[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 31 Oct 2005 - Part One]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Outing Valerie Plame put us all in Greater Danger
Mike Whitney
...The fact that the Bush administration’s highest ranking officials’
deliberately endangered national security to pursue a personal vendetta is
alarming, but equally disturbing is the fact that their behavior has
greatly enhanced the likelihood of nuclear weapons proliferation. By outing
Valerie Plame the administration has exposed the war on terror as a fraud.
Brewster Jennings and Associates was a vital part of the United State’s
covert strategy to! fight the spread of WMD. Cheney and his lieutenants
intentionally sabotaged that operation in an effort to destroy a personal
enemy of the Bush White House. Their action has put us all at greater
risk...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17316&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17316

The Threats Against Iraq and Syria and the Option of Resistance
The North American Committee against Zionism and Imperialism
The Editorial Board of the Free Arab Voice
As the month of Ramadan comes to an end, the threats on the resistance
option in Iraq, Palestine, and Syria are mounting. The Iraqi Resistance has
intensified its activities and has been hastening, with more success every
passing day, the US defeat in occupied Iraq. From the beginning, the
US-British Imperialists have been planning the destruct! ion of Iraq and
its fragmentation. The establishment of a Karzai-like government was only a
prelude to civil war. The Iraqi Resistance Report has helped uncover the
covert operations put forth by the US-British Imperialist alliance to stir
up sectarian strife and produce a civil war in Iraq. These operations are
highly classified and evil in their intent aiming at planting explosives in
civilian areas in Basra, Baghdad, and elsewhere...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17311&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17311

Bush's Crimes and Wounds, Deeper Than He or Neo-Cons Want to Admit
Sam Hamod
Now that the dust has settled on Scooter Libby's indictment, it is shameful
that Bush and his team, even those on Fox such as the absurdly ignorant Ann
Coulter and Bill O'Reilly, refuse to see how much the American people and
the world are angry at Bush and his aides, especially the mastermind of
this evil, Dick Cheney. Their attitude was voiced by Bush and Coulter who
both basically said, "Let's forget about what happened and put this b!
ehind us." Astounding? No, not for these people, or whatever they are...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17310&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17310

The Bush solution
Expand the war to Syria and Iran
Sara Flounders
"When faced with an unsolvable problem—expand the problem." This cynical
political advice supposedly hangs on the wall of U.S. Secretary of Defense
Donald Rumsfeld’s office. Today it is clear to the entire world that the
U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq is an unsolvable problem. It is a
howling blunder, an arrogant miscalculation by the political servants of
U.S. monopoly capital. Lt. Gen. William Odom, former director of the
Nationa! l Security Agency, has labeled it "the greatest strategic disaster
in United States history"...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17322&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17322

One Is Not A Bogus Number
Linda Zoblotsky
...Although we come from perspectives, I do agree with you that "2000" is a
bogus number. 2,000 is the number of U.S. military deaths that the Pentagon
chooses to release. The Pentagon only counts death by bombs and gunfire.
The Pentagon does not count heart attacks, strokes and illness leading to
the death of our men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. 2,000 is a
bogus number, because the number of Iraqi and Afghan women and children
dead is much higher. These inn! ocent people died from the U.S. weapons of
mass destruction, including depleted uranium used in U.S. weaponry which is
killing indiscriminately on both sides of the battle field..

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17320&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17320

Aziz: Corporate Media Smearing Galloway
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
Norm Coleman, take note. "Former Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tareq Aziz has
denied telling investigators that a maverick MP personally profited from
the U.N. oil-for-food programme for Iraq, Aziz’s lawyer said on Saturday,"
reports Reuters. "These are lies … he (Aziz) denied this," Badia Aref
remarked. "It is part of a media campaign aimed at smearing Galloway’s
reputation."...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17324&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17324

Why was Mehlis picked?
Xymphora
The UN could have picked any prosecutor in the world to investigate the
Hariri assassination, but chose a German prosecutor named Detlev Mehlis.
Mehlis was the prosecutor of the case of the 1982 bombing of the La Belle
Discotheque in West Berlin. This was blamed by Ronald Reagan on Libya,
which allowed Reagan to bomb Libya. We can analyze American involvement
with Libya with a much more cynical eye now that we have seen so clearly
how lies were used to manipulate the attack on Iraq! . Mehlis' entire
prosecution was heavily manipulated by American, Israeli and West German
intelligence agencies, and Mehlis played right along, a fact which
presumably made him perfect for the framing of Syria. Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed
writes...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17321&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17321

Hey NY Times: Go to Hell You Criminal Bastards!
Jesse, Editor, TvNewsLIES.org
The NY Times and the rest of the criminal corporate media are lying
bastards! I can not repeat this enough: none of the information related to
the Plame case that is being presented to the public by the corporate media
is new. It is almost as if they are visiting sites such as TvNewsLIES.org,
Buzzflash.com, Whatreallyhappened.com or the like and skimming through our
archives. They are printing 2-3 year old news stories as if they are su!
ddenly finding out new information during some kind of journalistic
investigation...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17318&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17318

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 30 October 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice
An Iraqi Resistance marksman shot and killed a US soldier in the ath-Thilah
area in the middle of ar-Ramadi at 2pm local time Sunday afternoon. The
ar-Ramadi correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported residents of
ath-Thilah who saw the incident as saying that an Iraqi Resistance
sharpshooter opened fire on a US soldier who was a part of a foot patrol
backed! up by four Humvees on the road to ar-Ramadi General Hospital. The
American soldier took a direct hit and fell dead instantly...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17317&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17317

Voices from the grave
The world's new Halloween reality
John Kaminski
...Hmm, how about getting rid of the white Western wraith known as the
American/British/Israeli war machine that is currently in the process of
enslaving the entire planet? What is the message of our archetypal
Halloween characters? What is it makes us thrill to horror? And most of
all, why is this fun holiday all too accurately reflected in the behavior
of our governments in their everyday affairs? Do we really hear what these
characters —! these ghosts — are telling us? The characters we choose to
portray on Halloween — Dracula, the Hunchback, and Dubya (I remember when
Reagan was the No. 1 mask on Halloween, for more or less the same
conscienceless behavior) — generally contain a message we want to send. Too
few of us heed the messages of the characters we choose to emulate or
represent. Isn't it time for some new Halloween characters? Ones that
actually have some meaning in the real world, instead of mythical mirages
from the pages of literature...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17305&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17305

US says bombs Qaeda house, Iraqis say 40 dead
Reuters
U.S. aircraft bombed a house near the Syrian border before dawn on Monday
in what the military said was a precision strike on an al Qaeda leader. A
local hospital doctor in the Iraqi town of Qaim said 40 people were killed
and 20 wounded, many of them women and children, and a tribal leader said
there were no guerrillas in the area (...) At the hospital, doctor Ammar
al-Marsoumi said he believed 40 civilians were killed and 20 wounded;
rescuers were still tryi! ng to remove bodies from the rubble, he added.
Mohammad al-Karbouli, a local tribal leader said: "There are no insurgents
in this area, they are all harmless families"...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17323&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17323

Tomgram: De la Vega, Bush's War, a Case of Presidential Fraud?
Tom Engelhardt & Elizabeth de la Vega
...Legally, there are no significant differences between the investor fraud
perpetrated by Enron CEO Ken Lay and the prewar intelligence fraud
perpetrated by George W. Bush. Both involved persons in authority who used
half-truths and recklessly false statements to manipulate people who
trusted them. There is, however, a practical difference: The presidential
fraud is wider in scope and far graver in its consequenc! es than the Enron
fraud. Yet thus far the public seems paralyzed...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17315&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17315

Syria accuses US of military raids
The Australian
SYRIA has accused the US of launching lethal military raids into its
territory from Iraq, escalating the diplomatic crisis between the two
countries as the Bush administration seeks to step up pressure on President
Bashar Assad's regime. Syrian army officer Amid Suleiman told Britain's
Sunday Telegraph newspaper that US cross-border attacks into Syria had
killed at least two border guards...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17314&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17314

GI Special 3C98: "This Job Isn't Done" - October 30, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
...Dear Sen. Kennedy, We still haven't heard your voice on the floor of the
Senate, demanding that our troops be brought home now. Nor have we heard
you, or your fellow Democratic Senators asking, "is now the time for us,
Sen. Roberts, to dive into phase II of the investigation to find out just
how this white house used the intelligence to take us into this illegal
war, that is costing our military families thousands of lives?" I am! the
mother of an Iraq Vet, who will most likely be facing a redeployment back
to a situation he already survived once as a 19 yr. old. Why won't you
protect him, and others, from becoming a statistic at age 20?...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17313&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17313

Rumsfeld, Most Avid reader of my articles - scary!
Maher Osseiran
...The following is an email that I send to the GI special website asking
them to communicate this fact and my articles to the GI in Iraq and
Afghanistan.
Rumsfeld's office whose IP (internet address) ends with osd.mil, osd stands
for Office of Secretary of Defense was the heaviest single entity to visit
and download the articles I write. All this happen in the last month after
I managed to post a link to one of my articles in a Washington Post blog.
I am forwarding this email because it best describes what I am going
through without having to rewrite it again...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17309&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17309

As Scooter Fades, Syria takes Front and Center
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
Now that the Plame-Wilson Fiasco is more or less over, it’s time for the
neocons to get back to business. "Syrian army officer Amid Suleiman told
Britain’s Sunday Telegraph newspaper that US cross-border attacks into
Syria had killed at least two border guards," reports the Australian. "The
charge follows leaks in Washington that the US has already engaged in
military raids into Syria and is contemplating launching special force! s
operations on Syrian soil to eliminate insurgent networks before they reach
Iraq, the report said." Of course, there are no "insurgents" in Syria,
unless one considers the Assad regime an insurgency...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17306&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17306

Unhappy Fitzmas
Xymphora
I've seen a few attempts to make the best of it, but Fitzmas was an
absolute slam-dunk victory for the neocons. 60 years? Libby won't do 60
minutes. It's actually the best thing that ever happened to him. He'll be
pardoned and have to spend a few years out of obvious political activity,
during which time he'll be given millions of dollars for his valiant
services to the Cause, but will be all ready to return in triumph to the
Cheney administration, when he can destroy whatever of the worl! d is still
left. Libby doesn't have to turn over anybody in the Administration because
he knows he won't do any time. Just like in the Mafia, a conviction adds to
your prestige...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17307&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17307

Bush: Treaty Outlawing Torture Doesn't Apply Beyond US Soil
Niko Kyriakou
Echoing recent comments by White House officials, a U.S. government report
submitted to the United Nations last Friday bears a message that the brutal
treatment of people held in U.S. military custody abroad is and should be
legal. The report, which was submitted to the UN's Human Rights Committee
and is designed to document U.S. compliance with the International Covenant
on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), fails to mention a number of U! .S
violations of the treaty that took place off of U.S. soil in places like
Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, human rights groups say...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17326&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17326

Demand for grave diggers and coffins soars in Baghdad
Ilham Mohammed, Azzaman
Baghdad grave diggers and coffin makers say they have never been as busy as
they are now. Prices are soaring, tempting other professionals to partake
their roaring success, they say. The escalating violence that has gripped
the country since the 2003 U.S-led invasion shows no signs of abating (...)
Muhanad said he rarely buries people who had died of natural causes. "Most
of the bodies brought to us are either killed by explosions or fi!
rearms"...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17301&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17301

US jails doctor for Iraq charity fraud
Aljazeera.net
A New York-based doctor who ran an unregistered charity has been sentenced
to 22 years in prison for cheating donors and illegally sending some of the
money to Iraq in violation of US sanctions. During brief remarks to the
court, Dr Rafil Dhafir on Thursday said prosecutors used "lies and
misrepresentations" to build a fraud and tax evasion case against him when
it could not link him to terrorism. "It is my belief that my incarceration
was, is and will always b! e political," said the Iraqi-born Dhafir, who
has maintained all along that he was innocent and that the charges against
him are politically motivated...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17300&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17300

The Libby Indictment
Beginning of the End? Watergate 2005? Gotterdammerung for the Bushies?
ALEXANDER COCKBURN and JEFFREY ST. CLAIR
Scooter Libby was the lawyer who got the charges dropped against
billionaire scamster Marc Rich back in Clintontime. But that had more to do
with Rich's billions than with any legal talents Libby may have. On the
evidence of the indictment brought by special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald
on Friday, October 28, one fact stands out: SCOOTER LIBBY IS INCREDIBLY
STUPID. And t! his is what CounterPunch gets from the Fitzgerald indictment
as a whole. Special prosecutor Fitzgerald could have suggested that there
is a cancer growing on the presidency, metastasizing out of Dick Cheney's
suite. He could have stated, or even hinted that yesterday's indictment of
Libby is the first drum roll in a mighty symphony of prosecutorial
onslaughts on felonious conduct in high places. But special prosecutor
Fitzgerald did none of these things...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=17298&s2=31>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=17298

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.