Oppose the FBI's Targeting of the Antiwar Movement

(Initiated by the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition)
Sign On to Defend the First Amendment

Thousands of organizations and individuals will be signing
the following statement in support of the First Amendment
and in opposition to the FBI's targeting of the antiwar
movement. Initial signers include former U.S. Attorney
General Ramsey Clark; historian Howard Zinn; National
Lawyers Guild Executive Director, Heidi Boghosian and
others.

If you would like to SIGN the statement, go to
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/fbi/index.html#sign

We the undersigned stand in defense of the First Amendment
and in opposition to the Bush Administration's expanding
effort to stifle dissent. Confronted with a rising tide of
political opposition from the people of the United States,
who are outraged at the lies used to justify a war and
occupation of Iraq, Bush and Ashcroft are resorting to
crass intimidation tactics against the antiwar movement.

The current campaign of FBI intimidation was revealed in
the frontpage NY Times story of Sunday, November 23 under
the headline: "F.B.I. SCRUTINIZES ANTIWAR RALLIES -
Officials Say Effort Aims at 'Extremist Elements.'" Citing
an internal FBI memorandum circulated ten days prior to
the October 25 demonstrations that drew 100,000 in
Washington D.C. and 20,000 in San Francisco, this well
placed "revelation" of FBI targetting of the antiwar
movement should be seen as a measure of the desperation of
an Administration that is increasingly alarmed that people
of this country are rejecting its illegal and immoral
policies.

As they become isolated on Iraq, Bush and Ashcroft are
borrowing a page from the Nixon and Mitchell tenure during
Vietnam: use the secret police and FBI to disrupt and
intimidate their opponents. Like Nixon they will fail
because the people of the United States will stand
together to reject FBI intimidation. Bush and Ashcroft
seek to stifle dissent by make the exercise of First
Amendment rights synonymous with terrorism but the people
will defend these cherished rights today as they have been
forced too in the past. We will never be silenced!

We publicly affirm the right to express dissent and to
engage in protest free from FBI and government harrassment
and we vow to support the growing efforts of the antiwar
movement to end the illegal and ongoing war and occupation
of Iraq.

-------------------

Email circulated by:
A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition
Act Now to Stop War & End Racism

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.InternationalANSWER.org
info at InternationalANSWER.org
New York 212-633-6646
Washington 202-544-3389
Los Angeles 213-487-2368
San Francisco 415-821-6545

To make a tax-deductible donation, go to
http://www.internationalanswer.org/donate.html

Sign up to receive updates (low volume):
http://www.internationalanswer.org/subscribelist.html

Send replies to answer at action-mail.org