From: e.pey at libero.it
To: comunicazione at serenoregis.org
Cc: pace at peacelink.it,paxchristi at yahoogroups.com,mir-riconciliazione at yahoogroups.com,lista123lm at gmail.com,glt-nonviolenza at liste.retelilliput.org,donneinnero-owner at listas.nodo50.org,eco-fem-nonviolenta at lists.unbit.it,ml-beati at beati.org
Sent: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:28:32 +0100
Subject: [pace] Fw: Letter to the Nobel Committee

email blast template

Qualcuno ridiffonda tradotto. Grazie!
Enrico Peyretti, Torino

----- Original Message -----
From: UFPJ Alerts
To: e.pey at libero.it
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:51 PM
Subject: Letter to the Nobel Committee

      @font-face {
	font-family: Verdana;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: .5in .75in 45.0pt 45.0pt; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }
@page Section2 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: .5in .75in 45.0pt 45.0pt; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }
@page Section3 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: .5in .75in 45.0pt 45.0pt; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }
@page Section4 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
DIV.Section2 {
	page: Section2
}
DIV.Section3 {
	page: Section3
}
DIV.Section4 {
	page: Section4
}

      December 9,
      2009

      An
      Open Letter to The Norwegian Nobel Committee.

      On
      December 10, you will award the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize to President Barack
      Obama, citing "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international
      diplomacy and cooperation between people." We the undersigned are
      distressed that President Obama, so close upon his receipt of this honor,
      has opted to escalate the U.S. war in Afghanistan with the deployment of
      30,000 additional troops. We regret that he could not be guided by the
      example of a previous Nobel Peace Laureate, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King,
      Jr., who identified his peace prize as "profound recognition that
      nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral question of
      our time -- the need for man [sic] to overcome oppression and violence
      without resorting to violence and oppression."

      President Obama has insisted
      that his troop escalation is a necessary response to dangerous instability
      in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but we reject the notion that military action
      will advance the region's stability, or our own national security. In his
      peace prize acceptance speech, Dr. King observed that "Civilization and
      violence are antithetical concepts…man [sic] must evolve for all human
      conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation." As
      people committed to end the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan, we are
      filled with remorse by this new decision of our president, for it will not
      bring peace.

      Declaring his opposition to
      the Vietnam War, Dr. King insisted that "no one who has any concern for
      the integrity and life of America today can ignore the present war…We must
      continue to raise our voices and our lives if our nation persists in its
      perverse ways… We are at the moment when our lives must be placed on the
      line if our nation is to survive its own folly. Every man [sic] of humane
      convictions must decide on the protest that best suits his convictions,
      but we must all protest."

      We
      pledge ourselves to mobilize our constituencies in the spirit of Dr.
      King's nonviolent and committed example. His prophetic words will guide us
      as we assemble in the halls of Congress, in local offices of elected
      representatives, and in the streets of our cities and towns, protesting
      every proposal that will continue funding war. We will actively and
      publicly oppose the war funding which President Obama will soon seek from
      Congress and re-commit ourselves to the protracted struggle against U.S.
      war-making in Iraq and Afghanistan.

      We
      assume that the Nobel Committee chose to award President Obama the peace
      prize in full awareness of the vision offered by Dr. King's acceptance
      speech. We also understand that the Nobel committee may now regret that
      decision in light of recent developments, as we believe that the committee
      should be reluctant to present an Orwellian message equating peace with
      war. When introducing the President, the Committee should, at the very
      least, exhibit a level of compassion and humility by drawing attention to
      this distressing ambiguity.

      We
      will do all we can to ensure that popular pressure will soon bring
      President Obama to an acceptance of the duties which this prize, and even
      more his electoral mandate to be a figure of change, impose upon
      him.  He must end the catastrophic policies of
      occupation and war that have caused so much destruction, so many deaths
      and displacements, and so much injury to our own democratic
      traditions.

      This prize is not a
      meaningless honor.  We pledge, ourselves obeying its
      call to nonviolent action, to make our President worthy of
      it.

      Sincerely,

      Jack Amoureux - Board of
      Directors
      Military Families Speak
      Out

      Medea Benjamin - Co-Founder,

      Global
      Exchange

      Frida Berrigan - Witness
      Against Torture

      Elaine Brower - World Can't
      Wait

      Leslie Cagan -
      Co-Founder
      United for Peace and
      Justice

      Bob
      Cooke - Regional Coordinator
      Pax
      Christi USA, Pax Christi Metro, DC and Baltimore

      Tom
      Cornell - Catholic Peace Fellowship

      Matt Daloisio - War
      Resisters League

      Marie Dennis - Maryknoll
      Office for Global Concerns

      Laurie Dobson - Director,

      End
      US Wars

      Mike Ferner - National
      President
      Veterans For
      Peace

      Joy
      First- Convener
      National Campaign for
      Non-Violent Resistance

      Sara Flounders -
      International Action Center

      Diana Gibson - Christian
      Peace Witness

      Rabbi Lynn Gottlieb - Shomer
      Shalom Network for Jewish Nonviolence

      David Hartsough -
      Peaceworkers, San Francisco

      Mike Hearington - Georgia
      Peace & Justice Coalition

      Kimber J. Heinz - Organizing
      Coordinator
      War
      Resisters League

      Mark Johnson -
      Director
      Fellowship of
      Reconciliation

      Kathy Kelly -
      Co-coordinator
      Voices for Creative
      Non-Violence

      Leslie Kielson -
      Co-Chair
      United for Peace and
      Justice

      Malachy Kilbride - National
      Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance

      Kevin Martin - Executive
      Director
      Peace Action and Peace
      Action Education Fund

      Linda LeTendre - Saratoga
      [New York] Peace Alliance

      Michael T. McPhearson -
      National Executive Director,
      Veterans For
      Peace

      Gael Murphy - Co-Founder,

      Code
      Pink

      Sheila Musaji - The American
      Muslim

      Michael Nagler -
      Founder
      Metta Center for
      Nonviolence

      Max
      Obuszewski - Pledge of Resistance Baltimore and Baltimore Nonviolence
      Center

      Pete Perry - Peace of the
      Action

      Dave Robinson, Executive
      Director
      Pax
      Christi

      David Swanson -
      AfterDowningStreet.org

      Terry Rockefeller - Families
      for Peaceful Tomorrows

      Samina Sundas - Founding
      Executive Director
      The
      American Muslim Voice

      Nancy Tsou - Coordinator,

      Rockland Coalition for Peace
      and Justice

      Diane Turco - Cape Codders
      for Peace and Justice

      Marge Van Cleef - Womens
      International League for Peace and Freedom

      Jose Vasquez - Executive
      Director
      Iraq Veterans Against the
      War

      Craig
      Wiesner
      Multifaith Voices for Peace
      and Justice

      Scott Wright - Pax Christi
      Metro DC - Baltimore

      Kevin Zeese - Executive
      Director
      Voters for
      Peace

      Along with delivering this
      open letter to the Nobel Peace Committee, activists will present it at a
      rally in Lafayette Square, Washington, D.C. on Saturday, December 12th, 11
      a.m. - 4 p.m., www.enduswar.org

      Help us continue to do this
      critical work: Make
      a donation to UFPJ today.
      UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
PO Box
      607; Times Square Station; New York, NY 10108

Click
      here to edit your subscription | Click
      here to unsubscribe

il dialogo - Periodico di Monteforte Irpino
Via Nazionale, 51 - 83024 Monteforte Irpino (AV) - Tel: 339-4325220
Email redazione: redazione at ildialogo.org
Email direttore: direttore at ildialogo.org
Sito: http://www.ildialogo.org

«Voi siete il sale della terra; ma, se il sale diventa insipido, con che lo si salerà? Non è più buono a nulla se non a essere gettato via e calpestato dagli uomini.(Mt 5,13)

"Tutte le valanghe prima di diventare tali erano solo fiocchi di neve"

Abbonarsi ad Adista www.adista.it , Tempi di Fraternità www.tempidifraternita.it , Confronti www.confronti.net , QOL www.qolrivista.it fa bene alla salute

TUTELA DELLA PRIVACY
Ai sensi della Legge 675/1996, La informiamo che il Suo indirizzo è stato reperito attraverso e-mail da noi ricevuta o da fonti di pubblico dominio. Siamo coscienti che e-mail indesiderate sono oggetto di disturbo, quindi La preghiamo di accettare le nostre più sincere scuse se la presente non è di Suo interesse. Tutti i destinatari della e-mail sono in copia nascosta (Privacy L.75/96). Qualora non intendesse più ricevere comunicazioni, La preghiamo di inviare una e-mail di risposta con oggetto: CANCELLA a redazione at ildialogo.org precisando l'indirizzo che sarà quindi immediatamente rimosso dalla mailing list. Abbiamo cura di evitare fastidiosi invii multipli, laddove ciò avvenisse La preghiamo di segnalarcelo.