[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 26 Apr 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

WHY?
Malcom Lagauche
Why did the U.S. destroy Iraq? If you pose that question to 10 people, you
will get 10 different answers: oil; to stop Saddam's aggression; to bring
democracy to Iraq; to stop terrorism; to destroy Iraq's weapons of mass
destruction; and many more. In the case of oil and greed, there is some
value in taking these aspects into consideration. However, in my opinion,
there are two major reasons for the destruction of Iraq: Israel, and more
importantly, Saddam Hussein never said, "I give up." I h! ave read many
analyses about the invasion of Iraq and some are outright bogus, such as
bringing democracy to Iraq, while others have some merit, such as
imperialistic designs. However, only a person born and brought up in the
United States will be able to give the reason on which I am going to
elaborate. It deals with Saddam not giving up...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11307&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11307

Deer in the headlights
Searching for the truth is ugly, frightening and dangerous — and the only
worthwhile choice
John Kaminski
...People (them again) always ask me, "How can you read all those horrible
stories day after day and not be affected by them; how can you keep from
slitting your wrists?" or something along those lines. It's a question I
don't usually answer. But when I try to, I think of that series of photos
taken at a checkpoint in Iraq in which triggerhappy U.S. troops shot f!
irst and asked questions later, later to find six terrified and bleeding
children in the car that rolled to a stop. I think of that little bleeding
girl screaming over her butchered parents, and U.S. soldiers wearing masks
to hide their identities from the photographer. That little girl is my
boss. And the rage I feel at the people who put her in that position, I'm
telling you, is simply more than you want to hear. Why do I do what I do,
and how can I stand what I have to look at? I work for that little girl,
and if you don't too, then you have a problem with me...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11327&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11327

Fear: A Political Tool
Ghali Hassan, Countercurrents.org
The rise of the politics of fear has become central to US imperial agenda.
In order to sell its "war on terror" and the war on Iraq, the Bush
administration turned to fear to manipulate the public. Just before the war
on Iraq, US and British politicians played on people's fear of an imagined
enemy and fabricate an "imminent threat" to justify a war of aggression
against a defenceless nation. Fear is the instrument of those in power to
manufacture consent in! order to imperil civil liberties and pursue
rejected policy...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11318&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11318

Insurgency and counterinsurgency in South Baghdad. Abu Ghraib
Second message of the Spanish Delegation of CEOSI in Iraq
IraqSolidaridad (www.nodo50.org/iraq), 24 de abril de 2005
"The arc of brutality and provocation of the US troops in Abu Ghraib town
goes from killing a boy of 12 years old, dead some days ago by the shots of
a military vehicle while crossing the highway with a gas cylinder, to the
dead of a dog during a house searching; after receiving two shots and be
finished off in the hea! d, the soldier showed up his thumb in front of the
family with satisfaction"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11312&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11312

British Government Ordered Shutdown Of Fake Ricin Story
Propaganda Matrix
The British government has ordered a D-notice clampdown on details relating
to the ricin terror ring story which was exposed as being fake last week.
Inside sources from the Guardian newspaper in London have confirmed that
the reason the Guardian article 'The ricin ring that never was,' was
removed from its website was due to a direct order from the government.
Several other websites worldwide have also removed the article but it is
still a! vailable on numerous websites, Rense.com being one...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11326&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11326

Bush: you will for ever be a criminal
Abu Assur
Bush the criminal ! You have booked your seat and place to attend Pope
John-Paul II, funerals. No no, whom are you kidding? Don't think one second
that the world will ever forget who you are! A criminal, a murderer and you
came whimpering and shedding crocodiles tears with Laura on the deceased
Holy man. Playing monkey business in front of the cameras in Rome, will
never help. For sure, again you will slip like a bandit in some desert
street from the world ire. Agai! n you will be sullying the Eternal City
with your filthy petrol and napalm smelling breath, and arms dangling
dripping with Iraqi innocent blood...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11328&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11328

Abu Ghraib prisoner seeks justice one year after scandal
AFP - Iraqwar.ru
Ali al-Shalal, nicknamed "clawman" by his US guards, said they attached
electrodes to his body and tortured him at the height of the abuse scandal
at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison. And he describes going through the same agony
as a man in an infamous photo of a black-hooded prisoner, dressed like the
grim reaper, humiliated and standing on a crate, with wires running from
his body that captured the spirit of sadism in the US-run detention centre!
. A year after the revelations of rampant sexual and physical abuse leaked
to the media, the 42-year-old Shalal has rebuilt his life, fighting for
those abused in Iraq's US-run prisons...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11329&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11329

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 25 April 2005.
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
...US occupation forces backed up by Iraqi puppet troops launched a massive
military campaign at dawn on Monday against al-'Amiriyah, (25km south of
al-Fallujah), al-Bu 'Isa, (20km west of al-Fallujah), and as-Saqlawiyah
(20km north of al-Fallujah). The Americans called their operation "cut off
the wing" in reference to those towns! in the suburbs of al-Fallujah. The
correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported a source in the Iraqi puppet
army as saying that more than 100 US military vehicles with helicopter
gunships providing air cover attacked the towns with Iraqi puppet troops in
tow...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11325&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11325

All the Reasons Why "We can't leave Iraq"
…. and Why All Those Reasons are Wrong
Revolutionary Worker Online
The cold injustice of the U.S. invasion of Iraq stands out starkly. The
justifications for war were lies: Iraq had no nukes or bio-weapons. It had
no ties with groups like al-Qaida. The British medical journal The Lancet
estimates 100,000 Iraqi civilians have died in this war--while over 1,500
U.S. troops have also been killed. And there is no end in sight. The people
of Iraq overwhelmingly see ! the U.S. as brutal occupiers--and these
sentiments fuel the armed resistance. On April 9, over 300,000 people in
Baghdad demanded that U.S. forces leave their country--many from the city's
massive Shi'ite slums. And yet, within the U.S., it is far too common to
hear people say, "The invasion was wrong, but we can't just leave before
stability is restored."...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11311&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11311

Five myths and realities of US empire
James Petras, Rebelión
...There is no question that the US Empire is still expanding and that it
has successfully surrounded Russia and China, and its MNCs have succeeded
in lowering costs and increasing profits via relocation. The strategic
weakness of the US Empire is found in its failed military interventions and
in the systematic destruction of its techno-productive structure within the
US. As the "superstructure" of the Empire grows, the "domestic ba! se" in
the Republic is rapidly collapsing; demagogic politicians promote mystical
religious fundamentalism, military chauvinism and mass speculation in real
estate...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11308&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11308

The predictable whitewash of the killing of Nicola Calipari
Xymphora
The Pentagon is going to come out with a predictable whitewash of the
checkpoint incident in which Nicola Calipari was killed. Giuliana Sgrena
has consistently stuck to her story that American authorities lied about
the incident. Although there was supposed to be a joint investigation with
Italian authorities, who were to have been given full cooperation from the
Americans, apparently full cooperation doesn't go as far as allowing the
Italians t! o actually see the car. Wouldn't want to give them an unfair
advantage...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11321&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11321

Nothing': US WMD Inspector Finishes Iraq Work
KATHERINE SHRADER, Associated Press Writer
Wrapping up his investigation into Saddam Hussein's purported arsenal, the
CIA's top weapons hunter in Iraq said his search for weapons of mass
destruction "has been exhausted" without finding any. Nor did he find any
evidence that such weapons were shipped officially from Iraq to Syria to be
hidden before the U.S. invasion, but he couldn't rule out some unofficial
transfer of limited WMD-related materials...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11324&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11324

US says Iraqi insurgent threat grows again
AFP
Iraqi insurgents have shown improved coordination and greater tactical
sophistication in a new surge of attacks following a sharp decline after
national elections in January, US defense officials said. The increased
violence comes amid a stalemate over the formation of a new Iraqi
government, which US officials worry is dissipating an opportunity opened
by the January 30 elections to undercut Sunni support for the insurgency...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11323&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11323

They Were Young Once, and Fit
Sheila Samples
...Thanks to the morally bereft Bush father-son duo, as well as the morally
challenged Bill Clinton, we are rapidly becoming an endangered species. The
culprit is Depleted Uranium (DU), the neat little nuclear weapon of choice
these three presidents unleashed upon Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq,
turning them into toxic wastelands and condemning anyone on their soil to a
slow, agonizing death from radiation. America -- do you know where your
children are tonight?! There is no excuse for not knowing the consequences
of DU...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11317&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11317

Rumsfeld and Abu Ghraib
JOANNE MARINER
...Human Rights Watch's exhaustively-documented report names the top
officials, both civilian and military, that it believes should be
investigated for crimes against detainees. Its list starts with Secretary
of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and goes on to include George Tenet, the former
CIA director; Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, U.S. military commander in Iraq
from June 2003 to July 2004; and Gen. Geoffrey Miller, the U.S. military
commander at Guantanamo...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11320&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11320

Prime Minister Chalabi?
How a proven liar, embezzler, and Iranian double agent could become prime
minister of "liberated Iraq"
Justin Raimondo, Antiwar.com
...What the moderates and Iraqi secularists, including the followers of
neocon sock puppet Ahmed Chalabi, couldn't win at the polls, they may yet
steal in a series of murky backroom deals. The outcome of the process set
up by American diktat may well end up with Chalabi at the helm, as per the
original neocon plan. The infamous "hero in er! ror," you'll remember, had
a falling out with the U.S. after it was revealed that he passed vital
American intelligence to his allies and paymasters in Tehran...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11315&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11315

The Devil Made Him Do It
Sanchez evades accountability for 'unfortunate incidents' at Abu Ghraib
Dr. Teresa Whitehurst
General Sanchez has indeed, to our great non-surprise, been found guilty of
authorizing abuses of prisoners at Abu Ghraib, yet marvelously innocent of
having anything to do with those unfortunate incidents. Mr. Sanchez has
been freed by Mr. Bush's Pentagon of any responsibility for the brutal and
bizarre tortures and killings made possible by the good general's
decisions. Wh! y? Because, poor thing, the devil made him do it...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11313&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11313

4 U.S. Marines killed in Humvee rigged with scrap metal
Michael Moss, Axis of Logic
With the U.S. Senate's approval of $81 billion more, jacking the war budget
to over $300 billion; with Marine Humvees armored with scrap metal; with
the so-called "new Iraqi Government" hiding behind barracades; with the
real Iraqi Army - the Resistance -continuing to execute successful military
operations on a daily basis; with the U.S.-trained Iraqi "army" and
"police" receiving blistering and fatal attacks every day; and with U! .S.
soldiers rebelling against their command, when their buddies die ... We
ask, When will the people of the United States demand that their government
admit its defeat and bring the troops home from this miserable, failed
invasion, occupation and slaughter of civilians?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11309&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11309

Iraq "Uptick," Superpower Downtick?
Tom Engelhardt, Tom Dispatch.com
...Will George Bush or the next President appear one day on television to
address our country's "great silent majority," and bitterly swear that "we
will not be defeated," as Richard Nixon did on April 30, 1970 in announcing
his disastrous decision to invade Cambodia? Perhaps that President will,
like Nixon, speak angrily of our country not acting like "a pitiful
helpless giant." ("If, when the chips are down, the world's most powerful
nation, t! he United States of America, acts like a pitiful, helpless
giant, the forces of totalitarianism and anarchy will threaten free nations
and free institutions throughout the world.") But in 2006 or 08 or 10,
perhaps we will have taken on the actual look of a pitiful, helpless giant
and perhaps elsewhere there will be people crowing about how our country
was laid low, about how the globe's sole superpower, its last empire, had
in essence destroyed itself...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11310&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11310

US soldiers cleared in Sgrena probe
Aljazeera.net
US investigators have exonerated American troops who shot dead an Italian
agent while he escorted an abducted journalist to the Baghdad airport soon
after securing her release. An Army official said that US investigators
have found that American troops who shot at the Italian intelligence
officer Nicola Calipari did nothing wrong. The official also said the
troops would consequently not be disciplined...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11306&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11306

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 24 April 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
...Mafkarat al-Islam in Iraq reported that US troops arrested two Iraqi
journalists on Sunday: Muhammad Mahmud who works for the newspaper
al-Kalimah published in ar-Ramadi in al-Anbar Province, and the second Sa
'd al-A'zami working for the monthly Sunni magazine al-Murud in Baghdad
because of articles they wrote in their respectiv! e publications last
Thursday. Spies led the Americans to the homes of the two journalists,
according to their colleagues whom correspondents for Mafkarat al-Islam
interviewed to learn the background to the arrests...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=11305&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=11305

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.