[uruknet] _ NL 20 June - Part One

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

FLASHBACK: British Intelligence Iraq Dossier Relied on Recycled Academic
Articles
Glen Rangwala, www.globalresearch.ca
US Secretary of State Colin Powell, in his presentation to the Security
Council on February 5, sought to reinforce his argument by referring to a
recently released British report. He said: “I would call my colleagues'
attention to the fine paper that the United Kingdom distributed . . . which
describes in exquisite detail Iraqi deception activities.” Powell was
referring to "Iraq Its Infrastructu! re Of Concealment, Deception And
Intimidation", published on January 30, 2003. The Downing Street authors
state they drew "upon a number of sources, including intelligence material"
(p.1, first sentence). In fact, they copied material from at least three
different authors and gave no credit to them. Indeed, they plagiarized,
directly cutting and pasting or near quoting. A close textual analysis
suggests that the UK authors had little access to first-hand intelligence
sources and instead based their work on academic papers, which they
selectively distorted...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12804&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12804

Occupation-made Hunger in Iraq
Ghali Hassan, www.globalresearch.ca
While Western media and Western pundits are busy arguing and ranting about
the lies and pretexts that led to US-Britain war on Iraq, the Iraqi people
are suffering from shortages of food and the daily brutality of the
Occupation. The new propaganda twist provides a perfect smokescreen for the
continuing US crimes against the Iraqi people. In addition to the
disastrous living condition brought to Iraq by the US war, a recent report
by the United Na! tions World Food Programme (WFP), which monitors the
distribution of rations, found the majority of the Iraqi population lack
the required daily calories to survive and remain healthy...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12805&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12805

Al-Qaim II
Snipers' Indiscriminate Killings: Testimonies of Civilian Casualties
(Dedicated to the UN, with Documents)
Sabah Ali, BRussells Tribunal
While we were writing this report , Dr .H Al-Aaloossy , the director of
Al-Qaim General Hospital sent a call for help (June 20,2005) to the
international community asking for lifting the military siege imposed by
the American and British troops on Al-Qaim and the neighboring areas, and
to let the ambulances evacuate the wounded. He also called upon the! se
troops to stop the blood bath, and to let water, electricity, and medical
help reach the civilians. He said that tens of families are buried under
the rubbles and no medical help can reach them. He confirmed that the
majority of the casualties were civilians, women and children...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12800&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12800

The second UN resolution
Xymphora
Those who buy the Blair-Bush revisionist history that the attack on Iraq
wasn't inevitable as the U. S. and Britain went to the United Nations to
obtain the required resolution might wonder what the hell Colin Powell was
doing appearing before the U. N., and lying to the U. N., on February 5,
2003. Of course, the reason he was there was to try to convince the U. N.
to approve the resolution that Blair's legal advisors were telling him was
still required, as the first U. N. resolu! tion, the one referred to by
Bush and Blair, wasn't sufficient for Britain to go to war. When Britain
didn't get the second resolution, and went to war anyway, the woman who
wrote the opinion saying that the resolution was required, Elizabeth
Wilmshurst, resigned...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12806&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12806

A matter of education...
Sheila Samples, SmirkingChimp.com
...Are Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, et al, liars? Of course. But like
VandeHei said, our education in how to succeed in genocide without even
trying will continue next week, because maintaining control through
paralyzing scare tactics is their only -- their one and only -- option on
the table. They are completely without shame; completely without answers,
and they don't care. And, if we don't like it, we have two choices. We can
start humping our own leg! s or bend over and let them do it...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12799&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12799

The Insurgent Word: Impeachment
Gerard Donnelly Smith, Axis of Logic
...How does one resist the Bush Regime's blatant disregard for national
sovereignty, individual freedoms, and constitutional laws protecting each
American's right to a fair election? Former US Attorney General Ramsey
Clark and Francis Boyle, Professor of Law, have both drafted an
"Impeachment Resolution Against President George W. Bush" while Ralph Nader
and Kevin Zeese argue in the Boston Globe that "THE IMPEACHMENT of
President Bush and Vice! President Cheney, under Article II, Section 4 of
the Constitution, should be part of mainstream political discourse." John
R. MacArthur, publisher of Harper's Magazine, in "Unmasking a CIA Agent is
Bad, Lying to Congress Worse...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12798&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12798

Tomgram: Mark Danner on Smoking Signposts to Nowhere
Tom Engelhardt & Mark Danner
Imagine that the Pentagon Papers or the Watergate scandal had broken out
all over the press -- no, not in the New York Times or the Washington Post,
but in newspapers in Australia or Canada. And that, facing their own
terrible record of reportage, of years of being cowed by the Nixon
administration, major American papers had decided that this was not a story
worthy of being covered. Imagine that, initially, they dismis! sed the
revelatory documents and information that came out of the heart of
administration policy-making; then almost willfully misread them, insisting
that evidence of Pentagon planning for escalation in Vietnam or of Nixon
administration planning to destroy its opponents was at best ambiguous or
even nonexistent; finally, when they found that the documents wouldn't go
away, they acknowledged them more formally with a tired ho-hum, a knowing
nod on editorial pages or in news stories...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12797&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12797

Fake memo?
Xymphora
The same group of scheming Republican operatives who were behind the attack
on the credibility of CBS in the so-called 'Rathergate' matter are back in
business on the Downing Street Memo, claiming that it and the other similar
documents must be fake. They come to this conclusion despite the fact that
the entire British government has accepted that the documents are genuine,
and despite the fact they have never seen the originals! This would be
laughable except that the disgusting American medi! a, needing an excuse
now that it has been caught red-handed in the cover-up of the British
documents, will be grasping at any straw to try to regain some of its lost
credibility, and will no doubt play up the fake angle as much as possible...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12795&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12795

Disaster is much closer than it appears
Xymphora
...I've been reading articles for at least four years now that the neocons
are on the way out, and I've seen absolutely nothing to support it. They
appear to be succeeding in destroying the United Nations and appear to have
undermined the moderates in the Iranian elections. Their campaign to break
up Iraq by creating a civil war continues as planned. I've been reading
that Bush has gone too far over and over again, that he is a lame duck
President, or that he has l! ost this issue or that issue, but I see no
evidence for any of these things. In fact, the Republican agenda at he
beginning of Bush's first term is, if anything, ahead of schedule...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12793&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12793

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 19 June 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
...In a dispatch posted at 3:30pm Mecca time Sunday afternoon, the
correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in al-Qa’im reported that Dr. Hamdi
al-Alusi, the Director of al-Qa’im General Hospital, had announced that
there were still more than 70 victims of the American attack on his city
buried under the rubble of their homes. He sa! id that among those more
than 40 were the remains of women and children. Dr. al-Alusi told Mafkarat
al-Islam that more dead and wounded civilians had been brought to the
hospital than had been expected at the start of the American offensive...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12792&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12792

Iraqi official accuses US of 'indiscriminate killing' in western Iraq
Monsters and Critics.com
An Iraqi official has accused the US forces of "indiscriminate killing" and
destruction in the Iraqi town of Al-Qa'im, on the Syrian border. Speaking
to Al-Jazeera TV on 18 June, Abd-al-Khaliq al-Rawi, director of
telecommunications in Al-Qa'im, said that the town's residents had begun
acts of "civil disobedience" in protest at the killings. Al-Rawi told the
channel that US snipers were killing people every day in the ! town's
market. "These actions have increased in the past week. There are innocent
victims on a daily basis," he said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12791&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12791

Half of Iraqis poor, no baby milk in Baghdad
DrReason, Daily Kos
I can't believe this. The outrage never ends (...) The UN World Food
Program, which monitors the distribution of rations, recently reported
''significant countrywide shortages of rice, sugar, milk, and infant
formula." Families in Baghdad haven't received sugar or baby milk since
January. Newspapers have also begun reporting that the tea and flour
handouts contain metal filings and that people have fallen ill after
consuming food rations. NO BABY MILK IN BAGHDAD SINCE JANUARY?
UNBELIEVABLE! I AM SO GODDAMN ANGRY! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? (...) What kind
of freedom is this? Freedom from food?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12790&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12790

They Had a Coup d'etat and We Weren't Invited...Now It's Our Turn
ROSEMARIE JACKOWSKI , Axis of Logic
Exactly when was it that the citizens of the United States lost their
country? When did the coup take place and how did I miss it? Maybe I was
rotating my tires that night. There is plenty of evidence that somewhere
along the line, we all have lost any influence that we might have had as
citizens. Think about the Downing Street Memo. That should be enough to
convince even the most ardent fan of the Republican or ! Democratic Party.
That memo is just an echo of the Project for a New American Century.
Amnesty International has recently released a report about the Archipelago
of U.S. gulags...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12780&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12780

The US war with Iran has already begun
Scott Ritter, Aljazeera.net
President Bush had signed a covert finding in late spring 2002, which
authorised the CIA and US Special Operations forces to dispatch clandestine
units into Iraq for the purpose of removing Saddam Hussein from power. The
fact is that the Iraq war had begun by the beginning of summer 2002, if not
earlier (...) By the intensity of the "liberation/democracy" rhetoric
alone, Americans should be put on notice that Iran is well-fixed in the
cross-hairs! as the next target for the illegal policy of regime change
being implemented by the Bush administration. But Americans, and indeed
much of the rest of the world, continue to be lulled into a false sense of
complacency by the fact that overt conventional military operations have
not yet commenced between the United States and Iran. As such, many hold
out the false hope that an extension of the current insanity in Iraq can be
postponed or prevented in the case of Iran. But this is a fool's dream. The
reality is that the US war with Iran has already begun...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12776&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12776

Bush’s Lies Just Keep On Rolling
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
...Good luck, Dubya. Victory is not at hand and it slips further out of
reach with every passing day as more and more Iraqis get fed up with the
occupation and its criminal behavior. If there are “terrorists” in Iraq,
the vast majority of them are the Iraqi people who are increasingly
determined not to allow “a bunch of wealthy billionaires” take over their
country and make their lives “miserable.” On the day Bush is forced to
helicopter embas! sy staff and occupation collaborators out of the Green
Zone, it will be interesting to tune in his radio address—that is if he
bothers to deliver one...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12788&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12788

Bomb kills many at Iraq police roll call
Aljazeera.net
At least 13 police officers have been killed and more than 107 others
injured after a car bomb exploded in Arbil targeting a traffic police
training centre, the health minister in Iraqi Kurdistan has told Aljazeera.
Aljazeera's correspondent in Arbil, Ahmad al-Zawiti, said guards opened
fire at the explosive-laden car as it entered the centre...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12809&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12809

Contractor alleging abuse in Iraq says he feared U.S. forces more than
insurgents
SCOTT SONNER, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Peter Ginter learned what it was like to be a prisoner of war in combat
training exercises, so he had an idea of what to expect last month when he
was roughed up, stripped and locked in a 6-by-8-foot cell in Iraq. But the
ex-Marine never imagined his captors would be U.S. military personnel. And
he never dreamed they would hand him a Quran and a prayer rug, and treat
him like the enemy for the nex! t 72 hours...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12785&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12785

UK had advance alert of jail abuse
Jamie Doward, The Observer
The British army's senior military lawyer in Iraq was aware of allegations
that human rights abuses were being committed at the notorious Abu Ghraib
prison months before they were exposed by the American media. The lawyer,
who compiled regular written and oral briefings for his seniors within the
British army's high command, was responsible for summarising a litany of
abuses identified by the Red Cross after the charity visited the prison in
October 20! 03...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12786&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12786

Wood freed, but what about Iraq?
Green Left Weekly
Douglas Wood, the US-based, Australian construction contractor held for six
weeks by Iraqi resistance fighters, has been freed. But what about the
hundreds of Arabic- speaking and Turkomen Iraqis who have been abducted at
gunpoint in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk by Kurdish forces backed by
the US military?The June 15 Washington Post reported that at least 250
Iraqis in Kirkuk have been abducted and are being held hostage by Kurdish
militias that work ! with the US occupation forces...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12782&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12782

Archaeologists fight to save Iraqi sites
Owen Bowcott, The Guardian
"The situation has become desperate since the end of the war," said Bill
Blake, who is the head of English Heritage's Metric Survey Team and
recently returned from running courses in neighbouring Jordan. "State
control has effectively collapsed and people are helping themselves to
whatever they can get. They are taking material for building or digging for
antiquities to be sold abroad (...) "There are a number of bases which are
still too close t! o ancient sites," Mr Palumbo revealed. "There's one near
Ur and another near Kirkuk. Both are American, I believe. It's impossible
to know what damage is being done"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12783&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12783

WMD claims were 'totally implausible'
Richard Norton-Taylor, The Guardian
A key Foreign Office diplomat responsible for liaising with UN inspectors
says today that claims the government made about Iraq's weapons programme
were "totally implausible". He tells the Guardian: "I'd read the
intelligence on WMD for four and a half years, and there's no way that it
could sustain the case that the government was presenting. All of my
colleagues knew that, too"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=12784&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=12784

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.