[Disarmo] Fwd: Let's expand peace, not NATO

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: RootsAction Team <info at rootsaction.org>
Date: gio 28 mar 2019, 00:00
Subject: Let's expand peace, not NATO
To: <eliopaxnowar at gmail.com>

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is coming to Washington, DC to mark 70 years since its creation. Our friends at World BEYOND War are throwing a peace festival on April 3 to prepare to unwelcome NATO on April 4th. RSVP.

While Donald Trump once blurted out the obvious -- that NATO is obsolete -- he subsequently professed his commitment to NATO and began pressuring NATO members to buy more weapons. In fact, Trump has evicted Russian diplomats, sanctioned Russian officials, put missiles practically on Russia’s border, sent weapons into Ukraine, lobbied European nations to drop Russian energy deals, left the Iran agreement, torn up the INF Treaty, rejected Russia’s offers on banning weapons in space and banning cyberwar, expanded NATO eastward, added a NATO partner in Colombia, proposed adding Brazil, demanded and successfully moved most NATO members to buy significantly more weapons, splurged on more nukes, bombed Russians in Syria, overseen the largest war rehearsals in Europe in half a century, condemned all proposals for a European military and insisted that Europe stick with NATO. Trump is meeting with the head of NATO on April 2nd at the White House.

Join in a week of activities:

Saturday, March 30 @ 1:00 p.m. Rally at Lafayette Park
Saturday, March 30 @ 7:30 p.m. Songs of Struggle
Sunday, March 31 Concert for Peace and to End War
Sunday, March 31
Anti-NATO Conference
Monday, April 1
Meeting of the International Network “No to War – No to NATO” at the AFSC Office 1822 R St. NW 10:00 to 3:00
Tuesday, April 2 No to NATO – Yes to Peace and Disarmament Counter-Summit
Wednesday, April 3 No to NATO – Yes to Peace FESTIVAL and planning for April 4
Thursday, April 4 No to NATO – Yes to Peace Rally and Protest
Thursday, April 4 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Black Alliance for Peace program

Lodging for the nights of 2nd and 3rd is available.

To participate in preparations on the 3rd for protests on the 4th, REGISTER.

Why NO to NATO? NATO is the largest military alliance in the world with the largest military spending (roughly three-quarters of the world total) and nuclear stockpiles. While claiming to “preserve peace,” NATO has violated international law and bombed Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Serbia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Libya.

Our Message: War is a leading contributor to the growing global refugee and climate crises, the basis for the militarization of the police, a top cause of the erosion of civil liberties, and a catalyst for racism and bigotry. Instead of celebrating NATO’s 70th anniversary, we’re calling for the abolition of NATO, the redirection of resources to human and environmental needs, and the demilitarization of our cultures. We’re celebrating peace this April, in commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech against war on April 4, 1967, as well as his assassination on April 4, 1968.

Join us and the World BEYOND War crew as we converge on Washington, DC to say No to NATO, Yes to Peace.

For questions or more info, contact Greta at greta at worldbeyondwar.org.

-- The RootsAction.org Team

P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.

www.RootsAction.org

Donate button Facebook button Twitter button

Unsubscribe

empowered by Salsa