Corr.: Weekly anb03017.txt #7

WEEKLY NEWS ISSUE of: 01-03-2001  PART #7/7

* Western Sahara. Forgotten conflict turns 25 - For 25 years, international
efforts have been made to resolve the dispute over Western Sahara. Morocco
controls most of the territory and lays claim to it, but supporters of the
pro- independence movement, the Polisario Front, have not given up their
campaign. 25 years ago, the Polisario Front set up a government-in-exile
and vowed to continue its guerrilla war. The fighting with Morocco stopped
in 1991, but the dispute over Western Sahara lingers on. (ANB-BIA,
Brussels, 27 February 2001)

* Western Sahara. Sahara refugees' long wait - At first light, the only
sound echoing across the Sahawari refugee camps in Algeria is the fierce
desert wind gusting against the canvas tents. The horizon vanishes in a
haze of sand. The ubiquitous black, white, green and red flags of the
Sahawari Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) flutter from their masts. This is
one of the harshest and most inhospitable environments on Earth, yet more
than 150,000 people have had to live here for the past 25 years, while
dreaming of independence for their homeland, the disputed territory of
Western Sahara. Metou Mustafa is a symbol of the struggle. She was born in
the refugee camps 25 years ago and has known no other life. "I have never
seen my country. I listen to people describing it as a beautiful place full
of rich customs, but I have been deprived of this," Metou says. "Living
here in the Algerian desert has become routine, but it is also very hard.
What keeps us going day after day and year after year, is the hope of
eventually returning to Western Sahara." The refugees are almost entirely
dependent upon aid for their survival. Food is imported and the four huge
camps near Tindouf do not even have adequate local water supplies. Tankers
ferry water continually. The mud-brick homes that have been built convey an
air of permanence, but even after 25 years, some refugees still live in
tents. "The tents are maintained to give our people the sense that we are
not going to be here forever," explains Brahim Moktar, a Polisario
spokesman. Visitors to the Sahawari refugee camps are overwhelmed by the
conditions. In summer, temperatures are said to reach 50º C. (BBC News, 1
March 2001)

* Zambia. Bus painting provokes anger - The public transport services in
Zambia have reluctantly started painting their bus and taxi fleet blue and
white, after being ordered to do so by the Zambian Transport Minister. The
bus painting exercise is fondly being called "Luo Blue" in reference to
Transport Minister Nkandu Luo, who has pledged to "improve sanity in the
industry". The United Transport and Taxis Association (UTTA) said the bus
painting exercise was underway, but most UTTA members still insist that
though they had complied with the government bus painting law, it was
passed without consulting them.They said that government's imposition of
the law amounted to the worst form of dictatorship. Mr Bwalya Chupa, a UTTA
member said that the law which was intended to bring "sanity" to the
transport system would only be a waste of resources. "I cannot understand
why the government could dictate to us that we paint buses which we bought
using our own money," said a visibly annoyed Mr Chupa. And he added: "If
they think it is good to have a uniform colour, why don't they paint all
the government vehicles in blue and white so that they lead by example."
The taxi owners and bus drivers are also worried that the value of their
vehicles will depreciate. The UTTA said that such dictatorial behaviour by
the government could cost them a lot of votes in this year's presidential
and general elections. Some commuters also said that while the bus painting
exercise made the buses look the same, they would have much preferred it if
the busses had been repaired before being smeared with a coat of paint.
(BBC News, 23 February 2001)

* Zimbabwe. Human rights concerns - 20 February: A senior Zimbabwean
Foreign Affairs Ministry official says the Zimbabwean authorities have
assured South Africa that the expulsion of two foreign journalists is not a
breach of press freedom. 22 February: During the week of 26 February,
Parliament will discuss the bombing of The Daily News, attacks on
journalists and the need for the government to free the airwaves before the
presidential election. 23 February: European Union member states will seek
a formal political "dialogue" over human rights with Zimbabwe, in a first
mark of disapproval for the Harare government's expulsion of foreign
journalists and its disregard for the country's judiciary. Zimbabwe will be
discussed by foreign ministers informally over lunch during the 26 February
meeting of the EU's general affairs council in Brussels, a procedure that
precludes formal decisions. But according to Brussels-based diplomats,
there is already agreement to use article eight of the Cotonou agreement
governing the EU's relations with its partners in the African, Pacific and
Caribbean regions as a warning to Zimbabwe. Article eight provides for a
dialogue between the two sides over issues of concern to the EU, including
human rights. Robin Cook, the UK foreign secretary, who has put Zimbabwe on
the lunchtime menu, is also expected to suggest moving to tougher action
under article 96, which would allow the EU to suspend aid, if the Zimbabwe
government does not respond to the EU's request for talks. Diplomats
acknowledge that article eight is a weak instrument to show the EU's
distaste for President Robert Mugabe's government. Zimbabwe cannot be
compelled to take part in the talks, and the discussions, if they take
place, would be confidential. But article eight also contains a three-month
deadline for completion of the dialogue after which pressure for sanctions
could grow. However, EU aid to Zimbabwe is running at only about E10m
($9.2m) a year and is focused on health projects, such as combating HIV,
and finances no infrastructure development. 25 February: South Africa's
President Mbeki says he will meet with President Mugabe to discuss recent
attacks on Zimbabwe's judiciary and Press, which he calls "matters of
serious concern". President Mbeki says: "We have agreed with President
Mugabe that we need to get together quite quickly to have a look at all
these issues". 27 February: The Government has ordered Chief Justice Gubbay
to leave his job on 1 March, several months before he had reportedly agreed
to do so anyway under heavy pressure. 28 February: The Chief Justice
rejects the Government's ultimatum to give up his job and move out of his
official residence. 1 March: The Chief Justice defies government orders to
stand down and arrives for work as usual. (ANB-BIA, Brussels, 1 March 2001)

Weekly - anb0301.txt - End of #7/7

THE END

Un homme meurt chaque fois que l'un d'entre nous se tait devant la tyrannie
(W. Soyinka, Prix Nobel litterature)
                      --------
Everytime somebody keep silent when faced with tyranny, someone else dies
(Wole Syinka, Nobel Prize for Literature) *
AFRICAN NEWS BULLETIN - BULLETIN D'INFORMATION AFRICAINE
A fornigtly publication of African news and information
Bi-mensuel d'information et actualite africaine

Trouvez-vous nos "WEEKLY NEWS" interessantes et utiles? Mais peut-etre vous
ne connaissez pas notre publication
BULLETIN D'INFORMATION AFRICAINE / AFRICAN NEWS BULLETIN?
Il s'agit d'UN INSTRUMENT INDISPENSABLE pour mieux comprendre et mieux
connaitre l'actualite africaine. - Pour recevoir une copie gratuite et plus
de renseignements pour un abonnement envoyez-nous un simple E-mail avec
votre requete et votre adresse postale.

Greetings from: ANB-BIA, Av. Charles Woeste 184,B-1090, Brussel, Belgium
Ph.: 32-2 420.34.36-Fax: 32-2 420.05.49 - <anb-bia@village.uunet.be>
WWW:  http://www.peacelink.it/anb-bia/anb-bia.html