[uruknet.info - daily information from occupied iraq] newsletter 04 Oct 2004.

uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Iraqis flee Samarra as US closes in
Reuters
...In Samarra, aid organisations said they were concerned about a lack of
water and power and the fate of hundreds of families forced to flee. One
man who said he escaped the city today said a number of civilians had been
killed. The man who gave his name as Abu Qa'qa told reporters in Baghdad he
had seen stray dogs picking at corpses in the street. He said he had seen
several incidents of civilians being killed. "I swear I saw dogs eating the
body of a woman," he sai! d...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6082&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6082

Iraq's Christians seek sanctuary in neighbor nations
Dale Gavlak, Religion News Service
...Fearing lawlessness and rising Islamic fundamentalism in their own
country, large numbers of Iraqi Christians are fleeing to neighboring
Jordan and Syria. No one knows for certain how many of Iraq's 750,000
Christians have left the country since the removal of Saddam Hussein, but
estimates are in the tens of thousands (...) What is irrefutable is the
fear and anxiety among many Christians, who see their future as uncertain!
, at best, in the new Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6081&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6081

Iraqi hospital churns out faceless dead of Samarra battle
AFP
Waving white flags of surrender, relatives of Samarra's dead gathered at
the gates of the main hospital in the restive Iraqi city on Sunday as
volunteers and orderlies carried black body bags out to be buried. The
hospital corridor smelled of decomposing bodies as staff wearing surgical
masks lifted corpses out of the building one after the other, shouting out
names as they reached the front doors...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6080&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6080

Support our troops, bring them home from Iraq. Situation is a quagmire with
no end in sight
George Poague
...But one thing I do know — this war in Iraq is a misguided fiasco that
never should have happened. If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe
retired Col. David Hackworth, an Austin Peay grad and former Screaming
Eagle. In an article for the current issue of Playboy — titled "Why the
Military Never Learns" — Hackworth describes Iraq as "the biggest military
miscalculation this country has ever made." Tha! t means worse than
Vietnam, history buffs...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6073&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6073

What`s Going on in the USA?`
Jude Wanniski
...Given the fact that Saddam Hussein did everything asked of him by the
Security Council in permitting inspections for weapons of mass destruction,
the President's decision to go to war seemed terribly unjust not only to
most of the world, but also to many Americans who believed the UN diplomacy
was working as it was designed to work (...) Whether Americans like it or
not, the United States by this behaviour is viewed as a threat to the
world, not a leader working to ma! ke the world a better, safer, more
prosperous place...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6078&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6078

Iraqi Sunni Muslim clerics blast "massacres" in Samarra
AFP
A grouping of senior Iraqi Sunni Muslim clerics stepped up their criticism
Sunday of the deadly US-Iraqi offensive in Samarra and of US air strikes on
Fallujah calling them "massacres" (...) "My brothers, we are facing a new
massacre in Samarra," Sheikh Mohammed Bashar al-Faidi, spokesman for the
respected Committee of Muslim Scholars, told reporters at Baghdad's Umm
al-Qura mosque. "It is the latest in a series of many criminal ones
perpetrated by the ! greatest terrorist nation on the face of the earth:
the United States," he said...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6079&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6079

Doubt over Zarqawi's role as ringleader
Adrian Blomfield
..."The overwhelming sense from the information we are now getting is that
the number of foreign fighters does not exceed several hundred and is
perhaps as low as 200," one agent said. "From the information we have
gathered, we have to conclude Zarqawi is more myth than man"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6077&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6077

US bombers return to Falluja
Aljazeer.net
Two Iraqi civilians have been killed and 10 injured in a series of
overnight air strikes in Falluja. US warplanes pounded the Iraqi town for a
third time in just over 24 hours in an ongoing push to wrest hotspots from
rebel hands before the January elections. A doctor said Falluja General
Hospital received two bodies and treated 10 people wounded in strikes on
al-Jolan, al-Shuhada, al-Askari and Jubail neighbourhoods in Falluja, 65km
west of Baghdad...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6074&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6074

Insecurity, Occupation Scare Off Iraqi School Students
IslamOnline.net
The start of the new school year in Iraq showed an unprecedented low
turnout, largely blamed by parents on chaotic security conditions grabbling
the country and the occupation forces. "My son is afraid of the US tanks. I
don't know what to do? I see them [US forces] pass by the school nearby our
house," Heba Jaafar, an Iraqi mother, told the London-based Al-Quds Press
news agency. "Sounds of US gunfire and hovering helicopters send waves of
p! anic among our children"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6076&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6076

Militant Cleric Considers Entry Into Iraqi Politics
DEXTER FILKINS, New York Times
The Shiite cleric Moktada al-Sadr has begun laying the groundwork to enter
Iraq's nascent democratic process, telling Iraqi leaders that he is
planning to disband his militia and possibly field candidates for office.
After weeks of watching his militia wither before American military
attacks, Mr. Sadr has sent emissaries to some of Iraq's major political
parties and religious groups to discuss the possibility of involving
himself i! n the campaign for nationwide elections, according to a senior
aide to Mr. Sadr and several Iraqi leaders who have met with him...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6072&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6072

MP Questions Iraqi Woman's Conference Speech
Chris Moncrieff, PA News
The weeping Iraqi woman who begged Labour conference delegates not to vote
to withdraw British troops from the country has "strong connections" with
the CIA, Britain's most senior back bench MP claimed today. Labour's Tam
Dalyell, a persistent critic of the Iraqi war and Father of the House of
Commons asked: "Have we been duped yet again?" In her speech, Shanaz Rashid
appealed to the conference in Brighton: "Please, please, do not desert us
in! our hour of need"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6071&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6071

Iraqi scientist's family seeks her freedom
Ahmed Janabi, Aljazeera.net
Aljazeera.net has interviewed the family of Huda Mahdi Ammash, who was
arrested by US forces on 5 May 2003. She was the only woman in the US
military's list of 55 most wanted Iraqi officials (...)Her husband Ahmed
Makki says his wife is a scientist and an academic and she has done nothing
wrong to warrant imprisonment for nearly 18 months without any charges. "I
want to know why my wife has been detained for 18 months without charge.
How lo! ng will it take them to do so? She is a mother of two children and
grandmother of two. My wife has been sitting in a prison cell for 18 months
without knowing what the charges against her are"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6070&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6070

Who benefited?
Xymphora:
...The ongoing inability of the New York Times to admit that its star
reporter Judith Miller was working hand-in-hand with the Bush White House
to create a basis of lies to fool the American people into an immoral and
illegal war that has turned into a complete disaster for the United States
is not just embarrassing for the Times. It also proves that Miller has
support up to the highest levels of the Times, meaning that this deception
was part of a deliberate plan app! roved by the paper. Who benefited? The
American military-industrial complex and Israeli Likudniks. That's who the
Times lies for...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6069&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6069

Neocon pink slips and the fall of America
Kurt Nimmo, Online Journal Contributing Writer
Here's the unspeakable truth: I lost my job to make Israel safe. Or more
specifically: an obscene amount of tax dollars are flushed down the
Pentagon rat hole every year while billions are slashed from state and
social programs, including education. I worked for a state-funded education
program. I was pink-slipped because there's no money for the program this
year. In short, George Bush fired me. The Bushcon invasion of Iraq ! costs
$177 million per day, $7.4 million per hour, and $122,820 per minute. So
far, the invasion has cost an astounding $134.5 billion. "When you
integrate Iraqi spending, which is necessary, with the effort to control
spending, it puts more pressure on you to make harder choices," said
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) in June. "If you can name one part of
government immune from this, I'd like to know."

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6066&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6066

Bush's biggest lie: Intelligence failure responsible for Iraq war
Daily Kos
George Bush's biggest lie goes something like this: "We invaded Iraq
because bad intelligence led us to believe that Saddam had weapons of mass
destruction that could have been given to terrorists and used in an attack
against the United States." But the truth is that George Bush had his
sights set on Saddam all along. An insider eyewitness, Paul O'Neill, has
publicly testified that Iraq was on the Bush administration's agenda within
day! s of taking office and eight months before 9/11...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6067&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6067

The Iraq War is Illegal
What Really Happened
Below is the Congressional authorization for force that Bush used to launch
the invasion of Iraq. However, if you read Section 3, paragraph B, Bush was
required to prove to the Congress that Iraq was in violation of UN
Resolutions by still being in possession of weapons of mass destruction,
and secondly, that Iraq was behind 9-11. Both claims have since been
disproved and discredited, the product of the Pentagon Office at the heart
of the latest Israeli spy scandal. Th! erefore, under United States law,
the war in Iraq is illegal. And We The People are not under any legal or
moral obligation to pay for it, let alone let our kids be killed in it...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6068&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6068

Was Allawi's Speech a Crime?
Ahmed Amr, www.dissidentvoice.org
I don't know how much a Bush speechwriter gets paid these days - but it
can't be much because they seem to be moonlighting for Allawi. One should
compliment them for their invaluable assistance to George's political
career. During four years in the White House and two presidential
campaigns, they have admirably kept the President 'on message'. It's a
shame that they have to supplement their meager income by exporting their
talents to Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6063&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6063

Uncommon Sense Conspiracy and other Theories
Michael Hasty
...But the great irony in the media's rejection of "conspiracy theory" is
that the metanarrative requires mainstream news consumers to subscribe to a
far less credible "coincidence theory." By this theory, it is nothing more
than "coincidence" that the membership of a neoconservative think tank,
whose ambitions for a global American empire depend on public opinion being
swayed by "a new Pearl Harbor," stole their way into power and occupy key
positions in! the Bush regime (...) In the media's metanarrative, the
incontestable facts that Persian Gulf oil has been central to American
strategic planning since World War II, and that Dick Cheney's secret energy
task force generated maps of Iraq's oil fields in early 2001, have
absolutely nothing to do with the invasion of Iraq. It's just a
serendipitous "coincidence"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6061&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6061

Skewed Intelligence Data in March to War in Iraq
David Barstow, William J. Broad, and Jeff Gerth, The New York Times
...The next month, Mr. Cheney told a group of Wyoming Republicans the
United States had "irrefutable evidence" - thousands of tubes made of
high-strength aluminum, tubes that the Bush administration said were
destined for clandestine Iraqi uranium centrifuges, before some were seized
at the behest of the United States. The tubes quickly became a critical
exhibit in the administration's brief agains! t Iraq. The tubes were "only
really suited for nuclear weapons programs," Condoleezza Rice, the
president's national security adviser, asserted on CNN on Sept. 8, 2002.
"We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud." Before Ms. Rice
made those remarks, though, she was aware that the government's foremost
nuclear experts had concluded that the tubes were most likely not for
nuclear weapons at all, an examination by The New York Times has found...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6059&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6059

Israel spying on Iran, Syria from Iraqi Kurdistan: leading Egypt MP
AFP
Israel has taken advantage of last year's US-led invasion of Iraq to deploy
large numbers of agents in the Kurdish north to spy on neighbouring Iran
and Syria, a leading Egyptian MP charged Saturday. "Israel is present in
force in northern Iraq and is spying on Iran and Syria," the chairman of
the parliamentary foreign affairs committee, Mustafa Feki, told state
television...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=6058&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=6058

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.
Se questo messaggio non si legge correttamente, scrivi a
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info per
ricevere la versione solo testo.