Fwd: I didn't speak up . . .

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:31:42 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: John Tubbs <jmtubbs at mbay.net>
Subject: I didn't speak up . . .

Thanks to Paul
--------------

First they came for the Muslims, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Muslim. Then they came to detain immigrants indefinitely solely upon the certification of the Attorney General, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an immigrant. Then they came to eavesdrop on suspects consulting with their attorneys, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a suspect. Then they came to prosecute non-citizens before secret military commissions, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a non-citizen. Then they came to enter homes and offices for unannounced "sneak and peek" searches, and I didn't speak up because I had nothing to hide. Then they came to reinstate Cointelpro and resume the infiltration and surveillance of domestic religious and political groups, and I didn't speak up because I had stopped participating in any groups. Then they came for anyone who objected to government policy because it aided the terrorists and gave ammunition to America's enemies, and I didn't speak up because . . . I didn't speak up.
Then they came for me . . . and by that time no one was left to speak up.

--Stephen Rohde, a constitutional lawyer and President of the ACLU of Southern California, who is indebted to the inspiration of Rev. Martin Niemoller (1937)