[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 05 Feb 2006]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

When Promoting Truth Obscures the Truth:
More on Iraqi Body Count and Iraqi Deaths
Stephen Soldz, ZNet
...If Western reporters, competing for scarce public attention, are loath
to accurately portray the extent of their ignorance about what is going on
in enormous chunks of Iraq, IBC has no excuse not to acknowledge, openly
and prominently, the resultant limits to their civilian death tally. To not
proclaim loudly that the IBC count is, by its nature, likely a severe
undercount of the true number of dea! ths, is to participate in the culture
of deceit and denial of the costs in civilian lives and suffering that has
plagued this alleged humanitarian intervention from the beginning. If IBC
does not understand this point, then their efforts at promoting truth have
now turned into its opposite and should cease...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20324&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20324

The 'freedom' my son died for
Cindy Sheehan
I was arrested in the U.S. Capitol minutes before the State of the Union
address last week for wearing a T-shirt that pointed out how many
Americans, like my son, Casey, have been killed in Iraq. The T-shirt simply
said: "2,245 Dead. How Many More?" During the address, President Bush
uttered the word "freedom" 17 times, saying that was what our troops were
fighting in Iraq to defend. At a minimum, you'd think we would all have the
freedom to express ourselves through sl! ogans on a T-shirt. Is this what
my son died for? Is this theft of our precious freedom of speech the "noble
cause" that Bush told us our soldiers are fighting for?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20322&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20322

LET'S PUT THE NEW "WHITE HOUSE MEMO" INTO THE MEDIA
Radar Contact
Last year, your efforts forced the Downing Street Memos into the U.S.
media. Can you do the same with the new "White House Memo"? This memo -
reported by British scholar Phillipe Sands in his book "Lawless World" - is
yet another smoking gun exposing pre-war lies. It reveals that Bush and
Blair agreed on war in January 2003 - not March 2003, as they insist. It
also reveals they knew there was no legitimate case for war, that Bush was
hoping to assa! ssinate Saddam Hussein, and that Bush was so desperate to
provoke a war that he even proposed painting US planes to look like UN
planes and flying them low over Iraq in hopes of getting shot at - which he
thought would be grounds for war...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20318&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20318

Defense and Support Committee of President Saddam Hussein, his Comrades and
all P.o.W.s and Detainees in Iraq. (ISNAD)
PRESS RELEASE
Khalil Dolaimi, President of the Defense Committee in Iraq
Lawyer Khalil Dolaimi – President of the Defense Committee for President
Saddam Hussein, his Comrades and all detainees in Iraq – announced that the
American authorities have denied all the lawyers their right to meet with
their clients. This act violated the provisions of the Geneva Conventions,
International an! d Humanitarian Laws. President Saddam and his comrades
are detained in very bad conditions. They are denied their rights to a fair
and impartial trial. Moreover, they have been recently denied access to
their defense lawyers. We appeal to the whole international community to
put pressure on the U.S. administration in order to release the kidnapped
President – Mr.Saddam Hussein and his comrades- to withdraw the invading
forces from Iraq and to restore back the status quo ante the 9th of April
2003...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20314&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20314

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty
Roger X & Emma Clancy
...The invasion of Iraq, referred to by some as "globalisation at
gunpoint", is the clearest example of the brutal nature of the capitalist
system: it is estimated that more than 100,000 Iraqi people have died as a
result of the US-led war and occupation. In its drive to secure Iraq’s oil
supply and to have an outpost of control in the strategically important
Middle East, the US has used extreme violence and demonstrated a total
disregard f! or human life. Torture of detainees is widespread, and US
military documents revealed in January that the wives of suspected
resistance fighters have been kidnapped and jailed in an attempt to
pressure their husbands to turn themselves in to the occupation forces. If
anyone’s still looking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, they need
only look to Fallujah, where an Iraqi investigation revealed that chemical
weapons — including white phosphorous — were used by US forces against
civilians. However, the Iraqi people will not be beaten into submission and
they continue to use demonstrations, civil disobedience and armed
resistance to fight for their right to self-determination...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20329&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20329

GI Special 4B4: "Morale Was Low" - February 5, 2006
Thomas F. Barton
As the partner of an Iraq War veteran, I pay attention to the news. I
watched the president's State of the Union address Tuesday night hoping to
hear some good news. Instead, most of what I heard made me frustrated and
angry. When Mr. Bush decided to wage war on Iraq, he lost my trust. As he
continued to make speeches about the progress in Iraq and high morale of
our troops, I heard an entirely different story from my own soldier, who
was deplo! yed in northern Iraq for most of 2005. I heard his stories of
Iraqi citizens who had nothing but disdain for U.S. soldiers. I heard him
tell me that morale was low, that he and others had no idea what their
mission was and that their only concern was for each other and making it
home alive. I heard him express frustration that for every insurgent they
arrested, two more were there to take the detainee's place...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20312&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20312

Bush's Iraq exit key - Tied in knots
Imad Khadduri, Free Iraq
".. as we pursue the terrorists, our military is helping to train Iraqi
security forces so that they can defend their people and fight the enemy on
their own." 'As Iraqis Stand Up, We Will Stand Down,' Bush Tells Nation
June 28, 2005 So how are they doing so far? "The biggest weakness that the
Iraqi army has right now is logistics - where to get the stuff, how to get
it. They just don't have it yet," (emphasis ! added) said Marine Maj. Ted
Wong of San Francisco, who helps train Iraqi soldiers in this sector 50
miles from Baghdad"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20325&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20325

Exclusive: Can the President Order a Killing on U.S. Soil?
Newsweek
In the latest twist in the debate over presidential powers, a Justice
Department official suggested that in certain circumstances, the president
might have the power to order the killing of terrorist suspects inside the
United States. Steven Bradbury, acting head of the department's Office of
Legal Counsel, went to a closed-door Senate intelligence committee meeting
last week to defend President George W. Bush's surveillance program. During
the b! riefing, said administration and Capitol Hill officials (who
declined to be identified because the session was private), California
Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein asked Bradbury questions about the extent
of presidential powers to fight Al Qaeda; could Bush, for instance, order
the killing of a Qaeda suspect known to be on U.S. soil? Bradbury replied
that he believed Bush could indeed do this, at least in certain
circumstances...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20323&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20323

The hidden stakes in the Iran crisis
Thierry Meyssan, Reseau Voltaire
The confrontation between the big powers over Iran continues with
antagonisms hidden from view. Since December 2002, the USA has accused Iran
of seeking nuclear arms in violation of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
The seizure of Iran by the USA would mean them taking control of both the
East bank of the Persian Gulf and the Southern Caspian, including their
reserves of oil and gas estimated to be the second largest in the world...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20326&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20326

Blair refuses to meet mother of Iraq war victim
Paul Hutcheon, Scottish Political Editor
Tony Blair has declined to meet the mother of a teenage soldier killed
during the Iraq war, provoking an angry reaction and condemnation from
other politicians. Blair’s refusal came in a letter to Rose Gentle, whose
19-year-old son Gordon died in a roadside explosion in Basra in 2004. He
also said the government would not backdate new compensation payments to
include Gentle and defended the position of denying the dead soldi! er a
pension...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20321&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20321

Danish cartooning
Xymphora
...The conspiracy angle of this unnecessary crisis is that the Danes knew
exactly what they were doing, and intended to provoke the violent Muslim
reaction that they got. Those involved are anti-immigration racists who
wanted to make the point that Muslims are inherently violent and shouldn't
be allowed into Denmark. This was no accident. What the hell happened to
Denmark anyway? It used to be one of the most reliably progressive places
in the world. Now we see a right-wing government b! acked by
anti-immigration racists that sent troops to Iraq, troops that even had
their own little torture scandal. Denmark is actually an excellent example
of the future joys of vote reform, since the far right, anti-immigration
Danish Peoples Party provides the seats which allows the government to
control power...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20320&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20320

Super Bowl Police State
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
According to a Department of Perpetual War (formerly the Department of
Defense) "news release," NORAD "will contribute to security operations"
during the Super Bowl in Detroit. "The aerospace command will fly Operation
Noble Eagle air defense protection missions in the Detroit and Windsor,
Ont., Canada area, officials said. Windsor is just across the Detroit River
from Michigan. And NORAD has military assets from both Canada and the U.S,"
explains the ! American Forces Press Service. "Operation Noble Eagle is a
defense and civil support mission started after the terrorist attacks of
Sept. 11, 2001, to help protect the U.S. homeland." In other words, the
Pentagon is exploiting a premier gladiatorial event watched by millions of
Americans in order to get folks accustomed to a "wider portfolio of
missions," as the Carlyle Group-influenced RAND corporation deems it,
shorthand for ever-increasing militarization of society...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20319&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20319

About that New Memo...
Clemsy's Corner
So a new Downing Street Memo came to light illustrating Blair and Bush's
intention to invade Iraq regardless of evidence of, well, anything. Mr Bush
told Mr Blair that the US was so worried about the failure to find hard
evidence against Saddam that it thought of "flying U2 reconnaissance
aircraft planes with fighter cover over Iraq, painted in UN colours". Mr
Bush added: "If Saddam fired on them, he would be in breach [of UN
resolutions]". This took place in January,! 2003. I will remind you of the
claim, four months earlier, these gentlemen made regarding a certain
nonexistant International Atomic Energy Agency report. Remember? The one
that supposedly stated Iraq would have a nuke within six months?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20316&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20316

Revealed: secret plan to keep UK troops permanently in Iraq
BRIAN BRADY, Scotland on Sunday, UK
BRITAIN is laying secret plans to maintain a permanent military presence in
Iraq. Ministers and military officials are in negotiations with their
American counterparts over the British contribution to the long-term effort
to maintain peace and stability in post-Saddam Iraq once the country is
handed over to its newly elected government...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20315&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20315

Bring regime change home
David Swanson
There are protests outside at least two houses today, the White House and
Bush's luxury estate near Crawford, Texas. Bush can run, but he cannot hide
(...) The danger these criminals have put us in with their illegal war and
their bellicose rhetoric is a reason to oppose them, not a reason to cower
behind them like children. Their own strategists see few ways that they can
regain any credibility or popularity other than another terrorist incident
in this country. But if the ! American people have learned anything, it is
that another such incident - should it occur - should only erode what's
left of Bush and Cheney's pretense to leadership...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20311&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20311

This happened to me.
A Citizen Of Mosul
The New York Time web journal Published the story of the American soldier
who shot to kill me. It is a real story happened to me at the first day
following the holiday of the Eid, as I was in my way home (...) I was
driving home from my clinic around 5:15 p.m., the time I usually return
home, because it's not safe to be out past sunset. I was 50 meters away
from my house – which is located on a service road parallel to a main
street. The street and the service road are sepa! rated by a curb two
meters wide. While I was driving slowly on the service road, an American
patrol, which consisted of three armored-car Strykers, passed by on the
main street, moving in the same direction as I was. When the first Stryker
passed me, a soldier riding on top fired two shots in my direction...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20310&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20310

Say it ain't so! Another American caught robbing Iraq.
Truth About Iraqis
This is starting to become somewhat of a cruel joke. Yet another American
official caught in yet another American scandal in yet another mishandling
of Iraqi monies. Robert Stein held a senior position in the Coalition
Provisional Authority, which administered Iraq after American and allied
forces invaded in 2003. In a Washington court, he admitted to stealing more
than $2m (£1.12m) and taking bribes in return for contracts...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20309&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20309

Democrats on Iran
Eli Stephens, Left I on the News
While the Democratic leadership competes with George Bush to see who can be
tougher on Iran, it would be comforting to think that the more progressive
Democratic base had learned a bit more from the invasion of Iraq than the
leadership. Would that that were true. Unfortunately...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20308&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20308

More Allegations of Libby Lies Revealed
Judge's Report Shows Cheney Aide Is Accused Of Broad Deception
Carol D. Leonnig, Washington Post Staff Writer
The special prosecutor in the CIA leak case alleged that Vice President
Cheney's former chief of staff was engaged in a broader web of deception
than was previously known and repeatedly lied to conceal that he had been a
key source for reporters about undercover operative Valerie Plame,
according to court records released yesterday. The records al! so show that
by August 2004, early in his investigation of the disclosure of Plame's
identity, Special Counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald had concluded that he did
not have much of a case against I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby for illegally
leaking classified information...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20306&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20306

Another Mother Against Your War
RSVP to Bush
ELISA SALASIN
...I send my regrets on behalf of all mothers who stand against the lies
and corruption that fuel our countries so-called spreadng of democracy, our
opening of hearts and minds -- the mothers of the more than 2,000 Americans
and tens of thousands of Iraqis that have died for your quest, the mothers
who, when confronted by an American convoy in Iraq, hold their baby up to
prevent attacks from the scared and stressed US soldiers waving weapons. T!
hat is the safety you have brought -- a deep-seated fear that lives on,
that kills, if not directly then in spirit. I send my regrets also on
behalf of mothers of the 16,000 Iraqis imprisoned, many without charges, of
those imprisoned in Guantanamo, and at each of the secret US-run and
sponsored facilities around the world, those held without recourse to
justice, those tortured in both body and mind...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20305&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20305

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 4 February 2006
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice
...In a dispatch posted at 4:50pm Mecca time Saturday afternoon, Mafkarat
al-Islam reported that residents in the northwestern Baghdad district of
ash-Shu'lah discovered the bodies of 14 Iraqi Sunnis who had been arrested
last week by the puppet "Interior Ministry Shock Troops (Maghawir)" in the
Sab' al-Bur area north of Baghdad. The correspondent for Mafkar! at
al-Islam reported eyewitnesses as saying that they found the 14 bodies
bound and blind folded shot in their heads and chests. The correspondent
added that the bodies were identified and it became known that the puppet
"Shock Troops" had arrested them from the al-Aqsa Mosque in the Sab' al-Bur
area...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=20304&s2=06>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20304

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.