Fw: OAXACA: U.S. Indymedia reporter murdered on barricades

October 27, 2006
Please Distribute Widely

Dear Colleague,

Today, pro-government forces attacked barricades manned by the
Popular Assembly of the Peoples of Oaxaca (APPO). Brad Will, a
documentary filmmaker and reporter for Indymedia in New York, Bolivia
and Brazil, was shot and killed while reporting on the story.

Al Giordano reports on our colleague's death:

"Brad went to Oaxaca in early October to document the story that
Commercial Media simulators like Rebecca Romero of Associated Press
distort instead of report: the story of a people sick and tired of
repression and injustice, who take back the government that
rightfully is theirs. In that context, his assassination is also a
consequence of what happens when independent media must do the work
that Big Media fails to do: to tell the truth. My friend and
colleague since 1996 when we labored together at 88.7 FM Steal This
Radio on New York's Lower East Side, I bumped into him again in
Bolivia in 2004 during a public reception held by the Narco News
School of Authentic Journalism, and again on the Yucatán peninsula
last January where he came to cover the beginnings of the Zapatista
Other Campaign - Brad died to bring the authentic story to the world.

"Brad went to Oaxaca in early October knowing, assuming and sharing
the risks of reporting the story. His final published article, on
October 17, titled 'Death in Oaxaca,' reported the assassination of
Alejandro García Hernández on the barricades set up by the Popular
Assembly of the Peoples of Oaxaca (APPO, in its Spanish initials).

"...Brad Will was known and liked throughout the hemisphere, and in
its media centers from New York to Sao Paulo to Mexico City. Tonight
his body lies in the same Oaxaca morgue he visited and wrote about
last week. He will not go silently into the long night of repression
that the illegitimate governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz, President Vicente
Fox and his illegitimate successor Felipe Calderon have created in
Oaxaca, and, indeed, in so much of Mexico. It was inevitable that
soon an international reporter would join the growing list of the
assassinated under the repressive regimes of Mexico (others had
already been raped and beaten in Atenco, only to be deported from the
country last May). Tonight it was Brad, doing the responsible and
urgent work, video camera in hand, of breaking the Commercial Media
blockade."

Read the complete report at The Narco News Bulletin:

http://www.narconews.com

From somewhere in a country called América,

Dan Feder
Managing Editor