Da: David Grant <BlueFoxNL at yahoo.com>
Data: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 05:41:21 -0800 (PST)
A: NP Discussion <npdiscussion at yahoogroups.com>, "MO-NP at yahoogroups.com"
<mo-np at yahoogroups.com>
Oggetto: [MO-NP] Fwd: "I am allowed to go see the ocean" Rachel Corrie  to
her family

Rachel Corrie, 23, American, a member of Grassroots
International Presence for the Protection of Palestine
(GIPP, a member organization of the Nonviolent Peaceforce)
was killed over the weekend while trying to prevent an
Israeli buldozer from destroying a house in Gaza.
    According to news reports "at least one Palestinian was
also killed" at the time.
    This statement is forwarded by the Gush Shalom(Hebrew:
"Peace Block") from Israel:

> /////////////////
>      Gush Shalom
>      /////////////////////////
>
> International release, March 17, 2003
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "I am allowed to go see the ocean"
> Rachel Corrie wrote to her family
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> [We forward the sad but courageous statement of the
> parents of Rachel
> Corrie, followed by a moving  "letter from Palestine"
> which she sent them
> on Feb. 7, 2003, two weeks after her arrival in the Gaza
> Strip.]

> Date sent:       Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:27:48 +0000 (GMT)
> From:            ism rafah <ismrafah at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject:         Statement from Rachel Corrie's parents
>
> March 16, 2003
>
> "We are now in a period of grieving and still finding out
> the details behind
> the death of Rachel in the Gaza Strip.
> We have raised all our children to appreciate the beauty
> of the global
> community and family and are proud that Rachel was able
> to live her
> convictions.  Rachel was filled with love and a sense of
> duty to her fellow
> man, wherever they lived.  And, she gave her life trying
> to protect those
> that are unable to protect themselves.
> Rachel wrote to us from the Gaza Strip and we would like
> to release to
> the media her experience in her own words at this time.
>
> Thank you.
> Craig and Cindy Corrie, parents of Rachel Corrie
>
> --
> Excerpts from an e-mail from Rachel on February 7, 2003.
>
> I have been in Palestine for two weeks and one hour now,
> and I still have
> very few words to describe what I see.  It is most
> difficult for me to think
> about what's going on here when I sit down to write back
> to the United
> States--something about the virtual portal into luxury.
> I don't know if
> many of the children here have ever existed without
> tank-shell holes in
> their walls and the towers of an occupying army surveying
> them
> constantly from the near horizons.  I think, although I'm
> not entirely sure,
> that even the smallest of these children understand that
> life is not like
> this everywhere.  An eight-year-old was shot and killed
> by an Israeli tank
> two days before I got here, and many of the children
> murmur his name to
> me, ?Ali?--or point at the posters of him on the walls.
> The children also
> love to get me to practice my limited Arabic by asking me
> "Kaif Sharon?"
>  "Kaif Bush?" and they laugh when I say "Bush Majnoon"
> "Sharon
> Majnoon" back in my limited Arabic.  (How is Sharon?  How
> [...]

=====

David Grant / Nonviolent Peaceforce / POB 11309 / Washington DC 20008 / USA
/    (+1) 202-244-0951 / fax: -6396 / www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org
Out of office: 3-4, 9-11 and 16 April
 "A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their
mission can alter the course of history."                 - M.K. Gandhi

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/qkHolB/TM