[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 06 Nov 2004]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Bush e la guerra
Vasco Pulido Valente, Indymedia
L'America ha perso la guerra in Iraq. Molti lo capiscono e pochissimi lo
dicono, perché la sconfitta non si è ancora consumata; e perché nessuno
vuole pensare a come sarà il mondo dopo che l'America perde la guerra e,
con essa, il Medio Oriente. Ad ogni modo, sebbene perduta, la guerra
continuerà. Come fece la Germania dopo la prima campagna di Russia, come
fece il Giappone dopo Midway, l'America non può concepire il disastro ed
insisterà fino alla fine delle cose ! più amara...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6855&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6855

Falluja & Those Mass Graves
Jude Wanniski
...Meanwhile, this week Human Rights Watch issued its long-awaited
conclusive report on Saddam's genocidal record. As far as I know, the major
news media has not picked up the report, which is available on the internet
at HRW's website,
<http://www.hrw.org/reports/2004/iraq1104/1.htm. >http://www.hrw.org/reports/2004/iraq1104/1.htm.
I read about the report in the British press. It turns out that in 19
months HRW's experts have not been able to ! find the missing 100,000
bodies it said were of Kurds who had been rounded up and trucked south of
Kurdistan, machine-gunned to death and buried in mass graves. In fact, it
now blames the U.S. coalition for not securing those mass graves containing
smaller numbers of Iraqis or keeping looters from carrying off official
Iraqi records of the genocide and the mass graves. You should read the
report in its entirety, David, and maybe you will get your editors to take
a look too (...) Do you see what I mean? Saddam Hussein will soon be put on
trial for crimes against humanity, and the Iraqi prosecutors will not have
the goods on him. Now that the election is over, maybe you will have more
time to devote to this exercise. You should at least give a call to Dr.
Stephen Pelletiere, the retired CIA analyst who has never believed in the
genocide stories, but has awaited the report of Human Rights Watch to see
what it has found...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6856&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6856

'It's nothing personal. We don't want you here'
Richard Lloyd Parry of the Times with the British press pool in Ahmad
al-Hamadi, Iraq
..."Where do you come from?" he asked. "Scotland? So what do you do if
someone comes to your land, to occupy your country? This is an Arab
country, a Muslim country. How would you feel if someone came and destroyed
your homes, killed your families?" "Why does he sit like that?" said the
man, pointing at a soldier crouched with his rifle raised. "It would be
better for you to go. If! you go no one will attack you. If you stay,
they'll come from Falluja and Ramadi and they'll fight you"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6875&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6875

Marines Prepare For Casualties
Biloxi Sun Herald
The number of dead and wounded from the expected battle to retak
insurgent-controlled Fallujah probably will reach levels not seen since
Vietnam, a senior surgeon at the Marine camp outside Fallujah said
Thursday. Navy Cmdr. Lach Noyes said the hospital here is preparing to
handle 25 severely injured soldiers a day, not counting walking wounded and
the dead. The hospital has added two operating rooms, doubled its supplies,
added a mortuary and stocked up on blood r! eserves...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6872&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6872

Iraq's Falluja Finds Devastation After U.S. Raids
Fadel al-Badrani, Reuters
The fiercest U.S. air and artillery bombardment of Falluja in months
destroyed a hospital, a medical warehouse and dozens of homes overnight,
residents said on Saturday. Witnesses said U.S. air strikes and shelling
lit up the night sky and shook the east and north of the rebel-held city. A
small hospital funded by a Saudi Arabian Islamic charity in the central
Nazzal district was reduced to rubble...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6870&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6870

100,000 Iraqis Dead: Should We Believe It?
Stephen Soldz , ZNet
...this study remains the best estimate of Iraq deaths. Its finding are
truly horrifying. (...) Surely, this study should be a wake up call for all
those, regardless of their opinions about the original justifiability of
the war, who sincerely are concerned about the fate of the Iraqi people.
The looming attacks on Falluja and Ramadi suggest that, in the absence of
world outrage restraining this Coalition action, the death and injury toll
will soon ! be rising far higher...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6868&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6868

Spiraling Into Occupied Iraq
Dahr Jamail's Iraq Dispatches
...On the suggestion of Abu Talat, we go visit some friends of ours...a
family whose father/husband was beaten into a coma while in US military
custody. It is safer this way because as my trusted interpreter/fixer tells
me, "Noone knows you are here yet-so this is the best and maybe only time
to go places. Y'allah, we go now." We talk with the wife and daughters
while the electricity cuts off again and again-they tell me how they just
finished a stint of ! 72 hours straight with no electricity. One of the
daughters tells of how while in school the other day she listened to
rockets flying over her building. "This is a war here, we are living like
animals," she says wearily, "How long can this continue?"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6860&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6860

Coalition of corruption
Jaroslaw Suplacz
Polish politics make private business on the war. The corruption range to
the highest authorities. Polish Prime Minister Marek Belka was earlier the
Chief of International Coordination Commitment in Iraq. As the chief of the
commitment, he supported a choice of Bank Millennium (in which he was a
member of the supervisory board) to the consortium that would menage the
Trade Bank of Iraq. Accidentally, the Prime Minister admitted (in Polish
parliament) that he had known how ! the members of the commission had voted
- nevertheless, he was not a member of the commission...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6866&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6866

Prayers and tears in Falluja
BBC News
...I left my old house in the north of the city a month ago, when the
Americans began bombing that area all the time. Now I live with a small
group of friends near the centre of Falluja. We are just men here. All our
wives and children have left the city - some we sent to Baghdad, others to
quieter areas closer by (...) I can't see how long the supplies will last -
two days ago, the government said it was cutting off the roads from Falluja
to Baghdad and Ramadi. I don't know! what we will eat then (...) There is
only one road out of the city that is still open now - but it runs through
a checkpoint manned by US soldiers. We think they're going to cut this
route off quite soon as well...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6862&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6862

IL MONDO DICE NO ALL'URANIO
Campagna Internazionale contro l'Uranio Impoverito
Associazione PeaceLink
Armi all'uranio "fuorilegge": è questa la richiesta della campagna
internazionale per la messa al bando delle armi all'Uranio Impoverito, che
oggi viene presentata ufficialmente in Italia dall'associazione PeaceLink,
il promotore italiano dell'iniziativa. La campagna viene presentata a
ridosso del 6 novembre, la "Giornata internazionale per la prevenzione
dello sfruttamento dell'ambiente durante le guerre e i! conflitti armati"
[1], dichiarata dall'Assemblea Generale delle Nazioni Unite [2] allo scopo
di richiamare attenzione sull'impatto ambientale delle guerre che
inevitabilmente comporta anche un danno alle popolazioni civili che vivono
nelle zone colpite...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6874&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6874

Mappa dei bombardamenti inglesi a Bassora
Francesco Iannuzzelli, Peacelink
.... l'uranio impoverito usato dall'esercito britannico in Iraq rappresenta
solo una parte minima di quello utilizzato dagli Stati Uniti, che si sono
finora rifiutati di fornire informazioni sulle modalita', quantità e
località nelle quali è stato utilizzato uranio impoverito. Un atteggiamento
a dir poco criminale, per nulla giustificato dal segreto militare, che
oltre a mettere a repentaglio la vita degli stesso militari presenti in
loco ! espone soprattutto la popolazione civile e l'ambiente a un danno
irreparabile...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6865&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6865

Navy uses new bomb first time
GREGORY PIATT, The Times-Union
Jet fighters from the USS John F. Kennedy recently dropped the Navy's
newest smart bomb for the first time during combat operations in Iraq, JFK
officials said in a news release Thursday. An F/A-18 squadron from the
Jacksonville-based Kennedy, deployed in the Persian Gulf, dropped the first
two 500-pound Joint Direct Attack Munitions or JDAMs for the Navy...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6858&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6858

Massacre looms in Fallujah following the US election
James Cogan, WSWS
The reelection of the Bush administration is expected to be followed in
short order by a massive US military push into the Iraqi city of Fallujah.
The attack will be the spearhead of a broader offensive to bring 22
rebellious Iraqi cities and towns—including Fallujah, Ramadi, Samarra,
Baquaba, Kut and the densely populated Shiite suburb of Sadr City in
Baghdad—under US control by the end of the year...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6857&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6857

US pounds Fallujah as residents urged to leave
AFP
The US military pounded the Iraqi city of Fallujah with artillery fire
today as remaining residents were urged to leave amid more signs of an
all-out assault on the rebel city. The sound of explosions reverberated
from the direction of the city as artillery was fired by US troops camped
on the outside starting at about 11pm local time. US war planes had struck
rebel positions inside the city earlier...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6861&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6861

Iraqi and U.S. Government Officials Reject UN Plea to Call Off Attack on
Fallujah
Bloomberg
Iraqi and U.S. government officials rejected a request from United Nations
Secretary-General Kofi Annan to reconsider attacking insurgents in the city
of Fallujah to help ensure successful elections in January. Annan said in a
letter this week to U.S. President George W. Bush, British Prime Minister
Tony Blair and Iraqi interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi a Fallujah attack
would hurt the chances of Sunni Muslim participatio! n in election of a
national assembly, Iraqi Deputy Ambassador Feisal Amin al-Istrabadi said...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6854&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6854

10,000 U.S. troops gather at Fallujah
Rocket attack kills American soldier at assault looms
Associated Press
More than 10,000 U.S. soldiers and Marines have taken positions around
Fallujah for an expected assault, as U.S. jets pummeled insurgent targets
today and troops blocked key roads. Iraq's prime minister warned the
"window is closing" to avert an offensive. Insurgents struck back, killing
one U.S. soldier and wounding five in a rocket attack. Clashes were
reported at other checkpoints around the city an! d in the east and north
of Fallujah late in the day...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6851&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6851

What can the UN do for Iraqis?
Ghali Hassan
The preposterous and despicable decision of the United Nations to endorse
and legitimise the US Occupation of Iraq has proved that the UN is the tool
of Western imperialism. The UN role as an impartial international
arbitrator of world peace remains always in question. According to the
recent UNICEF report, "[b] before 1990 and the imposition of sanctions,
Iraq had one of the highest standards of living in the Middle East". Now
UNICEF reports, "at least 200 children are! dying every day"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6852&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6852

US troops shot injured civilian
Edmund Sanders
... A dispute broke out among soldiers standing over one severely wounded
young man who was moaning in pain. An unwounded Iraqi claiming to be a
relative of the victim pleaded in broken English for soldiers to help him.
To the horror of bystanders, Alban, 29, a boyish-faced sergeant who joined
the army in 1997, fired from an M-231 assault rifle into the wounded man's
body. Then Staff Sergeant Johnny Horne, 30, grabbed a M-16 rifle and also
shot the victim...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6849&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6849

Terror & Democracy
Thomas Wheeler, Beyond the Mainstream
...To get a handle of how devastating the carnage has been, we should
extrapolate those numbers and apply them to the United States. The US has a
population of approximately 290 million. Iraq's population is around 24
million. The US population is more than 12 times that of Iraq. Imagine
visiting the kind of "liberation" and "democracy" the US is currently doing
in Iraq and applying it to the United States of America. Imagine an
invasion and occupation of ! the US that killed between 1.2 and 2.4 million
Americans, most of them women and children, through precision air strikes,
bombings, and large scale assaults on urban and suburban neighborhoods...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6848&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6848

Marines kill woman at Fallujah checkpoint
AP
An Iraqi woman is dead and her husband wounded after U-S Marines opened
fire on a civilian vehicle that didn't stop at a Fallujah checkpoint.
Witnesses say the car didn't notice the checkpoint. Marine officials
released a statement saying vehicles are fired on "only as a last resort."
They say the civilian car didn't heed "verbal and visual warnings to
stop"....

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6847&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6847

Military Sets Up Morgue In Preparation For Fallujah Assault
The Associated Press
The combat hospital on the chief U.S. base near Fallujah has set up a
morgue and doubled medical staff and supplies in preparation for an
expected stream of casualties from an anticipated assault on the rebel
stronghold. "We've had 20 to 30 casualties on a given day here. We expect
maybe double that on a serious day. And we can handle them," Capt. Eric
Lovell, a Navy doctor, said Thursday at the base hospital, a low concrete
building! announced by a sign saying "Cheaters of Death"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6846&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6846

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.
Se questo messaggio non si legge correttamente, scrivi a
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info per
ricevere la versione solo testo.