Subject: Weekly Watchdog: Tracking Toxic Air in Your Community
Date: Thursday 17 November 2011, 18:59:20
From: "Bill Buzenberg" <watchdog at publicintegrity.org>
To: "Francesco Iannuzzelli" <francesco at peacelink.org>

  Thursday, November 17, 2011

   Air pollution map tells a toxic story across the country

  When an interactive graphic delivers the goods, you know immediately. If you
haven’t had a chance to delve into the map accompanying our Poisoned Places
investigation, please check it out. Developed by our partner NPR, the graphic
shows 17,000 facilities that have emitted, and continue to emit, poisonous
chemicals into the air endangering the health of tens of thousands of American
citizens. This information is cross-indexed with EPA’s risk screening data. By
entering your ZIP code, you can “fly in” to your city or town and see who’s
polluting — and just how dangerous it may be to your own health. Collaboration
generates great investigative reporting and this map is a case in point. Many
news organizations at the local level are doing their own stories based on
this information. NPR reported this morning that the EPA has cracked down on a
polluting copper plant in Arizona.