CathBishConfNigeria Communique

ANB-BIA - Av. Charles Woeste 184 - 1090 Bruxelles - Belg
TEL **.32.2/420 34 36 fax /420 05 49 E-Mail: anb-bia at village.uunet.be
WEEKLY NEWS - SPECIAL ISSUE of: 24-12-2000

Here below is a COMMUNIQUE issued at the end of the First Plenary Meeting of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) for the Year 2002.
Maybe you are interested in it.
Greeting
Paolo
anb-bia
============================

A COMMUNIQUE

Issued at the end of the First Plenary Meeting of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) for the Year 2002, held at the Pope John Paul II Catholic Centre, Abuja, from 18th to 22nd February 2002

HEALING THE WOUNDS OF THE NATION

1.	PREAMBLE

We, the members of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, held our First Plenary Meeting for the year 2002 at the Pope John Paul II Catholic Centre, Abuja, from the 18th to 22nd February, 2002. The theme of our Conference was Healing the Wounds of the Nation. After prayerful deliberation on matters affecting the Church and society in our nation, we issue the following communiqué.

2.	OUR BLESSINGS

God has been kind to our nation. He has blessed us with wonderful climate and abundant natural and human resources. He has blessed our nation with wonderful people, resilient, hard-working, and joyful. Our people are deeply religious and God-fearing. Our ethnic and cultural diversity is a blessing yet to be fully realized. The hunger of our people for true democracy has never been stronger, as was demonstrated recently in the opposition to the unfair and unjust provisions of the electoral law. The Human Rights Violation Investigation Commission (Oputa Panel), the first such body in the history of Nigeria, has increased the demand for accountability of public officials past and present. Our role and responsibility among the nations of Africa have been recognized, and our image among the nations of the world has improved. We have seen generous and selfless responses from our citizens to the various national emergencies and crises. In addition, there has been noticeable progress in infrastructural development and provision of social services. This can be seen in the improvement of roads, in more constant supply of fuel, the granting of radio and television licenses to private owners, and the return of schools to the Church in some states.

3.	OUR WOUNDS

These and other blessings do not, however, prevent us from taking a hard look at the many wounds - mostly of our own making - that fester in us and in our nation. These wounds are glaring, and we call attention to some of them under the following categories: physical, psychological/emotional, socio-political, economic, and spiritual/moral.

Physical:
Many Nigerians are literally nursing physical wounds as a result of inter-communal and religious conflicts, bomb explosions in Lagos, armed robbery, outbreaks of fire, and road accidents. The AIDS pandemic decimates the Nigerian population and brings untold pain and sorrow to individuals and families. Some, indeed thousands, are no longer nursing wounds: they have died and are buried. May the Lord grant them eternal rest. We share in the agony of those who have suffered, and continue to extend a hand to those who are most in need of help. Our fertile land and environment are being severely wounded. Rivers and streams are polluted, fish die, forests are despoiled, desertification spreads south. Refuse litters our streets because waste disposal services are practically non-existent. Oil spills and gas flares pollute and poison the environment in the Delta Region.

Psychological/emotional:
A pervasive sense of insecurity breeds fear that leads to violent reactions in place of dialogue and reconciliation. The value of human life has been eroded and violence is often seen as the solution to problems. For the majority of our people, unmet needs, broken promises, unfulfilled expectations, and frustration with the democratic process becloud the horizon. In this atmosphere, lack of trust and mutual suspicion increase the credence given to rumours and the polarization of ethnic and religious groups.

Socio-political:
Religion and ethnicity have been used and abused to achieve selfish, political ends. The Sharia problems has led in many cases to political, social, and personal violence. There is not only the temptation, but the reality of leaders, sometimes with the cooperation of the media, telling bare-faced lies to the people. The very identity and full citizenship rights of the Nigerian are denied when there is discrimination based upon state of origin, notwithstanding long domicile in a particular state. Vicious infighting within political parties has led to struggles for power that sometimes result in assassination. Those in power seem to be prepared to do everything imaginable to hold on to power till death. The situation is worsened by the recruitment and maintenance of private armies, even by some political office holders.

Economic:
Corruption and the mismanagement of resources affect everyone in one way or another, but the poor and weak pay the highest price. We continue to embark on prestigious projects which make no sense and indeed bring more poverty to the slum dwellers and the forgotten people in the villages. Youths are wounded by the reality of massive unemployment and under-employment. Many workers, including even the Police, rightfully complain of inadequate salaries, and salaries not paid on time. The gap between the very poor and the very rich continues to widen, and the middle class seems to be rapidly wiped out.

Moral/spiritual:
Materialistic and worldly religion, preaching prosperity and promising healing and miracles, devoid of sacrifice and the cross, damages and even replaces authentic religion. Some religious leaders control the minds of their adherents, who are often ignorant and needy, exploiting them for selfish advantage. The "God" preached by some religious leaders seems not to be the God of justice and love, but an intolerant "God" who fosters hatred and division.

4.	THE  ROOT CAUSE OF OUR WOUNDS

Our seemingly incurable wounds are symptoms of a deeper and more chronic sickness, namely sin. This is manifested in our lack of love, lack of concern, and selfishness at individual and group levels. The pervasive presence of greed, selfishness, corruption, the culture of impunity, the politics of power rather than development, all contribute to a nation of wounded people. These vices prevent us from putting in place structures that heal and unify. While some have more responsibility than others for our wounds, no one is totally without blame. "If we say we are free from the guilt of sin, we deceive ourselves" (1 Jn. 1:8).

5.	ACTION  TO BE TAKEN

All of us Nigerians need first to admit that all is not well. Government at all levels should resist the temptation to tell lies to the people. One cannot deceive all the people all the time. The process of healing of wounds involves both short-term alleviation of pain, and long-term preventive steps. The process of healing receives its power and inspiration from God and then calls forth action and commitment on our part.

On the Part of Government

· We renew our call for a national conference that will examine the sources of conflict and propose measures to heal the divisions. To say "no" to dialogue is to say "yes" to violence. · We call upon government to put in place qualitative and functional education at all levels, which should include sound moral and religious instruction. In this connection, we renew our demand for the return of schools to their legitimate owners. · We re affirm the secular nature of the Nigerian State as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. · Government should initiate a frank discussion on the issue of Sharia rather than continue to wish and hope that it will disappear.
·	We request that the report of the Oputa Panel be made public.
· Government should intensify efforts at creating job opportunities for the unemployed. · Government should not only allow but foster the creation of more political parties so that more options are available to the public. · Insecurity in the land is not solved by the proliferation of dubious vigilante groups. There is no civilized alternative to a well-trained, well-equipped, and well-paid Police Force. · We call upon government to conduct its business in the open, and not as if it were a secret cult. People have the right to full knowledge of what programmes and plans are discussed in the halls of government. · The war against corruption has so far proved ineffectual, partly because many of the principal actors in government are themselves not free from corruption. Good intentions are not enough. An independent body should be given full power and authority to wage an effective war against corruption at all levels of government and business.

On the Part of the Church

· The Church as family of God not only suffers wounds in its body, but sometimes its members cause wounds to one another and to the larger society. And so in the spirit of Lent, we affirm the need for personal conversion. · We urge all Christians to that conversion of hearts, minds, and attitudes to the way of Jesus, to the gospel values that he lived and died for. Without interior renewal and conversion, nothing can be achieved. · We call on all Nigerians to shun violence and imbibe a culture of dialogue and non-violence. · We reaffirm the indispensable role of the Justice, Development, and Peace Commissions/Committees (JDPC) at the parish, diocesan, provincial and national levels. These Commissions/Committees are not simply another group or society in the Church but are to oversee and take leadership responsibility in the struggle to heal the wounds of the nation. · In accord with the Social Teaching of the Church, we encourage Catholics to enter the difficult world of politics. Through the Justice, Development and Peace Commissions/Committees and the Catholic Social Forum (CSF) the Church will provide political education and formation both for candidates vying for office and the electorate. · Catechesis in parishes should include the Church's teaching on the social dimension of sin and grace, and on how Catholics should be agents of healing and reconciliation, standing for non-violent action for justice and peace. · The Church will continue and intensify its efforts to complement the programmes of government in providing health care, education and other social services. · The Church commits itself to establishing centres of vocational, functional education that will lead to gainful employment. · Working with government, we will put in place programmes to combat the HIV/AIDS pandemic. These programmes will aim at creating AIDS awareness, arresting the spread of the virus, and extending pastoral care to infected individuals and their families. · We remind all God's people, and the laity in particular, that they are to be salt of the earth and light of the world. All Catholics must be seen to be part and parcel of the healing process of the nation. · The Church will continue to set an example for the nation by renewed efforts to follow the example of Jesus by preaching the good news to the poor (cf. Lk. 4:18), and looking after those who are most neglected. If a nation cannot truly be great when it neglects the needs of its poorest members, how much more true is that of the Church, the family of God?

6.	  CONCLUSION

"By his wounds we are healed" (1 Pet. 2:24). Jesus Christ, the Wounded Healer, freely took upon himself the sins, the wounds of humankind. Through his death on the Cross, he gives us the power to be freed from our sins and wounds. Since many of our wounds are of our own making, then the solution and way forward are also within our reach. Empowered by the grace of God and following in the footsteps of Jesus, the process of healing and reconciliation will demand sacrifice for the common good and the spirit of forgiveness articulated so clearly by Pope John Paul II: "No peace without justice, no justice without forgiveness" (World Day of Peace, 2002). Even as we move through Lent, we remain an Easter people, a people of hope.

If my people, upon whom my name has been pronounced, humble themselves and pray, and seek my presence and turn from their evil ways, I will hear them from heaven and pardon their sins and heal their land (2 Chr. 7:14).

May Our Lady, Comforter of the Afflicted and Hope of Christians, so close to the wounded Jesus Christ on the Cross, intercede for us and assist us in our efforts to heal the wounds of our nation.

+Most Revd  John Onaiyekan				+Most Revd Joseph Ajomo
    President,   CBCN					    Secretary,  CBCN
    Archbishop of Abuja			  	    Bishop of Lokoja