[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 15 Nov 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF
Malcom Lagauche
There have been billions of words written about Iraq. Writers vary from
unapologetic warmongers to hardline resistance supporters. However, few
have written in detail about the one aspect of the U.S. policy that was the
big gamble. If it worked, we would not be writing about Iraq today. You can
take all the lies about WMD and the Saddam/Osama connection and throw them
out the window if the gamble worked. They would have been useless in
attempting to show the deception used ! to invade Iraq. The big gamble was
that Iraqis would welcome the U.S. as liberators. If they had, Bush would
have no political problems today and his acceptance rate of the U.S. public
would be very high. The anti-war opponents would be buried and no one would
listen to their messages. There would be no anti-war or pro resistance
websites...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17844&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17844

Scott Ritter Tells the Complete Story Why We're in Iraq
It Begins with the CIA's Conspiracy to Undermine the UN and Overthrow
Saddam Hussein
A BUZZFLASH INTERVIEW
...The corruption of the UNSCOM inspection process by the CIA was two-fold.
Let's talk about the exterior corruption. The disarmament process itself
was used by the CIA not to disarm Iraq, but to contain Saddam Hussein by
providing a façade of legitimacy for the continuation of economic
sanctions. From the very beginning, the CIA's approach t! o the weapons
inspectors was not one of let's assist the inspectors in carrying out their
mandated task to disarm Iraq, but rather, how can we use the inspection
process to facilitate the unilateral policy of regime change in Iraq. That
policy was ordered by the Executive Branch of the United States Government,
starting with George Herbert Walker Bush in 1991 and going through the
Clinton Administration, and then of course on to the current Administration
of George W. Bush...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17871&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17871

Bad mistakes from US media, bad news for Bush
Truth About Iraqis
Why does US media continue to get it wrong? Read this article from MSNBC
"... In Amman, Jordan, as three American-owned hotels mopped blood off
their floors and hospitals tallied 57 dead from the country's worst
terrorist outrage, no one doubted who was to blame: the same Qaeda bigwig.
The US media continues to insist that the hotels are US-owned, whereas the
owners themselves are saying they are Palestinian/Jordanian owned (...)
Iraqi-gov! ernment torture camps Before I go on with this let me quiet the
euphoria of the pro-invasion bloc by explaining that the government I refer
to is the one run by Iranians in Iraq under the watchful eyes of their US
installers....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17870&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17870

Rewriting history, Mr Bush? ... As I was saying ...
Imad Khadduri , Free Iraq
...This is how Charles Duelfer, (former deputy executive chairman, U.N.
Special Commission on Iraq [UNSCOM]; former special adviser to the director
of central intelligence on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction; former head,
Iraq Survey Group), explained why statements, such as the above, were not
heeded by the American "Intelligence". "QUESTIONER: The second one was a
fellow who was a close adviser on the nuclear side, who went ! on to
Canada... and he was very quiet for a long time because he was scared, but
then as he saw war coming he actually went public and said, you know, "I
was very close to the nuclear side and nothing was going on there. This was
over for years." (...) I'm told that the fellow in Canada ... was never
even interviewed by the CIA. DUELFER: The system - you know, if you have a
100 people in the day who say, you know, "I was driving in Baghdad and I
didn't see anything," it doesn't make it to the president's desk. It's just
a - it's unnatural...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17869&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17869

UN: US detains Iraqis in mass arrests
Reuters
The United Nations has reported that the US military in Iraq is detaining
people faster than a new board can review their cases to determine whether
their rights are being respected. The US-led force continues to hold far
more prisoners than the Iraqi government, and most are individuals picked
up in mass arrests and detained for "imperative reasons of security," the
world body said on Monday...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17866&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17866

White House Iraq Group Must be Investigated
US Rep Adam Smith, Daily Kos
Was the White House truthful with the American people and with Congress in
making their case to go to war in Iraq? This is a critical question that
demands a clear answer and it is long past time for the United States
Congress to properly ask it and investigate the matter. A group of top
White House advisors, including Karl Rove, Condoleezza Rice and Lewis
"Scooter" Libby, the now-indicted former chief of staff to Vice President
Dick Cheney! , formed the White House Iraq Group(WHIG) in August 2002 with
the task to make the case for going to war in Iraq and to convince Congress
and the American public to support that policy...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17865&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17865

GI Special 3D15: "He Was Under No Illusion" - November 15, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
...Husaybah, a border city on the far western edge of Iraq's Euphrates
River Valley, has reached a turning point-a window of time when military
combat begins to resemble police work, when direct assaults give way to
routine patrols, and when killing insurgents seems easy when compared to
simply finding them. Although U.S. Marines conducted a house-by-house sweep
of the entire area last week, they have begun to find signs that !
insurgents may already be slowly returning...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17864&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17864

Saddam trial lawyer flees Iraq after attack
Sydney Morning Herald
A lawyer representing two of Saddam Hussein's co-defendants has fled Iraq
and is seeking asylum in Qatar following an attempt on his life, according
to a letter he has written to the leader of the Gulf state (...) "We are
paying the price of being lawyers representing the law. We are not
politicians to get involved in policy. We are not criminals to be punished
like this under a democratic government," he said. Last week, Mr Khuzaie
narrowly escape! d death when gunmen opened fire on a vehicle in which he
was travelling with Mr Zubeidi. Mr Zubeidi was killed and Mr Khuzaie was
wounded in the head by a bullet...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17863&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17863

Toxic Truths from the Iraqi Battlefront
Siddharth Varadarajan, GlobalResearch.ca
...In the course of two years, the world has borne witness to the ease with
which the United States has broken one civilised norm after the next. First
out was the taboo against indefinite detention, then the one on torture and
collective punishment, then the ban on the use of disproportionate force
and the use of indiscriminate weapons in closely confined areas where
non-combatants could be targeted. In Fallujah, that martyred city ! which
will now take its place in the annals of human infamy alongside Guernica,
the U.S. appears to have crossed yet another frontier...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17862&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17862

Italians Protest US Burning of Iraqis: Report
IslamOnline.net
Italian demonstrators have gathered outside the US Embassy in Rome to
protest the US army use of white phosphorus shells (WP) against Iraqis, a
leading British daily reported Tuesday, November 15. The Independent said
another protest organised by the Italian newspaper, Liberazione, was
planned Tuesday in front of the US Consulate in Milan. "The 'war on
terrorism' is terrorism," one of the newspaper's commentators declared...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17860&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17860

A soldier's story
Fugitive GI speaks to WSWS on Iraq war
Jeff Riley, WSWS
Two years ago, after witnessing first-hand the atrocities carried out by
the US military in the invasion and occupation of Iraq, Private First Class
Joshua Key decided to desert the US Army rather than face redeployment in
the criminal war. Key is now in Canada with his wife and four young
children, having joined a growing number of US soldiers who have fled there
seeking refugee status...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17858&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17858

2 Iraqis claim U.S. soldiers threw them to the lions
LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer
Two Iraqi businessmen, who were imprisoned by U.S. forces in Iraq, claimed
Monday that American soldiers threw them into a cage of lions in a Baghdad
palace, as part of a terrifying interrogation in 2003. "They took me behind
the cage, they were screaming at me, scaring me and beating me a lot,"
Thahe Mohammed Sabbar said in an interview. "One of the soldiers would open
the door, and two soldiers would push me in. The l! ions came running
toward me and they pulled me out and shut the door. I completely lost
consciousness"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17856&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17856

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 14 November 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
...US forces on Sunday raided a headquarters of their allies the Shi'i
separatist Badr Brigades in Baghdad where dozens of youths had been
imprisoned. Reliable sources told the Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent in
Baghdad that the US forces freed the prisoners held by their Badr Brigade
allies in the Sunday raid. A source in ! the US-installed "Iraqi Defense
Ministry" told Mafkarat al-Islam that US military representative had said
that an American unit raided the Badr Brigade headquarters in the south of
Baghdad and found dozes of Sunni prisoners being tortured in secret cells...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17854&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17854

'I treated people who had their skin melted'
Dahr Jamail, Independent
Abu Sabah knew he had witnessed something unusual. Sitting in November last
year in a refugee camp in the grounds of Baghdad University, set up for the
families who fled or were driven from Fallujah, this resident of the city's
Jolan district told me how he had witnessed some of the battle's heaviest
fighting. "They used these weird bombs that put up smoke like a mushroom
cloud," he said. He had seen "pieces of these bombs explode into large fi!
res that continued to burn on the skin even after people dumped water on
the burns"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17852&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17852

"They hate us, .. and they hate freedom."
Imad Khadduri , Free Iraq
...In the above context of the "valour" of the American troops, this is a
report of an eye-witness account of a recent incident that was emailed to
me (with a slight editing of the language). The details of this incident
were recounted to a medic, who is working with a government health care
unit, as recounted to her by her affected relative in that village...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17851&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17851

Haunted by "The Iceman"
ADAM ZAGORIN
Military Police at Iraq's notorious Abu Ghraib prison dubbed him the
Iceman; others used the nickname Mr. Frosty. Some even called him Bernie,
after the character in the 1989 movie Weekend at Bernie's, about a dead man
whose associates carry him around as if he were still alive. The prisoner
is listed as Manadel al-Jamadi in three official investigations of his
death while in U.S. custody, a death that was ruled a homicide in a Defense
Department autopsy (...) Al-Jamadi was a ! prisoner of the far more
secretive CIA. That fact, for the moment, leaves unanswered the questions,
If he was the victim of a homicide, who killed him? And will there be a
trial?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17849&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17849

Iraqi Sunnis Slam Targeted Crackdowns
Samir Haddad, Mazen Ghazi, IOL Correspondents
...Iraqi security forces Saturday, November 12, arrested more than 350
people in Baquba, the capital of Diyala, including members of the Islamic
Party. US and Iraqi troops have also been involved in major operations in
Al-Anbar province, near the Syrian border, sweeping through several towns
whose residents fled the offensives. On his part, Khalaf Al-Elian,
Secretary General of the National Dialogue Council, urged the people of Al!
-Anbar to declare civil disobedience in response to the "grisly crimes
committed by the US-backed Iraqi troops." The Association of Muslim
Scholars (AMS) further accused the US-led and Iraqi troops of launching an
"ethnic cleansing" operation against the Sunnis. "They are dividing Iraq
and sparking a deadly sectarian sedition in the country," AMS spokesman
Mohammad Bashar Al-Faidi told IOL...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17848&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17848

Burn in hell, Mr. President
DOUG THOMPSON, Capitol Hill Blue
My first reaction when I read the transcript of President George W. Bush's
Veteran's Day speech was anger. No, not anger. Rage. Blind rage. How dare
he, I thought. Not even the lowest, scum-sucking son of a bitch in politics
would stoop to using a day to honor those who served their country would
stoop to using that day to promote his lies-based, illegal, immoral
exercise in mass murder called the invasion of Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17845&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17845

So many secrets, so few shredders
Mollie Bradley-Martin
As a parent, nothing makes me more nervous and suspicious than absolute
silence. If kids aren't making noise, it's a pretty safe bet there is
trouble afoot. Likewise, a quiet Bush White House has me on edge. This is
already the most secretive administration in American History and now they
have clammed up like never before. With so many secrets to hide and so many
fronts to defend, chances are, they are up to no good at 1600 Pennsylvania
Avenue. With Bush's ! poll numbers in the toilet, the word Impeachment is
being bandied about. Even Zogby got off his ass and finally posed the
question to the American people (after being paid by
AfterDowningStreet.org) and surprise, surprise, 53% support an impeachment
inquiry if Bush lied us into war. We all know that the intelligence was
cherry picked, massaged and in some cases manufactured so the inquiry
should be a slam-dunk, right? Wrong. This administration has classified
more documents than any in our history, making the truth almost impossible
to decipher...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17846&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17846

Torture's out. Now they call it abuse
Robert Fisk, The Independent
...American journalists now refer to "abuse laws" rather than torture laws.
Yes, abuse sounds so much better, doesn't it? No screaming, no cries of
agony when you're abused. No shrieks of pain. No discussion of the state of
mind of the animals perpetrating this abuse on our behalf. And its as well
to remember that the government of Lord Blair of Kut al-Amara has decided
it's quite all right to use information gleaned from this sadism...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17847&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17847

EXCLUSIVE: Former Iraqi Detainees Allege Torture by U.S. Troops
Men Say Repeated Beatings, Mock Execution, Sexual Humiliation Were Prevalent
JAKE TAPPER and GEORGE GRIFFIN, ABC News
Two former Iraqi detainees tell ABC News in an exclusive interview that
they were repeatedly tortured by U.S. forces seeking information about
Saddam Hussein and weapons of mass destruction. Thahee Sabbar and Sherzad
Khalid are two of eight men who, with help from the American Civil
Liberties Union and the group Hum! an Rights First, are suing Defense
Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. The men claim they were tortured for months, in
violation of the U.S. Constitution and international law...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=0&p=17861&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17861

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.