MALAWI's URGENT APPEAL

In our last WEEKLY NEWS (14/02/2002) we said that in MALAWI thousands are at risk of dying of hunger-related diseases if food does not reach them in time.

Here below are two appeals:
- one coming from the priests of Lilongwe Diocese
  to the Nation and to the International Community
- one coming from the AMRIM and the ARIMA (see meaning below)
  to the Episcopal Conference of Malawi and Christian Churches.

Greetings from ANB-BIA
Paolo Costantini

APPEAL OF PRIESTS OF LILONGWE DIOCESE TO THE NATION AND THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.

We, priests of Lilongwe Diocese, meeting in Lilongwe the 14th of February have informed each other about the extent of the famine currently affecting many Malawians. We have found that the famine is touching practically all of our country.

In some of our parishes elderly people who haven't left their village for a long time, now struggle to get to our churches and sit down saying that they have come to die. They have no food and no means to buy food. In some areas e.g. in Dowa District people are feeding themselves by digging roots and eating leaves, sometimes with disastrous consequences for their health. In Nauchi Village, Madisi, a mother and four children died. They were poisoned because of jealousy. They still had some food, while others did not. On Estate 21, Press Agriculture, one of the tenants went to buy husks. He was sold husks mixed with sawdust. He and his family reached hospital in time and narrowly escaped death. In Kambuzi Village at Linthipe 1, home to one of the Tikondane street children of Lilongwe, on the 8th of February, 7 funerals were underway of people said to have died of hunger.

In Lilongwe the number of children running away from the villages because of hunger has increased. They prefer to be on the streets. The traditional coping mechanisms do not work in this situation. Kusuma, or working for food is hardly possible when the famine reaches such a scale. People have to sell off their livestock and we have noted that chicken which would fetch more than 100 kwacha (US$ 2) now are sold at the price of 30/40 kwacha and that goats go for less than 300 kwacha (US$ 6). Cattle are being sold for as little as 1500 kwacha (US$ 30).

While maize is being sold at some points, it is available in such small amounts that it can only be bought in very small quantities. People often spent the night queuing up to get their turn to buy 10 or 20 kgs of maize. Others are hoarding and selling at exorbitant prices, sometimes for as much as 1400 kwacha per 50-kg bag.

Because we have been vested by our calling with the duty to be the Voice of the Voiceless,
We denounce:

1. the practice of those who, having bought maize at very low prices, are now reaping huge, but illegal and immoral profits.

2. in the strongest terms, the fact that maize has been sold to people of means and to other countries while it was known that the harvest predictions were very poor.

3. the international financial organizations, the IMF, which pressurized Admarc to sell the country's strategic reserve of maize and use the proceeds to pay of debt rather than replace the maize with a fresh reserve stock thus showing more regard for macro-economic principles than for food security.

4. the fact that in the face of such a disaster, the government is not allowed or unwilling to slash the price of maize through subsidies.

We note:

· That the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi section 30 no 2. Says: "The state shall take measures to implement the right to development. The measures shall include equality of opportunity for everyone in accessing basic resources, education, health services, food, shelter, employment and infrastructure."

· That in such a situation rules about subsidies as imposed by international organizations like W.B., IMF, W.T.O., and G 8 cannot possibly apply. We have undertaken the following: With the small means we have at our disposal, we have been doing what we can. In our parishes and hospitals, our clinics and convents we are assisting the hungry. If possible we ask for some work in return (food for work).

However we have also started feeding points where those who cannot work because of their weakness are helped. This is sometimes done in cooperation with other faith communities and civic organizations. But the situation is much more serious than the usual njala many Malawians experience every year. What we are experiencing is a real human disaster, a famine; it is killing many people especially in the rural areas.

The assistance we are giving can never suffice. This situation asks for special government intervention.

In view of all the above we urge:

· All the Members of Parliament to report about the real situation in their constituencies.

· The government to declare the famine a national disaster.

· The government to exercise price controls and to slash the price of maize to the levels of February-March 2001. This measure can be financed from extra revenues coming from the sale of fuel. (As long as the process is fair, open and transparent, this is a means, which we see as fully justified.)

· The international community to hurriedly assist the Malawian population in this human crisis.

· All churches and other non-profit organizations to be vigilant and openly denounce all that is increasing the gravity of the situation. To do all they can, kangachepe, even with their limited means, to alleviate the suffering of the hungry.

We pledge to continue to assist the most vulnerable people in places, which we think are most affected, by using the resources available to us.

------------

From the Association of Men religious of Malawi (Amrim)
and the Association of Religious Institutes of Women in Malawi (Arima)
        to the Episcopal Conference of Malawi and Christian Churches.

"I have witnessed the affliction of my people. and I have heard their cry" (Ex. 3,7)

Dear Pastors of the Catholic Church and all other Christian denominations,

We the members of Amrim and Arima are appealing to you to raise your voice in favour of our brothers and sisters. The Government and the President himself asked us to be the conscience of the nation. We believe it is urgent you speak out for your flocks especially those who feel neglected who are now desperate and hungry.

Presently, people are suffering in the villages because food is scarce and the little amounts of maize or flour reaching towns, villages and a few distribution centres are too expensive for them. Many are surviving on selling their livestock such as goats, chickens and in some cases, cows. There are being sold off cheaper than usual.

We cannot afford to wait until there is nothing left to sell or until they die of hunger or until they start looting the property of those who take advantage of their misery to make money, while they squander the meagre resources of the country.

We are in an emergency situation and we need to take urgent measures for both the short term and the long term.

In the short term, government must ensure that the maize imported is the cheapest on the market and reaches the remotest villages in the countryside. Prices must be contained as far as possible and maybe need to be subsidised.

In the long term, government must start thinking for the future. Many have not been able to buy fertilizer because of the increase in price. What will the situation be next year if nothing is done now?

The people of Malawi have the right to know why prices have increased while the Kwacha has been stable for so long. If the price has increased due to better salaries nobody would complain but even in part if this is due to mismanagement and corruption then the Government must be called to account for this. Malawians must make their voices heard and work for a better future without having to wait.

Amid this tragedy emerges a story which gives heart and hope and is an example to be followed. In Mchinji the Christian churches and the Moslem community have recognized the needs of the local people. They have set an emergency feeding centre where each church group and the Moslem community take it in turn to feed a large number of people.

There is no doubt that the Mchinji people deserve great praise for their charity and ingenuity for the love of God's people.

Yours sincerely,
Fr. Angelo Belotti, M.Afr, Amrim
Sr. Victoria Chirwa, M.I.C. , Arima.