New Year Peace Message of the Religious Leaders of Acholi

ANB-BIA Brussels 30/12/2000

Many thanks to MISNA's SERVICES

Paolo
--------------------------------------

A New Year Peace Message
of the Religious Leaders of Acholi

HAVE HOPE FOR PEACE!

Dear people of God, our brothers and sisters:

Praise be to our merciful God, who is always with us in our trials. We
greet all of you, who have just celebrated the religious feasts of
Christmas and Idd El-Fitr.

With this religious spirit, we meditate on our lives in the present
circumstances and realise that there are moments in which we feel that we
are "passing through deep waters... passing through fire and hard trials"
(Isaiah 43:2). These are times in which in the midst of deep anguish our
faith makes us hear God's voice telling us again and again, "Do not be
afraid, I am with you!"(Isaiah 43:5). This is very much our case, in
Acholi, at the end of the year 2000. We all remember that in 1999 we
enjoyed a long period of relative peace and expectations were high, after
Uganda and Sudan signed a peace agreement, the Khartoum government
announced that our children in captivity were going to be released, and
Parliament passed the Amnesty Law. Peace seemed to be at hand, at last; but
hopes vanished quickly after a new incursion of rebels shortly before
Christmas and it became evident that some promises were not fulfilled. Ever
since we have been living once again in fear and misery and we have had to
realise that it takes more than a piece of paper to attain real peace.

The last few months have been particularly trying for all of us. We
remember the tragic death of our courageous and beloved Fr. Raphael Di Bari
in his mission of Pajule, the attack on Gulu on the night of the 9th
October, which left sixteen people killed, and the many ambushes, killings
and abductions which have been going on. Many of our people continue to
live in the misery of the displaced camps and despite some commendable
local and international efforts we don't see any concrete signs indicating
that the end of the war is near. The situation has been aggravated by the
Ebola epidemic, which has claimed the lives of many of our people.

In these sad circumstances, the words of Jesus "Come to me all you who are
overburdened and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28) seem to have been
said particularly for our people, who are very much in need of real hope
for peace. As religious leaders we are writing to you to give you this
hope, since a true believer can never be pessimistic, no matter how much
suffering we see around us! It is therefore considering our life as God's
children that we would like to point at some aspects of our situation in
order to propose some ways out.

1.	We denounce the scandal of those making big profits out of this war. It
is with a very heavy heart that we see how this continuous insecurity has
become an easy way of life for some unscrupulous individuals who are making
fortunes out of innocent people who have been robbed or killed. As pastors,
we have to raise our voices, since we seem to be living in a situation
similar to the time of the prophet Micah, who cried out against those who
"build Zion on a foundation of blood, Jerusalem with crime" (Micah 3:10).
The Moslem Scriptures, too, teach us: "Remember when you took your
covenant: Shed not the blood of your people" (Verse 84 Baqarah). We call on
these profiteers to repent of their grave sin and make serious amendment
and reparation, and we call on all people of good will to play a role in
changing the hearts of those who, in different ways, are benefiting from
the suffering of our innocent people.

2.	We shall never tire of proclaiming that conversion and forgiveness is
the only way out of this war. "The recompense for an evil is an evil, but
whoever forgives and makes reconciliation his reward is with God" Sura 40).
When the Amnesty Law was passed we were very happy and announced
immediately that we were ready to give our full co-operation. One year
later we have to commend our people for generally keeping their spirit of
forgiveness, and at the same time we have to make an appeal our rebel
brothers and sisters: Violence is never the solution to any conflict or
problem, you should stop fighting and accept to be reintegrated into a
normal life. Do not respond to people's willingness to forgive with further
aggressions, but repent for your sins and change your lives, for God "does
not want the death of a sinner, but his conversion so that he may live"
(Ezekiel 18:23). We call on you once again to report to any religious
leader in any locality easily accessible to you, or to pass to us any
serious message you may have for a peaceful resolution of this armed
rebellion. We appeal also to the Government of Uganda to speed up the
Amnesty process by urgently facilitating the Amnesty Commission on the
ground and to put in place the Demobilisation and Resettlement team.

3.	People have suffered enough in the displaced camps and they should be
helped to go back to their homes. About half of our population still lives
in these miserable settlements which were started four years ago and that
hardly match their official name of "protected villages", since people have
often been killed or abducted in attacks on these camps. The ugly picture
of thousands of people in danger of losing their good cultural values,
their moral fibre and their family life makes us wonder if there cannot be
more humane ways of protecting people in their homes, while making use of
their God-given land. There should be no more delay in dismantling the
camps and enabling people to return to their homes.

4.	Let us show special care to our children, who have become the main
victims of this war. Children are the joy of our homes and our future. When
children are brutally victimised the joys and hopes of our families are
being destroyed. Efforts made at international level seem to be making
little headway, and the sad fact remains that thousands of children are
still in captivity, mainly in Sudan. Once again, we appeal to the LRA to
release all of them quickly and unconditionally, and we appeal to the
international community to intervene to ensure the return of all our
children from Sudan. At the same time, we want to express our concern about
returned abducted children who have been held in military installations for
months, adding to their trauma and to the suffering of their parents. We
hope there will be no more cases of this kind. Children who have gone
through the painful experience of abduction and have escaped or been
rescued must not be allowed to join the Local Defence Units. Those who are
under age in these units should be demobilised at once. In this connection,
we have a special word of encouragement to school teachers: Your role in
rehabilitating children who have become victims of violence is extremely
important, as well as in educating the younger generations in the value of
peace. Do not get tired of doing this.

5.	The poverty of our people cries out to heaven. Ordinary people have to
bear a lot of violence and at the same time are victims of a sinful
economic system that pays them less for the fruit of their hard work and
charges more for essential commodities. Transport has become very costly
and travelling extremely risky. How can people living in these
circumstances support their children in school and look forward to a better
future? Despite many promises of development and rehabilitation, we still
remain the poorest part of Uganda, though our people are hardworking and
development-minded. In this respect, we would like to advise our farmers to
come together in associations to sell their produce at a fair price, so as
to avoid exploitation by unscrupulous businessmen. In the midst of this
painful picture we cannot but express our deep gratitude to some groups who
are sincerely dedicated to improving the life conditions of our people. We
very much appreciate various efforts put in place by NGOs, religious
bodies, Government programmes and the international community groups who
are sincerely dedicated to improving the living conditions of our people.

6.	Let our country be a true promoter of peace. Looking at a wider picture
of the situation, we realise that much of the Great Lakes Region and the
Horn of Africa has for some years now been turning into a huge battlefield
in which thousands of people are dying for the sake of international
economic interests. Our situation in Northern Uganda is part of this
complex situation. As believers in God, we cannot stop proclaiming that
ours is a God of life, who wants His children to live in peace. It is in
this respect that we want to state clearly that:

- We add our voices to what has been said many times before by different
bodies in this country and internationally that Uganda should withdraw all
UPDF troops from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

- As far as some domestic conflicts are concerned, we state that we cannot
support the distribution of guns to civilians for their self-defence as a
means to solve problems with neighbouring communities. In this respect we
are happy to tell you that ARLPI has been involved for several months now
in trying to solve the conflict with our Karimojong (Jie) neighbours by
peaceful means, offering our mediation. We ask you to support us with your
prayers so that this dry season may not be like the last one, in which more
than eighty people were killed in Kitgum district.

7.	Ebola has hit us deeply, but we can learn from this experience. The
outbreak of the Ebola epidemic in October left us wondering why we should
still have to bear this terrible extra burden. In such circumstances we
have to draw strength from our faith in God. Far from falling into despair,
we want to tell you that there are at least two important lessons that we
have been able to learn from this new plague:

- In the first place, it is amazing and most commendable the way people
united in their response against Ebola. Even though we are not yet
completely out of it, if we continue with this spirit we shall definitely
overcome it. Why can't we respond in the same way to the "virus" of brutal
violence which has survived in Acholiland for more than fourteen years now:
all united and determined in a group effort, tirelessly, against war and
for peace.

- Secondly, we have to draw a deep lesson from our twelve medical personnel
who perished in the course of their dedication to the sick. We have to
remember in a very special way our dear Dr. Matthew Lukwiya, medical
superintendent of Lacor Hospital, who gave his life for the poorest of our
people. His death, like the one of Christ, was in order to give life, and
made us remember that in the saddest of circumstances God always brings
forth people who show us the way to follow. We are still going through
difficult times of violence, but there is a way out and we can have hope in
peace, because our God is a caring God.

Conclusion

Our final appeal goes to our leaders. Be united among yourselves in giving
this real hope for peace to the people you are meant to serve, and use a
language of conciliation and appeal, according to the spirit of the
Amnesty. Also to the LRA: once again we call on you to co-operate with the
people and join us in overcoming this violence once and for all. Trust the
good will of the local population, who are ready to forgive the evil of the
past and accept you back.

We greet you warmly in the name of God and assure you of our solidarity
with all of you.

Gulu, 30th December, 2000

______________________________________
Bishop Nelson Onono-Onweng. Northern Uganda Diocese, Church of Uganda.

Archbishop John Baptist Odama, Catholic Archdiocese of Gulu.

Sheikh Musa Khalil, District Khadi Moslem Community Gulu

Bishop McLeord Baker Ochola II. Kitgum Diocese, Church of Uganda

Mgr. Matthew Ojara, Episcopal Vicar Catholic Church Kitgum Vicariate.

Sheikh Dehiya Shafi,, Kitgum District Khadi, Moslem Community.