At Least 765 Anti-War Actions Around the U.S.

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
AT LEAST 765 ANTI-WAR ACTIONS AROUND THE U.S.
MARK TWO-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF IRAQ INVASION

In at least 765 towns and cities around the United States, people gathered
for peace last weekend on the two-year anniversary of invasion of Iraq.
Thousands marched, rallied, participated in religious services, and
solemnly read the names of those who have been killed in this unjustified
and futile war.

The extraordinary breadth of the weekend's anti-war activities reflect the
vitality of grassroots peace activism. Anti-war events were held in all 50
states, and in more than twice as many communities as during last year's
anniversary of the war.

Bad weather throughout the country didn't deter people from taking to the
streets for peace. Sister Bay, Wisconsin, saw a doubling in the number of
local residents willing to protest publicly against the war, as six people
braved a snowstorm to display peace signs to passing cars. Despite pouring
rain, more than 300 people took part in a two-mile anti-war march in
Tucson, Arizona.

There were courageous acts of civil resistance: Thirty-five people occupied
the office today of Congressman Tom Allen in Portland, Maine, to protest
his recent vote in favor of the $82 billion war appropriation. Seventy
people shut down a military recruiting center in Eugene, Oregon, for an
entire day. In New York City, thirty people were arrested at simultaneous
civil disobedience actions at military recruiting centers in Brooklyn and
Manhattan.

Many events featured family members of active-duty soldiers, veterans of
this and previous wars, and relatives of slain servicepeople, all speaking
out against the continued U.S. military occupation of Iraq. In
Fayetteville, North Carolina, the home of Ft. Bragg, more than 4000 people
joined military families and vets to say real support for the troops means
bringing them home. It was the largest protest there since Vietnam.

We've now received reportbacks from more than 175 different communities
where anti-war events took place. (If you haven't sent yours in yet, please
write to reportback at unitedforpeace.org) The reports we received from
smaller towns and cities are particularly inspiring, reflecting a real
growth in anti-war sentiment and organizing in many conservative areas of
the country.

Some examples:

In Sandpoint, Idaho -- a town with a population of about 7000, in a county
that voted almost 2-1 for Bush over Kerry -- a lively crowd of 195 people
took part in a peace march through town, and 120 attended a community forum
on war and peace. "The energy was great. Democracy is burgeoning!" wrote
Evan Martin, one of the organizers.

In Barre, Vermont, a group of 70-100 people held a vigil in front of the
Barre Army Recruitment Center. "Though Barre is typically a conservative
town many cars and SUVs on this very busy main road were honking in favor
of the vigil," wrote Debra Stoleroff.  "We felt surprised and hopeful."

In Terre Haute, Indiana, organizer Cathy McGuire reports, "Our fear was
that it would only be our core group of ten who would come [to our
demonstration], and when it turned into 40 we were thrilled…. It looks like
we are back in the demonstration business again."

In Providence, Rhode Island, the Community Coalition for Peace held a peace
march with about 450 participants. "As a result of the event," organizer
Mark Stahl reports, "we doubled the size of our listserv membership and
experienced a resurgence of enthusiasm and initiative in building for the
future."

Glade Church in Blacksburg, VA, hosted a candlelight peace vigil with about
20 participants -- the first directly anti-war event held at the church in
recent years.

A vigil, march, and town hall meeting in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, drew more
than 500 participants -- making it, in the words of organizer Matthew
Smucker, "the largest anti-war event in Lancaster at least in the past
three decades, possibly ever."

Finally, from Emporia, Kansas, Ellen Hansen writes, "e were a small group
of only 6 people. Nevertheless we lit candles, hiding them from the wind
blowing across the Kansas plains. … We discussed the importance of
participating even in a small gathering such as we held, in order to make
the statement that we are against the war in Iraq and that it is not being
conducting with our support or in our names. We live in a very RED state,
in a small city where no Democrats won at the local level last
November.…We're small, but we'll keep making a noise for change."

UFPJ's strategy for this year's anniversary of the war was to emphasize
local protests and local movement-building, rather than to focus on a
handful of large mobilizations in major cities. Judging from the reports
we've received, it was an extremely successful approach, helping to deepen
and broaden anti-war sentiment all across the nation.

Congratulations to everyone who helped make this such an important weekend
in our struggle to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home!