Support the Peace & Justice Agenda

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
Four more years of Bush? Support the peace & justice agenda!
Please donate generously to the work of UFPJ:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate
George W. Bush has just been sworn in as the President of the United
States. The inaugural ceremony was the centerpiece of several days filled
with all of the pomp and pageantry that $40 million can buy. While Bush's
remarks were filled with hollow rhetoric about freedom, dignity and human
rights, it was impossible to hide the arrogance and imperiousness of this
president and all that his administration stands for.

We ask you, on the day George W. Bush begins to work on his agenda for the
next four years, to help us implement our peace and justice agenda. We are
more determined than ever to resist Bush’s disastrous policies and end the
Iraq war – but we need your financial support, and we need it now.

You can donate in one of three convenient ways:
* By credit card online: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate
* By credit card over the phone: 212-868-5545
* By check or money order: UFPJ, P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, NY NY
10108

Early this morning, activists gathered in rallies and marches and along the
inaugural parade route to say no to this president. United for Peace and
Justice eagerly lent our support to these efforts. The millions of dollars
poured into excessive and oppressive "security" operations in Washington,
DC were in part designed to stifle the voice of dissent and weaken the
power of protest. We know that now, as the Bush administration launches its
second term, we must not only stand up for the right to protest but we must
hold on to that right by using it!

UFPJ is working hard to nurture the movement in every corner of this
country. Just as we helped build the protests in Washington, DC today, we
are committed to building and strengthening the educational and protest
efforts in cities and towns throughout the nation. Among other
developments, we recently released our “Winter/Spring Organizing Plan,”
developed in conjunction with our member groups, which gives a new
strategic focus to grassroots work to end the Iraq war.. We also recently
hired a new staff organizer, Rev. Osagyefo Uhuru Sekou, to coordinate
outreach to faith-based communities and communities of color.

UFPJ's second national assembly will be held in a month. Delegates from the
coalition's member groups will gather in St. Louis to decide on our program
of work for the next year and to elect the national leadership. In order to
make it as easy as possible for groups to send their delegates we are
keeping the registration fees for this important assembly very low. But
that means we need to raise funds to help cover some of the costs of an
undertaking of this scale.

We are also in high gear on the organizing for protest activities on
Saturday, March 19, the second anniversary of the beginning of the war on
Iraq. UFPJ has called for local actions in as many places as possible, with
the goals of expanding participation in the antiwar movement and showing
the nation and the world just how widespread and deep the antiwar sentiment
is in this country.

This is a massive organizing challenge and requires a tremendous commitment
of human and financial resources. Again, we turn to you for help with this
important project.

Can we count on your financial support? Will you take a moment right now,
before the inaugural balls have even begun, to make a donation to United
for Peace and Justice? What better way is there to rededicate oneself to
building this movement and challenge the policies of George W. Bush?

Please make the most generous donation you can today:
* By credit card online: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate
* By credit card over the phone: 212-868-5545
* By check or money order: UFPJ, P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, NY NY
10108

Thank you for your support!

UFPJ 2nd NATIONAL ASSEMBLY * Feb 19-21, St. Louis
Anti-war strategy & planning meeting
Register now: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/assembly