3rd Anniversary Update

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 |
If you are having trouble viewing this message, please
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=4&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3202>click
here.

Please forward widely!

 As the third anniversary of the Iraq War approaches, Congress is
considering the Bush Administration's request for an additional $72 billion
in war funding.

Imagine if that money were used instead to rebuild the schools, homes,
hospitals, libraries and businesses that our military destroyed in Iraq.

Imagine if that money were used instead to rebuild New Orleans and the rest
of the devastated Gulf Coast. Imagine if that money were used to provide
educational opportunities for our young people, or prescription medicines
for our seniors.

It isn't hard to imagine scores of ways to use our tax dollars that would
be better than prolonging a war based on lies. Yet Congress keeps
rubber-stamping request after request for billions more.

Let's use the activities around the third anniversary to send a clear
message to Congress: Stop Funding the War! Bring All the Troops Home Now!

United for Peace and Justice has created a new petition to Congress calling
on them to take immediate action to end the war.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=5&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/congresspetition>It
is available online, and we hope you will circulate it broadly to help
gather as many signatures as possible. We will deliver the signatures to
Senators during the UFPJ Congressional Education Day on May 22.

We have also created a hard-copy version
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=6&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/downloads/Petition%20to%20Congress.doc>for
you to download and print out. A petition can be a valuable tool for local
organizing: Asking people to sign is a great way to open conversations, and
once people do sign you have their contact information. In other words, not
only do we collectively send a message to Congress, but the petition can
help you build your local groups.

These petitions can help you amplify the message of your 3rd anniversary
events. After you have collected signatures, a small group can present them
to your Representative and or Senators. You still have time to make an
appointment to visit your legislators on March 20 (or later in the week).
Visit the
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=7&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3116>UFPJ
Legislative Action webpage for information on specific anti-war legislation
to discuss with your Representative and Senators.

Finally, we want to call your attention to a few of the theme days during
the week of antiwar actions around the 3rd anniversary:

Wednesday, March 15:
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=8&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3197>National
Day of Local Media Protest
Thursday, March 16:
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=9&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3187>National
Day of Youth and Student Action Against the War
Monday, March 20:
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=10&url=http://globalcalliraq.org/en/node>AGlobal
Call for Nonviolent Resistance to End the U.S.-Led Occupation of Iraq
Monday, March 20:
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=11&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3116>Local
Actions to Keep the Pressure on Congress

Be sure to list any antiwar activities you know about during the week of
March 15 to 22 on the
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=12&url=http://unitedforpeace.org/calendar.php?caltype=39&lcountry=&state=&search=Search>UFPJ
calendar. More than 340 events are already listed, but we know there is
much more happening. Help us create the most complete possible list so we
can convey to the media the full scale and scope of grassroots opposition
to the war.

APRIL 29
New York City
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=92648060&url_num=13&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/april29>March
for Peace, Justice, and Democracy
End the war in Iraq -- bring the troops home!
Unite for change -- let's turn our country around!

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
To subscribe, visit
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email>www.unitedforpeace.org/email

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, visit
<http://www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp>www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp