Update on UFPJ Sept. 24-26 Mobilization in D.C.

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 |

Help promote the fall anti-war mobilization!

Sept. 24 Stickers Now Available
at $25 for a pack of 500.

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=3&url=https://secure.unitedforpeace.org/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78>Click
here to order
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=4&url=https://secure.unitedforpeace.org/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78>

UPDATE ON UFPJ SEPTEMBER MOBILIZATION

September 24-26: End the War on Iraq!

Three Days of Peace & Justice Actions in Washington, D.C.

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=5&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/septmobe>www.unitedforpeace.org/septmobe

In this alert:

1. <>New Leaflets Linking Anti-War and Global Justice Protests
2. <>Anti-War Fair Expands to Become Peace & Justice Festival
3. <>Operation Ceasefire Concert on September 24
4. <>D.C. Volunteers Needed!
5. <>List Your Transportation on Our Ride Board
6.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=6&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>We
Need Your Financial Support

Organizing for UFPJ’s September 24-26 Washington, D.C. mobilization against
the war in Iraq is heating up all around the country. With Bush on the
defensive, and an ever-increasing majority of Americans convinced the
invasion was a mistake, groups large and small are making their plans to
join us in standing up against the war.

A few examples: More than 200 families of active-duty military personnel
are making plans to march in Washington on September 24, under the banner
of Military Families Speak Out. Activists in Montgomery County, Maryland
have been leafleting festivals and fairs since July. Local 1199 of the
Service Employees International Union has already filled 20 buses from New
York City. The National Organization for Women has endorsed the protest and
is actively mobilizing its membership.

Do your part! Talk to your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers and
urge them to come to Washington.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=7&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/leaflets>Download
our leaflets and distribute widely.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=8&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/septmobe>Post
a link to our mobilizing section to your blog or website - or, better yet,
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=9&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2893>post
one of our web banners. And please make the most generous donation you can
to support our organizing efforts!

1. Linking Anti-War and Global Justice Protests: New Leaflets Available
September 24-26 is also the weekend that the World Bank and International
Monetary Fund (IMF), U.S.-dominated institutions that design and enforce
the rules of the global economy, hold their annual meetings in Washington,
D.C. Organizations working towards a just global economy, such as the
Washington, D.C.-based Mobilization for Global Justice, are calling for
protests against these institutions during their meetings. Uniting protests
against war and economic injustice presents an historic opportunity to
increase public awareness of how militaristic U.S. foreign policy, and the
global economic policies of the U.S. and other wealthy countries, are
inextricably intertwined.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=10&url=http://unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3072>Download
our new mobilizing leaflets and factsheets that make the links between
global war and global greed.

2. Anti-War Fair Expands, Renamed Peace & Justice Festival

There has been so much enthusiasm and excitement around our planned
"anti-war fair" on September 24-25 that we have dramatically expanded the
event and renamed it the Peace & Justice Festival. We will have more than a
dozen large themed tents, featuring vibrant displays and a vast array of
organizing resources. There will be a tent dedicated to the war's impact on
the Iraqi people; a tent for veterans, military families, and Gold Star
families; a counter-recruitment tent; a global justice tent; a Palestine
tent; and much, much more. The festival will also feature art
installations, including a giant Peace Thunderbird puppet, a photo exhibit
from past UFPJ mobilizations, and a project to commemorate those killed in
Iraq through the creation of mounds of skull eggs. If you have a display or
art project that you would like to have considered for inclusion in the
festival, please email
<mailto:festival at unitedforpeace.org?Aug.%2023%20Blast%20Response%20Regarding%20Festival>festival
at unitedforpeace.org.

Tabling space at the festival will be available for a modest fee for groups
that wish to distribute literature or sell merchandise. A form to sign up
for table space will be available on our website next week.

3. Operation Ceasefire Concert
"Operation Ceasefire," a huge free concert on the Washington Monument
Grounds, is being organized for the late afternoon and evening of Saturday,
September 24, after the massive anti-war march concludes. It will feature
musical acts such as: Thievery Corporation, punk rock and independent
musicians LeTigre, Bouncing Souls, and Ted Leo & The Pharmacists; country
music artist Steve Earle, rock and soul band the Bellrays; Latin musicians
MacheTres, and socially conscious hip-hop groups The Coup and Head-Roc. For
more details, visit
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=11&url=http://www.opceasefire.org>www.opceasefire.org.

4. D.C. Volunteers Needed!
To make this mobilization as powerful as it can be, we need huge numbers of
volunteers to help out from September 24-26. If you live in the greater
Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and can volunteer your time on one or
more days during the mobilization weekend,
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=12&url=http://unitedforpeace.org/modinput4.php?modin=103>please
sign up, using our online form.

5. List Your Transportation on Our Transportation Board
Organizing a bus, a train, or a van to D.C.? Have extra seats in your
car?<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=13&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/transport>List
the information on our transportation board today! This will help others in
your area to find you, and it will give us a better sense of how many
buses, trains, car caravans, etc. to expect. And if you know someone else
who is organizing travel to D.C. please ask them to list their information
as well.

6. We Need Your Financial Support
Thanks to the many of you who responded to our last request for funds, your
support means a great deal! Our goal for the online portion of our Sept.
24-26 fund appeal is $30,000, and so far we have raised about $10,000 in
online donations. We need to ask all of you to take a moment right now to
make the largest donation possible. It is the support of individuals from
every corner of the country that makes it possible for us to take on the
organizing of such an ambitious weekend of actions. The money you donate is
immediately put to good use, and we need that support right now.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=32292445&url_num=14&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>Click
here to make a much-needed contribution TODAY, or call 212-868-5545 to
donate by phone. Thank you so much for your generous support.

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/fallmobe>
END THE WAR ON IRAQ!
BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW!

3 Days of Peace & Justice Actions
in Washington, D.C.

September 24-26, 2005

Visit our website today to download leaflets, endorse the mobilization, and
learn more about the plans for this powerful weekend of action.

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/septmobe>www.unitedforpeace.org/septmobe

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
To subscribe, visit
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email>www.unitedforpeace.org/email
To unsubscribe, visit