[Disarmo] Notizie dal fronte - [stopnato] Digest Number 5090

Oggetto: [stopnato] Digest Number 5090
Data: 9 Aug 2014 07:45:03 -0000
Mittente: stopnato at yahoogroups.com

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Kiev: NATO Backs Ukraine In 116-Day War, Against Russia
    From: Rick Rozoff

2. Poland: U.S., NATO Prepare For War In Northeast Europe
    From: Rick Rozoff

3. Kiev Looks for Cannon Fodder
    From: Rick Rozoff

4. George Galloway declares Bradford 'an Israel-free zone'€
    From: Mohammad Basirul Haq Sinha

5. In Tandem: War Over Fourth Ex-Soviet Frozen Conflict Erupts
    From: Rick Rozoff

Messages
1. Kiev: NATO Backs Ukraine In 116-Day War, Against Russia
    Posted by: "Rick Rozoff" rwrozoff at yahoo.com rwrozoff
    Date: Fri Aug 8, 2014 2:13 pm ((PDT))

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_111895.htm

North Atlantic Treaty Organization
August 7, 2014

NATO stands by Ukraine, Secretary General says in Kiev

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuynHta9HL4

NATO stands by Ukraine and is looking to strengthen its partnership with the country at the Alliance’s summit in Wales next month, Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said during a visit to Kiev on Thursday (7 August 2014). “NATO’s support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine is unwavering. Our partnership is long-standing. It’s strong, and in response to Russia’s aggression, NATO is working even more closely with Ukraine to reform its armed forces and defence institutions,” he said.

The Secretary General discussed how to strengthen NATO’s partnership with Ukraine with President Petro Poroshenko. He also met with Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk , Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin and the Speaker of the Parliament, Oleksandr Turchinov.

President Poroshenko presented Mr Fogh Rasmussen with Ukraine’s Order of Liberty, for his personal contribution to the development of NATO-Ukraine relations and support for Ukraine’s sovereignty. “We stand by Ukraine and your struggle to uphold the fundamental principles on which we have built our free societies,” he said in accepting the reward.

As a sign of NATO’s strong support and solidarity, Allies have decided to hold a special meeting with Ukraine at next month’s NATO Summit in Wales which will contribute “to making our partnership even stronger,” the Secretary General said. NATO already advises Ukraine on defence planning and defence reform, and the Alliance is ready to intensify this support. In June, NATO Foreign Ministers also agreed to establish four trust funds to assist Ukraine. These could cover areas such as command and control, logistics, and re-training of retired military personnel.

Speaking at a press conference, the Secretary General said that instead of de-escalating the conflict, Russia continues to destabilize Ukraine and has massed large forces on the Ukrainian border to shield the separatists and to use any pretext to intervene even further.

“So I call on Russia to step back from the brink. Step back from the border. Do not use peacekeeping as an excuse for war-making. I urge Russia to follow the genuine path to peace. To stop its support for separatists. To pull pack its troops from Ukraine's border. And to engage in a sincere dialogue for a peaceful solution,” he said.

Stop NATO website and articles:
http://rickrozoff.wordpress.com

To subscribe for individual e-mails or the daily digest, unsubscribe, and otherwise change subscription status:
stopnato-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Fri Aug 8, 2014 2:14 pm ((PDT))

http://www.usafe.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123420654

U.S. Air Forces in Europe
U.S. Air Forces Africa
August 8, 2014

Crossroads: the miracle of Swieta Lipka
By Staff Sgt. Jarad A. Denton
USAFE-AFAFRICA Public Affairs

[Exceprts]

POWIDZ AIR BASE, Poland...[A]t Powidz Air Base, Airmen from the 86th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron were performing their own miracle. Diligently, they worked to ensure two C-130J Super Hercules aircraft were ready and able to take to the skies during a flying training deployment in the name of Operation Atlantic Resolve. Heralded as the United States' continuing commitment to collective security of NATO allies, the operation allows America to host a broad range of training opportunities with Poland and the neighboring Baltic States.

"We are here supporting this bilateral training mission throughout the region," said 2nd Lt. Su Johnson, 86th AMXS sortie support officer in charge. "Every maintainer here is committed to making sure our planes are ready to go and executable to our mission."

Capable of carrying up to 44,000 pounds, or 64 paratroopers, the Super Hercules' have been performing cargo and personnel drops in partnership with the U.S. Army and NATO. For the first time in her career, Johnson would be travelling with the C-130J crew and witnessing a jump training mission.

stopnato-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Fri Aug 8, 2014 2:14 pm ((PDT))

http://rickrozoff.wordpress.com/2014/08/08/kiev-looks-for-cannon-fodder/

KIEV LOOKS FOR CANNON FODDER
Vladislav Gulevich

Ukrainian government wants to draft more recruits. After serious losses inflicted by the rebels to Ukrainian army in eastern part of the country, Kiev plans to use more young men as cannon fodder: Ukrainian families uneasily expect the third draft of young men in Ukrainian military. The latter two took place in spring. But not only young men will be drafted: Kiev enhanced the age level of mobilized persons up to 60 years.

This intention caused hot debates in Ukrainian parliament. A Congressman Nikolay Levchenko went so far as to criticize the belligerent plans of Ukrainian government and was attacked by his counterparts of nationalistic stance. Beaten and humiliated, Mr Levchenko was dragged out of the assembly and couldn`t get in again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUeG63l_q8).

After the victory of EuroMaidan Ukrainian right extremists get the opportunity to take offices in governmental bodies. It has a sad impact on the working process of such bodies. Mr. Levchenko was not the only Congressman attacked directly in the parliament for his outspoken moral position. Another victim of Ukrainian “freedom of speech” was leader of Communist Party of Ukraine Petr Simonenko who also was beaten for his anti-war declarations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HovqPoF60rU). As Ukrainian Communists take uncompromising anti-war position the government is widely discussing the impending prohibition of Communist Party of Ukraine. So far the Communists were excluded from the parliament by pro-governmental parties.

Kiev sees the Ukrainian anti-war activists as its enemies. They are accused of being “Putin`s agents” and “traitors”. Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) harasses them and it`s enough to express outspoken sympathy towards people of Donbass to be treated as a criminal. Recently SBU agents visited my empty apartment in Kirovograd (Ukraine) where I used to live in with my wife and kid before escaping to Russia. They interrogated my neighbors asking where I am and when I can come back.

It was no surprise for me.To clog undesirable voices and force them to silence is the only tactics of Kiev now.

The idea of waging war against eastern part of the country doesn`t enjoy much support among the citizens. There happened numerous anti-war protests throughout Ukraine. They protesters were mothers and relatives of the died soldiers and would-be recruits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S933F1M7MXQ). The mothers block roads and organize flash mobs demanding from the authorities to pay more attention to their requests (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0rNsBVe04).

It`s worth noting that such protests take place also in West Ukraine – the well known cradle of Ukrainian nationalism and even pro-Nazi movements. In Ivano-Frankovsk the relatives of the would-be recruits rushed into a military registration and enlistment office and burnt the mobilization documents (http://odnarodyna.com.ua/content/zhiteli-prikarpatya-vorvalis-v-voenkomat-i-sozhgli-dokumenty-dlya-mobilizacii-video). At the beginning of EuroMaidan the overwhelming majority of its activists were West Ukrainians. Now the region demonstrates no desire to sacrifice its young men in the sake of Kiev`s ambitions.

Not surprisingly, Western media don`t cover such events. While the mass protests in USA against war in Vietnam in the 1960s are acknowledged as the manifestation of democratic spirit the like protests in Ukraine are ignored. If so then spirit of democracy is ignored and we cannot talk about democracy in Ukraine.

Moreover, the Ukrainian soldiers themselves lament the unbearable conditions they are forced to stay in: lack of ammunitions, lack of water, lack of clothes. Many of the soldiers are not recruits but mobilized fathers torn from their families. Those who ask too many questions are threatened by their commanders. The latter promise them criminal investigation and martial court (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNLT7rK_a1U).

Among Ukrainian refugees in Russia there are a lot of young men fleeing from mobilization. Ukrainian government provided severe measures to prevent would-be recruits from escaping abroad. Now it is very hard to quit Ukraine for those who are 18-35 years old. Ukrainian youth flee to Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. They can`t come back home because they will be detained by Ukrainian police as deserters.

But the children of Ukrainian warlike leaders are not subjected to the draft! At least none of them showed up in the front line. For example, the son of Arsen Avakov, the Minister of Interior Affaires, is having fun in Sweden and Fiji island (http://www.segodnia.ru/news/143643). Such a trip is unimaginable for the overwhelming majority of Ukrainians because of low salaries and poverty they live in.

Earlier Kiev deliberately preferred to draft villagers. If a villager perishes, the resonance is small. If a city-dweller dies his funeral may turn into anti-governmental protests. In some villages the men of age from 20 till 35 years old are a rarity.

The corruption in military registration and enlistment offices is rampant. The fixed rate for a bribery to avoid drafting is up to $500. It`s a solid sum of money for many Ukrainian families but they pay it to avert a disaster. $500 don`t save a recruit from the drafting forever. The bribe just let him stay till next drafting. When he is summoned again he has to pay again.

Medical examination commissions work improperly. The would-be recruits are examined carelessly, some of them are not even asked to take the clothes off. Doctors do a guess-work and often approve the enlisting into the military young men unfit for active service.

But we can`t say there are no volunteers in Ukrainian army. There are although small in number. As a rule they are either victims of unprecedented anti-Russian propaganda or members of ultra-nationalistic organizations.

To find excuses for massive military drafts Kiev invents non-existent Russian “threat” and pumps up his own folk with hatred and racism. The pseudoscientific theories about base blood in Russian veins in comparison with more aristocratic and more race pure blood in Ukrainian veins gets popularity in Ukraine. Racism, neo-Nazism and xenophobic nationalism are tightly intertwined together in Ukraine.

Meanwhile conspicuously unnoticed by Western media was the fact of wounded Ukrainian soldiers in Russian hospitals (in Rostov-on-Don). They were two dozens of border guards retreated to Russian territory under the pressure of the rebels. About 80 of them asked Russia to save their lives. The request was satisfied (http://www.1tv.ru/news/world/261405). Recently 18 Ukrainian soldiers being recovered returned back to Ukraine from Rostov-on-Don. Such deed of Russian authorities doesn`t correspond to the Russophobic picture Kiev feeds the own citizens with.

stopnato-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Messages in this topic (1)
4. George Galloway declares Bradford ‘an Israel-free zoneâ€
Posted by: "Mohammad Basirul Haq Sinha" mohammad_b_haq at yahoo.co.uk mohammad_b_haq
    Date: Fri Aug 8, 2014 2:14 pm ((PDT))

George Galloway declares Bradford ‘an Israel-free zone’ and warns away ‘Israeli tourists’ The Respect Party leader and MP for Bradford West said ‘we don’t want Israeli goods, services… or tourists’
Adam Withnall
Thursday 07 August 2014

  20K
George Galloway claims to have “declared Bradford an Israel-free
zone”, saying that he wants the city to reject all Israeli goods,
services, academics – and even tourists.

Reportedly speaking at a meeting of the Respect Party in Leeds at the weekend, Mr Galloway urged the people of that city “to do the same”.
The MP for Bradford West’s comments were captured on video and posted to
YouTube, and have since been met with an angry backlash on Twitter.
According to the footage, which was posted on theGuido Fawkes blog, Mr Galloway told activists: “We have declared Bradford an Israel-free zone.”
He said: “We don’t want any Israeli goods. We don’t want any Israeli
services. We don’t want any Israeli academics, coming to the university
or the college.
“We don’t even want any Israeli tourists to come to Bradford, if any of them had thought of doing so. “We reject this illegal, barbarous, savage state that calls itself Israel. And you have to do the same.” On Twitter, user Paul Scott said Mr Galloway was “channeling Hitler here”. Another said he had “lost the plot”, and many joked that Israelis were
unlikely to be “rushing to change their holiday plans”.
It is by no means the first time Mr Galloway has caused controversy with comments on Israel. In October last year he was accused of “racism” after walking out of an Oxford University debate saying: “I don’t debate with Israelis.”
A spokesperson for Mr Galloway was not immediately available to comment.

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:12 pm ((PDT))

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/181419/

PanArmenian.net
August 8, 2014

Deputy Defense Minister says int’l community must stop Azerbaijan

Armenian Deputy Defense Minister Davit Tonoyan, who currently leads a delegation to the United States, said Armenia is capable to counteract any threat from Azerbaijan.

Asked whether Azerbaijan will launch air or land attacks in case of resumption of hostilities in the Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone, Tonoyan said, “Azerbaijan will employ all possible tools, while Armenia will take retaliatory measures.”

As to the forthcoming presidential meeting in Sochi, initiated by Russian leader Vladimir Putin, the deputy minister said it can result in adoption of a new statement which is unlikely to stop Azerbaijan from provocative acts.

“The international community must find the leverage to put an end to the Azeri aggression. Otherwise, the region might face bloody consequences,” he said, according to Armenia Today.

Commenting on the possibility of the deployment of Russian peacekeepers, Tonoyan said the matter wasn’t ever discussed. “The Armenian armed forces perform their duty properly and we do not consider presence of a third force, either Russia or any other country,” he said, adding that stationing of peacekeeping forces is legally possible only after the signing of a peace treaty.

“Armenia will continue keeping the military balance in the region and possesses the essential weaponry to restrain Azerbaijan. We will continue doing so unless we put our neighbor in the right way,” he said.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/181392/

PanArmenian.net
August 8, 2014

Armenian soldier wounded in contact line skirmish

Nagorno Karabakh defense army soldier was wounded in a skirmish that took place at the line of contact between the NKR and Azerbaijani armed forces, which were reported to suffer human losses.

Viktor Abrahamov, 19, received a bullet wound. His health state is rated as grave.

The Azerbaijani armed forces continued violating the ceasefire overnight, firing from various caliber weapons at the Armenian positions along the border.

According to the Armenian Defense Ministry, 56 ceasefire violations were registered on August 5-6, with 7175 shots fired in the direction of Armenian positions. The Armenian side replied 28 times, firing 5025 shots.

From Aug 6 to Aug 7 morning, 39 ceasefire violations by the Azeri armed forces were fixed, with 546 shots fired. The Armenian side replied 8 times, firing 232 shots.

stopnato-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Messages in this topic (1)

<*> Your email settings: