Lessons from the North

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/dossier.asp?id=188>
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/dossier.asp?id=188>Lessons from the North
Economic stagnation, an ageing population and neo-liberalism are
threatening welfare states across Europe. Would the adoption of a
Scandinavian-style system cure all our ills, or is it a model itself in
need of treatment?

Anne Glase - Osnabr¸ck

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=4340>Europe's star pupils
in social responsibility
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=4340>As continental Europe
groans under the pressure of rising unemployment and as Britain battles
with the problem of the 'working poor', Scandinavians can sleep soundly at
night: a solid economy and social security have become mutually compatible.

Julia Mills - Paris

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1344>"Official figures do
not tell the whole story"
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1344>In an interview with
<i>café babel</i>, Johnny Munkhammar of Timbro, the free market think-tank
of Swedish Enterprise, explains that the Scandinavian model is not all it's
cracked up to be.

Maximilian Conrad & Hulda Herjolfsdottir Skogland - Oslo

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1348>Iceland's EU ageing remedy
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1348>While aware of the
pace at which our societies are ageing, Europe seems unable to develop
societal models that allow our young women to combine ambitious careers
with the desire to raise families. Except in Iceland.

Victoria Donovan - Bruxelles

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1349>A model model?
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1349>Scandinavia is often
seen as a kind of utopia by the rest of Europe, as a region where economic
strength and a solid welfare system live in harmony. But what do
Scandinavians themselves think about their 'perfect' system?

Ángel Alonso Arroba - Washington

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=4344>Exporting welfare to
the world stage?
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=4344>The Scandinavian model
has an international aspect that must not be ignored: pacifism and equality
in international relations.

Nora S. Stampfl - Berlin

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=4342>Land of luxurious living?
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=4342>Sweden, with its
cradle to grave welfare system and free market, is seen as the economic
role model for Europe. But does it deserve its reputation as the land of
the happy tax-payer even after closer examination?

If you don't wish to receive this newsletter anymore, click
<http://www.cafebabel.com/mailer/easylist.asp>here
Contact <mailto:webmaster at cafebabel.com>Webmaster