Headline: God wills it? No, God doesn't
Date:     9/25/2001
Byline:

"    WHEN PRESIDENT BUSH used the term ''crusade'' last week, his
spokespeople quickly disavowed it, and with good reason. But far from
being a long-ago history that we can blithely abjure, the Crusades
created a state of consciousness that still shapes the mind of the
West, and if Americans don't know that, many Muslims do. We should take
the president's inadvertent remark as an occasion to think about that."

To read the entire story, click on the link below or cut and paste it
into a Web browser:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/268/oped/God_wills_it_No_God_doesn_t+.shtml