting. The frightening
thing about it is, we have no intelligence. Maybe it's -- it's -- it is
frightening, we have no intelligence about what they're doing. A
year-and-a-half ago, we're up against two and three-man teams. We estimated
the cells operating ag ainst us were two and three people, that we could
not penetrate. As of now, we still don't know what's coming next. There are
10, 15-man groups. They have terrific communications...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9191&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9191

CIA and SSB: One in the Same in the Pentagon’s Borg Hive
Kurt Nimmo
... Imagine an “Armee Clandestine,” sort of the type the CIA created in
Laos to attack the Pathet Lao, in Iraq and, coming soon (or maybe already
arrived) in Iran. Of course, after this failed miserably in Laos, the
Pentagon simply resorted to its standard form of brute force—bombing the
hell out of the place. Or maybe the new CIA-SSB hybrid will put together an
Iraqi version of the “Tonton Macoutes,” the Pentagon created thugs in Haiti
that event ually killed around 100,000 during the Duvalier family reign. In
fact, rumor has it they already have. Then, of course, there was the CIA’s
Operation Phoenix, responsible for assassinating around 20,000 Vietnamese
for the crime of wanting to run their own country. Once again, there is a
rumor Iraq has its own Operation Phoenix, well under way....

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9190&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9190

36 More U.S. Troops Killed Today in Iraq! A Call for Self-Examination in
the United States.
Axis of Logic Editorial Board
...It is also becoming increasingly obvious that the U.S. is losing this
war. The military losses are heaping up upon the loss of international
respect for the United States and it's loss of moral authority throughout
the world. The United States looks more and more like a rudderless ship in
a storm. It has no direction, purpose, leadership or honor. We call on all
U.S. citizens to join the gro wing international movement to end the war in
Iraq and bring the troops home without further delay...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9192&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9192

George Bush's F-word
Steven Backus, CommonDreams.org
...The most important idea behind Bush's brand of freedom is how it is
"advanced". Usually through the barrel of a gun, in the fighting, even
though the act itself is a form of slavery. This advancement through
violence and terror has been around for a long time: we've left its brand
on native populations, African Americans, the Japanese, the Vietnamese, the
peoples of Central America, women, minorities, and the working poor. Now
that brand is burning into the I raqi population so fiercely as to leave
most Americans doomed beyond despair and many Iraqis dead or traumatized.
Witness the carnage of Falluja alone, a place we decimated while Mr. Bush
claimed that "freedom was on the march"...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9193&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9193

31 killed in Iraq helicopter crash: military
AFP
A Marine Corps transport helicopter crashed in Iraq early Wednesday,
killing all 31 US marines aboard, military officials confirmed, marking the
biggest single day loss of US troops since the 2003 invasion (...) The
CH-53 helicopter was carrying troops from the 1st Marine Division on
operations near Ar Rutbah in western Iraq when it crashed, the Marine Corps
said in a statement.

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9187&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9187

Dehumanization, Murder, and Crimes Against Humanity: the “Moral Clarity” of
Sharansky and Bush
Kurt Nimmo
...During the second Bush administration, this dehumanization, portrayed as
a grand battle between the forces of light and dark, will grow in intensity
as the Strausscons, at the behest of Israel and far-right Zionist
ideologues such as Anatoly “Natan” Sharansky, continue their effort to
pitch the Middle East into the abyss of World War IV, as the Strausscons
describe it, and thus exact their long-held desire to make Israel the
region’s undisputed hegemon. It is no mistake Bush is using Sharansky’s
absurd book to foment more dehumanization and violence...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9189&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9189

Truck bomb hits Kurdish party office
Aljazeera.net
A truck bomb attack in northwest Iraq has killed up to 15 people on a day
that has seen fighters attack the offices of three political parties
northeast of Baghdad. A truck bomb exploded near the offices of a major
Kurdish party in the Iraqi town of Sinjar on Wednesday, killing at least 15
people and wounding 30, the local mayor said. Kurdish official Dakhil
Kassim Hassun said the blast targeted the offices of the Kurdistan
Democratic Party in Sinjar, close to the Syrian border in northern Iraq...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9186&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9186

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 24 January 2005 and Tuesday,
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice.
...An Italian judge has dropped terrorism charges against five Arabs from
North African accused of sending martyrdom bombers to Iraq. Judge
Clementina Forleo said on Monday that the five were guerrillas, not
terrorists - a ruling that drew a fierce reaction from the Italian regime,
a NATO satellite of Washington. All five had been charged with recruiting
fighters to go to Iraq and planning attacks in Europe, but the judge said
there was no evidence to back up the charges regarding planned attacks in
Europe. Forleo added that there was no evidence the four Tunisians and
Moroccan were involved in anything beyond what might be considered
guerrilla resistance activities...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9185&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9185

Kirkuk under curfew as poll centres hit
Aljazeera.net
The interim Iraqi authorities have announced a curfew in the northern city
of Kirkuk as 10 polling centres in areas north of Baghdad came under
overnight attack. Kirkuk on Tuesday was set to impose the curfew and tough
security in a bid to ward off attacks during the country's election
scheduled for 30 January.From Tuesday, Kirkuk authorities ordered an 8pm to
5am curfew which will be extended by two hours on the eve of the election,
in which Iraqis will vote f or a national assembly to draw up a new
constitution...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9183&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9183

Pentagon Files Reveal More Allegations of Abuse in Iraq
John Hendren, The Los Angeles Times
Washington - Pentagon documents released Monday disclosed that Iraqi
prisoners had lodged dozens of abuse complaints against U.S. and Iraqi
personnel who guarded them at a little-known palace in Baghdad converted to
a U.S. prison. Among the allegations was that guards had sodomized a
disabled man and killed his brother, whose dying body was tossed into a
cell, atop his sister...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9181&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9181

Iraqi Women Paying the Price
Dahr Jamail, IslamOnline
Kidnapping has become the crime of choice amongst Iraqi criminal gangs.
With 70% unemployment in “liberated” Iraq, crime is running rampant, with
organized crime enjoying a free hand amidst the terrible security
situation. The families of the kidnapped are at times forced to pay up to
several million dollars ransom—unless they want to receive pieces of their
loved ones, or even their dead bodies. While media attention has focused
heavily on the kidnapping of We sterners, the kidnapping of Iraqis, in
particular Iraqi women, is much more common. As far back as July 2003,
Human Rights Watch (HRW) reported that “the poor security situation in
Baghdad and other Iraqi cities is causing women and girls to severely
restrict their movements for fear of rape and abduction”...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9182&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9182

Rancor in the U.S. Ranks
GEORG MASCOLO and SIEGESMUND VON ILSEMANN, Der Spiegel - IraqWar.ru
US military officials are becoming increasingly vocal in their criticism of
the war in Iraq, telling Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld that more troops
are needed to prevail over the insurgents. Moreover, recruitment is down
and more reservists and members of the National Guard are being sent to
Baghdad...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9176&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9176

Bush wants $80,000,000,000 more for his failed Iraq and Afghan wars
Alan Fram, Associated Press
The Congressional Budget Office is predicting the government will
accumulate another $855 billion in deficits over the next decade, excluding
the costs of President Bush's Social Security plan and ongoing wars in Iraq
and Afghanistan. The report, described by a congressional aide who spoke on
condition of anonymity, was being released Tuesday, the same day
administration officials were expected to describe President Bu sh's
request for fresh $80 billion request to pay for military operations in
Iraq and Afghanistan this year...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9179&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9179

War on Iran?
Madness in High Places
GARY LEUPP, CounterPunch
All during the Bush administration's fear-mongering propaganda effort to
convince Americans that Saddam and his WMDs were a threat, some of us
pointed out that if Iraq's leader actually had such weapons, he'd be crazy
to use them against this country. "But that's just it," we were told, "he's
mad." Nowadays, a former intelligence official tells Seymour Hersh,
"Everyone is saying, 'You can't be serious about targeting Iran. Look at
Iraq.'" He implies that some people in intelligence, currently in the
government, think an attack on yet another nation would be crazy...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9180&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9180

Next Stop on Drive-By Armageddon
Rosa Faiz
...If, as betrayed by the announced plans of the fanatics dreaming up
Another American Century, Afghanistan and Iraq are the antechambers of hell
on earth in the Middle East, the ‘Iranian Campaign’ would constitute the
inner-chambers. Weapons of Mass Destruction present or not, speedily coming
up next on the agenda for another century of barbarity: when (not if) and
how to militarily attack Iran; a nation at peace with its neighbors, and
most of the rest of the world. No apologies for belaboring the point that
Iran is also a nation that has already been subjugated to premeditated US
aggression, in a 1953 CIA-conducted coup that overthrew our democratically
elected Prime Minister Mossadegh; an aggression that completely changed the
course of our modern history, for the worse. More, the invasion of our
country by Iraq in 1980 was completely and actively supported militarily,
financially and logistically by the successive Reagan administrations. And
now the Americans are back for more mass murder and mayhem in our country...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9168&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9168

Microwaving Iraq
'Pacifying' Rays Pose New Hazards In Iraq
William Thomas
On the rooftop of a shrapnel-pocked building in the ruins of Fallujah, a
team of GI's stealthily sets up a gray plastic dome about two-feet in
diameter. Keeping well back from the sight lines of the street and nearby
buildings, they plug the cable connectors on the side of the "popper" into
a power unit. The grunts have no clue what the device does. They are just
following orders...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9177&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9177

Iraqis to Bush: What have we done to deserve this?
Evelyn Pringle, Online Journal Contributing Writer
Despite Bush's endless hypocritical assertions about how we have brought
freedom to Iraq, the truth is that almost all of the people in that country
who have managed to survive the military attacks, have lost loved ones and
had their lives ruined. Iraqis have been telling us to leave ever since we
arrived. They want to run their own country and they want an end to the
torture and killing...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9178&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9178

Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark Calls For Bush Impeachment
Democaracy Now!
...You know, the Nuremberg tribunal called the war of aggression the
supreme international crime, and it is. And George W. Bush has waged a war
of aggression against Iraq. He has killed more than 100,000 people. Are
their lives worth nothing? Can we have a moment of silence in memory of all
of the people that have died in Iraq, because the criminal acts of George
W. Bush in waging this war of aggression?...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9172&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9172

WMDUH!
Was the end of the WMD hunt last week actually 'little noted' or was it
simply 'little covered'?
Matt Taibbi, New York Press.
...The problem wasn't a small, isolated ethical error, like Judith Miller's
Chalabi reporting. The error here was not a mistake of fact. The problem
was that a central tenet of our system of news reporting dictates that lies
of consensus will never be considered punishable mistakes. In other words,
once everyone jumps in the water, a story acquires its own legit imacy...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9173&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9173

Poetic and Psychotic
Iraq as Disneyland
BRIAN CLOUGHLEY, CounterPunch
...The New York Times reported that "Residents trickling back to Falluja .
. . enter a desolate world of skeletal buildings, tank-blasted homes,
weeping power lines and severed palm trees. Sullen and anxious, tens of
thousands of residents have passed through stringent checkpoints to find
out . . . whether their homes and shops were reduced to rubble or merely
ransacked . . . people have to file through huge coils of razor wire and a
gantlet of armed marines to pick up their supplies. On the road . . . Lt.
Col Patrick Malay . . . watched the scene with satisfaction. "This is how I
like it, just like Disneyland," he said. "Orderly lines and people leave
with a smile on their face"...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9171&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9171

Resist U.S. War Crimes
Jeremy Brecher, CommonDreams.org
...But what about the U.S. attack on Iraq, which Kofi Annan has bluntly
called "illegal"? What about the leveling of Fallujah and the targeting of
hospitals and urban neighborhoods? What about torture at Abu Ghraib and
Guantanamo? If a single standard is applied, these too are crimes of war.
And as the Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal stated, "Anyone with knowledge of
illegal activity and an opportunity to do something is a potential criminal
under international law unless the person takes affirmative measures to
prevent the commission of the crimes." How many Americans can honestly
claim to know nothing about this "illegal activity"? ...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=9170&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=9170

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.