eXamination project

http://www.nytexaminer.com/examination/

Today’s news and information circulate at such a rapid pace and high volume that it is often difficult for media consumers to effectively assess mainstream media bias and accuracy. NYT eXaminer’s “eXamination” project is designed to aid critical media literacy and to help people participate in shaping the news that affects our life. We help by applying filters and organization to large amounts of New York Times data and offering frameworks through which to analyze mainstream media. The eXamination project provides filters for fact-checking, source-analysis, critique of NYT writers and Editors, assessments of conflicts of interest, advertising and policy, relations between NYT management and labor, the newsroom, and much more. The eXamination project will be updated dynamically as we publish daily. The categories featured below will be updated and refined as current events and data demand. Our suggested readings, ten part video interview with WikiLeaks Editor Julian Assange, models offered by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman — and much more — are all presented here.

We hope that our eXamination project aids you — as a reader, journalist or editor — in developing a more critical understanding of mainstream media for the purpose of truth, social justice, and holding mainstream media — such as the New York Times — accountable.