Pace Infinita a Cuba, terroristi alla Casa Bianca

DECLARATION BY THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF PEOPLE'S POWER
OF THE REPUBLIC OF CUBA - October 4, 2001

Twenty-five years ago Cuba was victim to a premeditated and heinous
crime that shocked the whole nation and remains in the collective
memory of our people.

On October 6, 1976, a Cubana Airline aircraft was the target of a
cowardly act of sabotage that blew it up in mid flight offshore
Barbados. All the passengers and crewmembers on board were killed,
including the young winners of the Central American and Caribbean
Fencing Championship and a group of Guyanese students. The 73
victims are still awaiting justice. The main culprits have never been
sanctioned, thus they have continued to carry on their criminal
careers for more than four decades.

Those who conceived, planned and directed this act of genocide have a
long history of terrorism that began in the 1960's under the auspices
of the CIA. The role they played in the blowing-up of the Cubana
aircraft and the cold-blooded murder of all those on board are well
known by the U.S. government. On June 23, 1989, the Department of
Justice of that country admitted that it possessed information on the
case, which it had kept a secret. Despite his infamous history,
including serious crimes committed on American soil, contrary to the
ruling of the Attorney General's Office and in spite of the
opposition of major U.S. media, one of these terrorists, Orlando
Bosch, has lived in the United States for more than ten years, thanks
to a decision by the then-President George Bush, and there he has
continued to carry out his monstrous trade undisturbed. This man and
his cronies, confident of the complete impunity they enjoy and backed
up by the so-called Cuban-American National Foundation announced, in
a Miami daily paper full page last August 22, that they would
continue to use all means and methods available against Cuba without
ruling out either terrorism or violence.

After his escape from the Venezuelan penitentiary where he was
awaiting trial in the case of the Cubana aircraft, the other
terrorist, Luis Posada Carriles, immediately went to work for the
White House and, under direct orders from Lieut. Col. Oliver North,
he became involved in the U.S. clandestine activities in Central
America and, later he went on to direct various bomb-attacks against
tourist resorts in Cuba and finally planned an assassination attempt
against president Fidel Castro and thousands of Panamanian students
meeting with him, on the occasion of last year's Ibero-American
Summit. He is currently incarcerated in Panama awaiting trial on
minor crimes; however, once again he is confident that his friends
will ensure his freedom and impunity.

When the whole world repudiates the brutal attacks of last September
11, the United Nations adopts condemnatory resolutions and
governments declare their intention to punish all such actions and
avoid them ever being repeated, the National Assembly, alongside the
Cuban people, condemns the attacks and reaffirms its solidarity with
the American people while demanding that the war against terrorism be
genuine, responding to a real desire to eradicate these acts wherever
and however they occur.

Thousands of Cubans have lost their lives or suffered irreparable
damage as a result of acts of vandalism perpetrated against Cuba for
more than 40 years by groups who operated, and continue to operate,
from inside the U.S. territory with the complicity or tolerance of
that country's authorities. Cuba, on the other hand, has never
resorted to such despicable methods nor ever used force against the
bandits that have committed unspeakable atrocities against our people
from foreign territory. We have always pursued a principled policy.
We have defended ourselves without ever violating either the ethics
or the principles of international law. Additionally, we have tried
to make the government in Washington fulfill its obligation to
prevent these terrorist acts, by supplying them with information
obtained through the generous sacrifice of heroic countrymen like
those who now languish in unjust incarceration in Miami.

We have every reason, and the necessary moral strength, to demand
that justice also be done in the case of the crime committed on
October 6, 1976. We strongly demand that the international struggle
against terrorism be sincere, consistent, free from double standards,
free from racism, free from hegemonic arrogance and free from
fraudulent manipulation. This is the only way to completely eradicate
this scourge; the only way to pay a most deserved tribute to all
victims everywhere.

Twenty-five years ago, we were brought closely together like one
large family by the pain and sorrow we felt when the lives of our
brothers and sisters were so ruthlessly cut short. We pledged then
that they would forever stay in our hearts, that they would never be
forgotten; and, here they have been with us, always present in the
sacrifice, the heroism, the dignity and the creative resistance of
their people.

We shall continue to denounce their assassins and demand that they be
punished. We will persevere in our struggle definitely united to
defend our homeland and ensure that a free, independent, just and
fraternal Cuba offers a permanent tribute to them and to all our
martyrs.

National Assembly of People's Power. Havana, October 4, 2001

FROM:

TARGETS - Independent monthly paper on international affairs -
contributes to its ability to inform on issues of war and peace,
social justice and international affairs.
We encourage you to forward our messages to your friends.

Sloterkade 20 - 1058 HE Amsterdam - The Netherlands
Ph. ++ 31 20 615 1122 - Fax: ++ 31 20 615 1120
See our website: www.targets.org

Lista di discussione dell'Assemblea Antimperialista
http://www.TUTTINLOTTA.org - posta at TUTTINLOTTA.org
(ex Coordinamento Nazionale "LA JUGOSLAVIA VIVRA'")