RE: Earth Network Web Portal-

 All

While I agree with many of the points that Dr. Anthony Ceresa has put before
us, I would like to caution the community on a few points. First, very
little science and/or discovery is truly revolutionary. Most is built upon
prior knowledge that has been made available through mechanisms such as peer
reviewed publication and public discourse.
Many discoveries that are considered to be revolutionary took several tens
of years to be accepted and incorporated into the process described above.
Some were not provided the luxury of the test of time and have indeed
resulted in dire consequences.
The first person that suggested that the earth was not the center of the
universe was essentially martyred for doing so. Newton was a very religious
man and spent a great deal of his life trying to disprove his own theories
as they went against his beliefs. Schrödinger and Einstein are still
understood by about 0.1% of the world's population. They also carried on a
lengthy series of metaphysical debates about what exactly their theories
meant and would ultimately be used for. The idea that by observing a system
you interact with and define that system again puts the observer in the
position of the creator. Both men died very unhappy with the use of what
they had created.
Yet the system of discovery, development and implementation roles on.
Discovery is a key element as it is what all the rest of the process is
built upon. It is the use of the discovery that needs to be examined for
its environmental and sociopolitical ramifications.
Nobel did not originate his prize based upon anything "Atomic". He invented
TNT. The invention was intended to be used to aid in the extraction of
natural resources such as minerals from mines. Prior to his invention one
would start a fire in a mine (confined space) heat the rock and then poor
cold water onto it to fracture the face. This was dangerous, slow, labor
intensive and kept the standard of living for those that could not afford
the resources at a very low level. Unfortunately for Nobel someone got the
bright idea that you could use this in war. Nobel founded his prize out of
guilt and to encourage the responsible use of technologies to benefit rather
than harm humanity.
Now to my point... Many very beneficial technologies are indeed developed
for what one may consider to be the wrong reason. Many scientists and
engineers tend to be rather myopic in their specific subject of interest.
That is why they chose to specialize in it. This web-portal should be
viewed as a mechanism to get information out to people who may be able to
further utilize it. Hopefully for the good of the world and its peoples.

One last, and very contentious point. The discovery of nuclear energy is
not, in itself a bad thing. Nuclear energy powers the universe. It is not
a man-made source. Once again, someone decided that it could be used as a
weapon. So might your gravity engine...
Anyway, the proliferation of nuclear weapons post WWII got out of control.
The waste created during this time is and will continue to be a problem.
However Pandoras box has been opened. Nuclear weapons are here to stay.
The question again is how do they get "used". As a deterrent to major world
wide conflict and loss of life due to war they have proven their worth over
the last 50 some odd years. At what cost?.... to be continued... A
majority of the people working on the weapons are in actuality improving the
situation. How so you ask?

At first, the race was to make the weapons more powerful, more desrtructive,
bigger range more collateral damage. Lets face it if the missile you are
flying these things on is only accurate to within one mile, you have to have
a two mile blast radius to make sure you take out the target. Answer;
Improve accuracy and decrease yield and limit collateral damage.

The second point is reliability. Getting a thermonuclear device to actually
work is non trivial. It would surprise most of you to k now that many do
not work. This means that again, to assure the destruction of a given
target you would have to fire multiple missiles to assure that one would
actually function properly. The answer; improve reliability and stockpile
numbers go down.

The last point is the whole Idea of a stockpile. TO maintain an effective
deterrent you need to have the weapons ready to go. The Russians used the
approach that they would manufacture weapons at a very rapid rate and
replace older models sitting in the stockpile. This is one of the reasons
that Nuclear waste is such an issue in the former Soviet Union. We did much
the same for a while until Reaganomics kicked in and the president decided
he wanted to put the USSR out of business. Stockpile Stewardship is bassed
upon assuring that the weapons are still functional while maintaining a very
very long shelf life. How many companies do you know of that try to create
a product that they hope will simply sit on a shelf for 25-40 years and
NEVER EVER EVER get used. This is a difficult process but it has allowed
the US to decrease production to near zero and virtually eliminate the
requisite production of waste from these types of operations.

This shifted the emphasis in the US to the "cleanup" of old production
sites. Now, while I agree that this is a problem that will extend well into
the future, at least we have started.

Now, Here is the problem with all this "good stuff". In the "knights and
shining armor" period of history, the knights themselves were virtually
invincible. They rode on huge mean horses covered in impenetrable armor and
killed the other guys peasants. War was easy for the kings barons princes
and dukes because they themselves only rarely got hurt. Then they would all
make piece and drink beer and tell each other "war stories".
Finally some clever chap invented the winding crossbow. A weapon anyone
could make, use, and effectively kill the armored knights. The knights
protested to the Pope and he banned the weapons use. Yeah like that’s gonna
work.... Again Pandoras box was opened and WAR became the bloody, ugly
expensive thing it is meant to be.

To deter War we need to keep it ugly. If we get too good at it... it will
become easier to wage.

Dr. Craig M.V. Taylor.